Need a little MySQL help here...

SDS

Doesn't table-type make a lot of difference with MySQL, too? I don't know much about it, I make the DBAs do the work.  I've always thought that there were different types?

-Jeff

767795[/snapback]

It would, but do you know if he's on the non-default (ISAM/MyISAM) table type? Regardless, the downside to mySQL is that you get what you pay for as far as memory efficiency goes. You'll get much better memory usage out of db servers that cost $$$. But unless it's really causing you problems, there's no reason to switch...

• 2 months later...

for some reason, my mysql size has ballooned to 410MB. I think that is what has been causing unexplained board outages the last couple of days.

I guess re-optimizing the tables tonight would help, but certainly after I take the board offline so I don't hose it again like last time.

for some reason, my mysql size has ballooned to 410MB.  I think that is what has been causing unexplained board outages the last couple of days.

I guess re-optimizing the tables tonight would help, but certainly after I take the board offline so I don't hose it again like last time.

845070[/snapback]

Can you do it Thursday? For some reason I think it'll be pretty dead here then.

for some reason, my mysql size has ballooned to 410MB.  I think that is what has been causing unexplained board outages the last couple of days.

845070[/snapback]

after 11 pm i will be at work .

is that what happened to day ? down for 2 min .

Can you do it Thursday? For some reason I think it'll be pretty dead here then.

845095[/snapback]

Yeah I am sure he has nothing planned for Thursday. ;)

But I guess with all of the money he gets in member fees, ads, and pop-ups we should expect better service from him.

Yeah I am sure he has nothing planned for Thursday.  ;)

But I guess with all of the money he gets in member fees, ads, and pop-ups we should expect better service from him.

845124[/snapback]

all those pop-ups pay for my beamer... it's one sweet ride!

Ok, this is getting annoying. There is some MYSQL process (I believe) getting hung that causes the load to spike to 60. I rebooted yesterday, yet the problem reoccured today.

I am not in swap space. The size of 450MB per mysql process seems terribly high considering just a few months ago it was 210MB (see "top" result at the start of the thread).

I'm stumped on what to try next. Does anyone know a good way to diagnose what queries are being executed at any given moment?

Ok, this is getting annoying.  There is some MYSQL process (I believe) getting hung that causes the load to spike to 60.  I rebooted yesterday, yet the problem reoccured today.

I am not in swap space.  The size of 450MB per mysql process seems terribly high considering just a few months ago it was 210MB (see "top" result at the start of the thread).

I'm stumped on what to try next.  Does anyone know a good way to diagnose what queries are being executed at any given moment?

847342[/snapback]

Scott, it sounds like you will need to start sifting through the logs (mysql and possibly the system) to see if you can find anything. In general, I would say that info should be located under /var/log. However, since I don't know the *nix OS involved or how mysql was installed, that info could be elsewhere. Sorry I am not much more help.

Ok, this is getting annoying.  There is some MYSQL process (I believe) getting hung that causes the load to spike to 60.  I rebooted yesterday, yet the problem reoccured today.

I am not in swap space.  The size of 450MB per mysql process seems terribly high considering just a few months ago it was 210MB (see "top" result at the start of the thread).

I'm stumped on what to try next.  Does anyone know a good way to diagnose what queries are being executed at any given moment?

847342[/snapback]

You should have used XliRAD like told you a long time ago. Maintains constant DB connections rather than connecting and disconnecting, connecting and disconnecting and leaving orphans. But Heh, what do I know.

You'll get your shot again at XliRad in about 12 months when it is released again.

You should have used XliRAD like told you a long time ago. Maintains constant DB connections rather than connecting and disconnecting, connecting and disconnecting and leaving orphans. But Heh, what do I know.

You'll get your shot again at XliRad in about 12 months when it is released again.

847678[/snapback]

You also said php was a mickey mouse language that had no future. Now it is the standard language for dynamic database driven websites. But, Heh, what do I know.

It appears our issue was comment spam in the cookbook. Everything has been running great since I closed it.