What to make of the Titans signing K Collins?

Buftex

I think the Titans signing Kerry Collins is one of the oddest signing of the off-season, even odder than the Raiders signing Jeff George...it tells me at least one of two things:

1- Titans feel like Vince Young is a long way aways from being an NFL starting QB...

2- Billy Volek is trade bait...

Why would the Titans sign him, especially at this late date, unless they have come to some conclusions about Volek and Young? This is not like picking up Rohan Davey, Cliff Kingsbury or even Jeff Smoker...I wouldn't be surprised to see Volek traded to the Raiders (it was fun Jeff!), Browns, Jets, or even a team like the Chargers or 49'ers.

I think the Titans signing Kerry Collins is one of the oddest signing of the off-season, even odder than the Raiders signing Jeff George...it tells me at least one of two things:

1- Titans feel like Vince Young is a long way aways from being an NFL starting QB...

Why would the Titans sign him, especially at this late date, unless they have come to some conclusions about Volek and Young?  This is not like picking up Rohan Davey, Cliff Kingsbury or even Jeff Smoker...I wouldn't be surprised to see Volek traded to the Raiders (it was fun Jeff!), Browns, Jets, or even a team like the Chargers or 49'ers.

755972[/snapback]

It's because Billy hasn't looked very good in camp.

Vince was never supposed to be the starter this year, and the Titans realized that (hence the plan to start Volek).

However, everything I've read indicates Volek has had a horrific camp, which promoted the Collins signing.

Why would the Titans sign him, especially at this late date, unless they have come to some conclusions about Volek and Young?  This is not like picking up Rohan Davey, Cliff Kingsbury or even Jeff Smoker...I wouldn't be surprised to see Volek traded to the Raiders (it was fun Jeff!), Browns, Jets, or even a team like the Chargers or 49'ers.

755972[/snapback]

I think this tells us how much the NFL really is a the future is now league and with the salary cap having gone up under the new CBA we are seeing teams invest the extra cap room in getting a player they can market and sale tickets now on the hope an dream that some washed QB is gonna be the new savior when folks would have a hard time accepting the illusion that a player with no winning record or hype to fall back on or who is a failed member of the old team is somehow gonna be a savior.

The most interesting thing about other teams cutting bait on their past failures and teams buying new hopes is that when one looks at the Titans. the Raiders and also Detroit (ESPN was saying today thay are likely to cut two recent 1st round WR picks which adds to their having picked bust Harringtion earlier than we picked bust MW) is that as bad as folks feel about the Bills prospects, I think the situation of these 3 teams is worse than ours.

Given that we play two of these three teams this year and the Jets twice, even if you feel we are a bad team these are four possible victories and we probably are the favorite at this point in at least 2 if not three of these games.

I read or heard somewhere yesterday that Vince is "three years away" from being ready to start in the NFL. Ouch. Volek has been subpar in preseason, but I don't think he's going anywhere. I'd expect Collins to start w/ Volek the #2.

I read or heard somewhere yesterday that Vince is "three years away" from being ready to start in the NFL.  Ouch.  Volek has been subpar in preseason, but I don't think he's going anywhere.  I'd expect Collins to start w/ Volek the #2.

755997[/snapback]

Meanwhile, in the desert, the word is that Lienhart may be ready to start this year. I only bring up this point because if the Titans had taken Lienhart, like I think they should have, I believe the Raiders would have taken Young, and we would have a different first-round safety on the roster today. Make what you will of that.

Word is that all the press is sucking Matt Leinart off whether he is ready or not, although they are not sucking him as much as Reggie Bush who must be related to Bruschi with all of the love he gets. Also he is on a much better offense than Tenesee, which is the huge benefit of dropping on draft day.

I was a big proponent of getting Volek in here years ago. Once again we see how fortunate the world is that I am not running a football team.

756059[/snapback]

It's a shame you're not running the Patriots.

Word is that all the press is sucking Matt Leinart off whether he is ready or not, although they are not sucking him as much as Reggie Bush who must be related to Bruschi with all of the love he gets.  Also he is on a much better offense than Tenesee, which is the huge benefit of dropping on draft day.

756048[/snapback]

I was at the Bears/Cards game on Friday at Soldier field and saw Leinart play. He looked good and lead that offence against a good bears defence. For his first game (and yes I realize it was against second and third stringers) he looked pretty good and may be given the chance to start if the Cards start slowly or something happens to Kurt Warner