The Patriots

Looks like Branch will make good on his promise to sit-out most of the season. He wasn't traded, in large part because of high contract demands and outrageous compensation demands (2-1st round picks :) ) by the Patriots.

In other news, promising rookie RB Laurence Maroney is out with a leg injury. He didn't practice all week and didn't play last night.

If there were any time for the Bills to steal a game, it's next Sunday.

Looks like Branch will make good on his promise to sit-out most of the season.  He wasn't traded, in large part because of high contract demands and outrageous compensation demands (2-1st round picks  :) ) by the Patriots.

Branch has filed a grievance with the NFLPA over the Patriots turning down whatever the Jets offered, which probably does effectively end his Patriots career. I just don't see the team welcoming back under any circumstances anymore. The grievance filing is just further confirmation that Branch's agent is an idiot - how can you file a grievance when YOU'RE IN BREACH OF CONTRACT?

In other news, promising rookie RB Laurence Maroney is out with a leg injury.  He didn't practice all week and didn't play last night.

Maroney showed nary a limp when leaving the field after his last play against Washington. Probably nothing. The Pats have played him surprisingly sparingly since the first game - I guess they feel they know what he's capable of and they don't want to burn him out.

Having a go at the prediction business again?

I don't know how Branch could file a grievance, but apparently he did. I guess the basis is the fact that the Patriots are demanding 2-1st round picks.

As for Maroney, the word is that he didn't practice all week. I can see him not playing much against the Deadskins or skipping last night, but if he didn't practice all week, it's likely he truly is injured.

And as for predictions, no I'm not making one for this game. I pencilled-in this and the Colts games as sure losses. I was merely saying that IF the Bills were going to steal a game from them, this was the one.

Branch has filed a grievance with the NFLPA over the Patriots turning down whatever the Jets offered, which probably does effectively end his Patriots career.  I just don't see the team welcoming back under any circumstances anymore.  The grievance filing is just further confirmation that Branch's agent is an idiot - how can you file a grievance when YOU'RE IN BREACH OF CONTRACT?

Maroney showed nary a limp when leaving the field after his last play against Washington.  Probably nothing.  The Pats have played him surprisingly sparingly since the first game - I guess they feel they know what he's capable of and they don't want to burn him out.

Having a go at the prediction business again?

759194[/snapback]

belichick's ego is already starting to take its toll on the team. dont kid yourself thinking the team wont miss branch. you guys have ffectively lost your top 2 WR's from last season. The whole "we dont any one player, we can plug someone else in" is going to bite them in the ass sooner rather than later. Hope brady has fun throwing to...who? Ben watson is the only real receiving threat on that team. So you cover watson, and who does marcia throw to? worthless reche caldwell? troy brown? (whos older than marv and ralph). Your first round rookie? jackson from UF? he's just another in a long line of UF WR busts.

I don't know how Branch could file a grievance, but apparently he did.  I guess the basis is the fact that the Patriots are demanding 2-1st round picks.

Any explanation that Branch and Chayut provide as their motivation for filing a grievance will be woefully unsuitable. Branch is in breach of contract and the Patriots are under no circumstances required to do anything but hold him to his contract.

As for Maroney, the word is that he didn't practice all week.  I can see him not playing much against the Deadskins or skipping last night, but if he didn't practice all week, it's likely he truly is injured.

By "nothing," I meant nothing serious. He'll likely be ready to go against the Bills.

belichick's ego is already starting to take its toll on the team. dont kid yourself thinking the team wont miss branch. you guys have ffectively lost your top 2 WR's from last season. The whole "we dont any one player, we can plug someone else in" is going to bite them in the ass sooner rather than later. Hope brady has fun throwing to...who? Ben watson is the only real receiving threat on that team. So you cover watson, and who does marcia [sic] throw to? worthless reche caldwell? troy brown? (whos older than marv and ralph). Your first round rookie? jackson from UF? he's just another in a long line of UF WR busts.

Capital letters and paragraph breaks are your friend.

Capital letters and paragraph breaks are your friend.

759208[/snapback]

complete sentences too difficult for you to understand? I'll try again.

You are a worthless troll.

In another year, you will dust off your phil simms jersey and claim you were a giants fan all along.

Thats how it goes with you new england "fans".

Branch can file a grievance because the Pats verbally agreed to him that if he found them a 'reasonable' offer of trade from another team, they would deal.

He believes he did, Pats said no.

There you go.

Branch can file a grievance because the Pats verbally agreed to him that if he found them a 'reasonable' offer of trade from another team, they would deal. 

He believes he did, Pats said no. 

There you go.

759236[/snapback]

Exactly. The grievence has nothing to do with his contract (on the surface) it's more about the Pats not holding up their word in allowing him to persue a deal...

...but Hollywood is right on some level because Branch does have a deal signed that he is breaking. The Pats broke their word as well by not allowing him to be traded.

Basically, both sides are acting like children. It's not the Pats fault, nor is it really Branch's. It's the nature of the game.

On one hand, player's contracts aren't guaranteed, so you can't blame Branch for wanting more money and more protection. And on the other hand, the contract is what it is, so you can't blame the Pats for wanting to hold him to it.

Exactly. The grievence has nothing to do with his contract (on the surface) it's more about the Pats not holding up their word in allowing him to persue a deal...

...but Hollywood is right on some level because Branch does have a deal signed that he is breaking. The Pats broke their word as well by not allowing him to be traded.

Basically, both sides are acting like children. It's not the Pats fault, nor is it really Branch's. It's the nature of the game.

On one hand, player's contracts aren't guaranteed, so you can't blame Branch for wanting more money and more protection. And on the other hand, the contract is what it is, so you can't blame the Pats for wanting to hold him to it.

759249[/snapback]

Once the Pats agreed in priniple to a trade, they opened up the doors for this. If they had said(& they still might have) "Go see what you can get & we'll let you know." Branch won't have a leg to stand on.

I find it quite pleasing that there is a level of disharmony at the Patriots. :)

Does anyone know if Branch is liked/disliked by his fellow players?

Once the Pats agreed in priniple to a trade, they opened up the doors for this.  If they had said(& they still might have) "Go see what you can get & we'll let you know."  Branch won't have a leg to stand on. 

I find it quite pleasing that there is a level of disharmony at the Patriots.  :)

Does anyone know if Branch is liked/disliked by his fellow players?

759256[/snapback]

Of course I too love the fact that it's happening to the Pats. But the realist in me knows that it could just as easily happen here in Buffalo -- or any other team in the league. It's the nature of beast, you know what I mean?

Do they still have Bethel Johnson? I seem to remember that jackass pulling up clutch for them against us a time or three.

759226[/snapback]

Bethel is long gone, to the Saints for DT Johnathan Sullivan (another high-round bust).

Hey HD, any surprise at the Beisel/Chad Brown cuts? Me neither. Makes for an interesting depth chart at LB, though.

Apparently that Midas touch with FA signees isn't 100% effective after all...

complete sentences too difficult for you to understand?

No, quite the contrary. Complete and properly structured sentences are what I'm asking of you.

Do they still have Bethel Johnson? I seem to remember that jackass pulling up clutch for them against us a time or three.

Bethel's gone to the Saints for fellow bust Johnathan Sullivan. I believe you're confusing Bethel for someone else, because he's come up clutch exactly once in his career, against the Titans in the '03-'04 divisional playoffs.

Pats evidently found the Jets' compensation package unreasonable, which it seems is well within their rights due to the vagueness of the verbal agreement. Thus, a pointless grievance.

Hey HD, any surprise at the Beisel/Chad Brown cuts?

No, both showed nothing in their year+ as Patriots.

It never has been. People just have higher standards for the Patriots' under-the-radar FA signings now because so many have worked out.

Bethel is long gone, to the Saints for DT Johnathan Sullivan (another high-round bust).

BJ is on IR and Sullivan is either going to be cut or probably the last DL on the Pats' roster and likely an every gameday inactive, barring injury, which always seem to plague the Pats.

Hey HD, any surprise at the Beisel/Chad Brown cuts? Me neither. Makes for an interesting depth chart at LB, though.

Pretty much every one of their FA signings last year proved to be worthless. I think only Heath Evans actually contributed anything, mostly against his former team (the Dolphins).

759189[/snapback]

We have a chance if the Pats players listen to the local media. They are treating the home opener like a fifth pre-season game. They have absolutely no respect for the Bills. I know Belichick preaches not to take any opponent likely, but these guys are human. They watch ESPN and NFL Network. Nobody respects the Bills so why should they? We have to go into Gillette Stadium and punch them in the nose right away.

That's the biggest upside to the disrespect the Bills get from the media.

PTR

Pats evidently found the Jets' compensation package unreasonable, which it seems is well within their rights due to the vagueness of the verbal agreement. 

759274[/snapback]

...and that is why it is going to court....to determine which side is being unreasonable.

Hey Hollywood, does the Sullivan trade mean a possible move to the 4-3 for you guys? You are somewhat thin at LB and was Sullivan really that bad for NO, or did he just not play up to his draft status? Also, sure, you may be thin at WR, but I think your Oline will be killer, plus 2 great TE's. I hope we beat your asses, but you guys should be able to ball-control the hell out of us.