Ahh.... The Power Of Positive Thought

I was originally going to post this on the predictions thread but I saw where I was going and decided I wanted to share this with as many as possible. If you look at the way this board has evolved over the years it seems there is a lot of negativity. Oh there were some people back in 96 & 97 that were pretty bad, but it seems more rampant these days. Now I know we have had a lot of bad luck. I know that even when things look good, we as Buffalo fans tend to be on the edge of our seats waiting for the wheels to come off. Seriously, think about it. When we were beating the Pats last season only to have them come back, did you find yourself wondering when something bad was going to happen? You have to start to wonder how much of this we bring on ourselves? Let me share a little bit about the power of positive thought

"In Washington DC, the so called murder capital of the world, there was a big experiment in the summer of 1993 where 4000 volunteers came from 100 countries to collectively meditate for long periods of time throughout the day. It was predicted in advance that with such a sized group you would have a 25% drop in violent crime, as defined by the FBI, in Washington that summer. Well, the chief of police went on television saying that 'look it is going to take two feet of snow to reduce crime by 25% in Washington DC this summer'. But by the end the police department became a collaborator and author of this study because the results in fact showed a 25% percent drop in violent crime in Washing DC, which we could predict based on 48 previous studies that had been done on a smaller scale." - John Hagelin, PhD, Professor of Physics and Director of the Institute of Science Technology and Public Policy at Maharishi University (long title I know)

"Do people, are people, affecting the world of the reality they see? You betcha they are. Every single one of affects the reality that we see, even if we try to hide from that and play victim

We all are doing it" Fred Alan Wolf, Ph.D UCLA Physicist, lecturer & writer

Both quotes come from a movie called "What the Bleep Do We Know" ( Check it out) that I would recommend every single person to watch particularly fans of the Buffalo Bills or Sabres While you may not agree with everything it has to say, it will make you think. (Yes, I know this will preclude some on this board from getting into it) Anyway...

While I am not saying we have to try and see the world through rose-colored glasses I am suggesting trying to visualize the team doing good things. Visualize how the Bills can turn it around and bring joy back into our Sunday afternoons. Try and focus on the good things that need to happen for us to do well rather than the negatives that will surely make us fans of a losing team for sure. Hell if the F'd up city of Washington can get a 25% drop in violent crime as a result of people meditating on it, the Bills nation should be able to affect some games in a positive way by thinking positive as well, right? Just close your eyes for a minute here and visualize the things that we need to happen for the Bills to be what we want them to be.

With that thought in mind, here is how I visualize the Bills turning it around this year. While I will be the first to admit this may not happen, it could and if it does I will be happy in a way I've not been in a while. It starts with the Pats. Here is how I visualize the game...

NE opens the game with a strong drive and scores. After this the Bills defense stiffens. A couple of three and outs for both teams. Late in the first half, what looks like a play in which Brady is going to make a great pass to an obviously open TE, is at the last minute it is knocked down by one of the D-Line. NE is held to a field goal. Without much time the Bills mount a drive in which both Willis and JP play key roles in keeping the drive alive and the Bills score a touchdown to bring them within three with the score 10-7.

The pats score on the opening drive of the 3rd extending the lead to ten. They then get a field goal, going up 13. Nothing much happens until late in the fourth when the Bills put together a drive and score cutting the NE lead to six. The pats respond and mount a drive quickly getting to the Bills 26 or so. Brady drops back and hits one of his young receivers in stride, cleanly beating Troy Vincent. Whitner hits the receiver to take him down at around the ten and forces a fumble. Billicheck has his challenge overruled and with three minutes or so left the Bills find themselves down by six. After getting stifled on the first two downs, Losman steps up to avoid a strong rush and hits Parrish for 16. That sparks a drive that appears to stall out at around the NE 36 when JP is sacked with 48 seconds left. On third and a mile, he and Evans hook up on a great play to get to the 12. With 12 seconds left JP finds Royal in the end zone. They successfully cover the kickoff Brady has one shot. The receiver runs the route wrong and the pass is incomplete.

Game over.

This brings us to my final prediction for opening day

Bills 21

Pats 20

It could happen and it could go further if we believe it can. Going into week two, the Phelons high on their week one victory talk a lot of smack but make a couple big mistakes early in the game that allow the bills to play with an early 10 point lead. The Bills hold off a late rally by Miami and pull off the win. Now the Bills start to develop some confidence. They open at home on a high and destroy the Jets. With three divisions wins things start to snowball. Of course they make their share of mistakes as young teams do, but as is the case with good (and lucky) young teams they respond and make a playoff run. With fortune and confidence in their favor it could happen.

Who knows how far it could go with the power of positive thought of the Bills Nation. Yeah I know it may not be likely, but it could happen so next time you see something going on in the game instead of envisioning what could go wrong for the Bills try envisioning what could go right.

What do you visualize? The consistency of the line could lead to a much better line?

Losman could improve into a great quarterback? Whitner could offset rookie mistakes with big plays? Peerless could be the factor he was when paired with Moulds? Takeo could get back to where he was? Etc. Etc. Etc?

So what do you think? Should we give it a try? We have nothing to lose but our negativity.

Think positive! Believe! The Bills can achieve.

I was originally going to post this on the predictions thread but I saw where I was going and decided I wanted to share this with as many as possible. If you look at the way this board has evolved over the years it seems there is a lot of negativity. Oh there were some people back in 96 & 97 that were pretty bad, but it seems more rampant these days. Now I know we have had a lot of bad luck. I know that even when things look good, we as Buffalo fans tend to be on the edge of our seats waiting for the wheels to come off. Seriously, think about it. When we were beating the Pats last season only to have them come back, did you find yourself wondering when something bad was going to happen? You have to start to wonder how much of this we bring on ourselves? Let me share a little bit about the power of positive thought

"In Washington DC, the so called murder capital of the world, there was a big experiment in the summer of 1993 where 4000 volunteers came from 100 countries to collectively meditate for long periods of time throughout the day. It was predicted in advance that with such a sized group you would have a 25% drop in violent crime, as defined by the FBI, in Washington that summer. Well, the chief of police went on television saying that 'look it is going to take two feet of snow to reduce crime by 25% in Washington DC this summer'. But by the end the police department became a collaborator and author of this study because the results in fact showed a 25% percent drop in violent crime in Washing DC, which we could predict based on 48 previous studies that had been done on a smaller scale." - John Hagelin, PhD, Professor of Physics and Director of the Institute of Science Technology and Public Policy at Maharishi University (long title I know)

"Do people, are people, affecting the world of the reality they see? You betcha they are. Every single one of affects the reality that we see, even if we try to hide from that and play victim 

We all are doing it" Fred Alan Wolf, Ph.D UCLA Physicist, lecturer & writer

Both quotes come from a movie called "What the Bleep Do We Know" ( Check it out) that I would recommend every single person to watch particularly fans of the Buffalo Bills or Sabres While you may not agree with everything it has to say, it will make you think. (Yes, I know this will preclude some on this board from getting into it) Anyway...

While I am not saying we have to try and see the world through rose-colored glasses I am suggesting trying to visualize the team doing good things. Visualize how the Bills can turn it around and bring joy back into our Sunday afternoons. Try and focus on the good things that need to happen for us to do well rather than the negatives that will surely make us fans of a losing team for sure. Hell if the F'd up city of Washington can get a 25% drop in violent crime as a result of people meditating on it, the Bills nation should be able to affect some games in a positive way by thinking positive as well, right? Just close your eyes for a minute here and visualize the things that we need to happen for the Bills to be what we want them to be.

With that thought in mind, here is how I visualize the Bills turning it around this year. While I will be the first to admit this may not happen, it could and if it does I will be happy in a way I've not been in a while. It starts with the Pats. Here is how I visualize the game...

NE opens the game with a strong drive and scores. After this the Bills defense stiffens. A couple of three and outs for both teams. Late in the first half, what looks like a play in which Brady is going to make a great pass to an obviously open TE, is at the last minute it is knocked down by one of the D-Line. NE is held to a field goal. Without much time the Bills mount a drive in which both Willis and JP play key roles in keeping the drive alive and the Bills score a touchdown to bring them within three with the score 10-7.

The pats score on the opening drive of the 3rd extending the lead to ten.  They then get a field goal, going up 13. Nothing much happens until late in the fourth when the Bills put together a drive and score cutting the NE lead to six. The pats respond and mount a drive quickly getting to the Bills 26 or so. Brady drops back and hits one of his young receivers in stride, cleanly beating Troy Vincent. Whitner hits the receiver to take him down at around the ten and forces a fumble. Billicheck has his challenge overruled and with three minutes or so left the Bills find themselves down by six. After getting stifled on the first two downs, Losman steps up to avoid a strong rush and hits Parrish for 16. That sparks a drive that appears to stall out at around the NE 36 when JP is sacked with 48 seconds left. On third and a mile, he and Evans hook up on a great play to get to the 12. With 12 seconds left JP finds Royal in the end zone. They successfully cover the kickoff Brady has one shot. The receiver runs the route wrong and the pass is incomplete.

Game over.

This brings us to my final prediction for opening day

Bills 21

Pats 20

It could happen and it could go further if we believe it can. Going into week two, the Phelons high on their week one victory talk a lot of smack but make a couple big mistakes early in the game that allow the bills to play with an early 10 point lead. The Bills hold off a late rally by Miami and pull off the win. Now the Bills start to develop some confidence. They open at home on a high and destroy the Jets. With three divisions wins things start to snowball. Of course they make their share of mistakes as young teams do, but as is the case with good (and lucky) young teams they respond and make a playoff run. With fortune and confidence in their favor it could happen.

Who knows how far it could go with the power of positive thought of the Bills Nation. Yeah I know it may not be likely, but it could happen so next time you see something going on in the game instead of envisioning what could go wrong for the Bills try envisioning what could go right.

What do you visualize? The consistency of the line could lead to a much better line?

Losman could improve into a great quarterback? Whitner could offset rookie mistakes with big plays? Peerless could be the factor he was when paired with Moulds? Takeo could get back to where he was? Etc. Etc. Etc?

So what do you think? Should we give it a try? We have nothing to lose but our negativity.

Think positive!      Believe!      The Bills can achieve.

755075[/snapback]

OMG that is one long post.

What an odd way of interpreting the data.

Let's for the sake of argument assume what you wrote is correct & 4000 people meditating reduced crime that day by 25%. To interpret by that that the 4000 people altered reality so therefore we can alter how the Bills play by 'wishing' is stretch after stretch.

Firstly, I would think that the crime was lowered because fewer people decided to commit crime that day than other days. This suggests that by meditating, one can influence how others think(or emote). Running on that basis, if we all meditated(not simply thought strongly or wished) on the Bills playing with confidence, aggression & focus(as example) the players might increase in those areas.

Scientists have known for decades that positive thinking staves off illness, increases productivity & extends average life-spans.....try & get a pessimist to believe it though. :P

try & get a pessimist to believe it though. :doh:

755098[/snapback]

You are right about the pessimist and sorry it was a long post but I got off on a tear. I agree with issue you have with the evauation of data. By the way I did not write it I quoted it, but it is documented fact that you can look up. It was not simply a day but the whole summer. Still, we all know that anyone can make stats and research that could be (or is knowingly) flawed work to back an argument. Ask Bill Clinton, Dick Cheney or the guys at Enron. The point I am making is that if people are positive positive things can happen. I am not saying we all need meditate either, just to try and change to a more positive outlook. I was using the quotes as a qualifier for the line of thought that suggests we impact the world around us becuase there is research that indicates that we do. Not just by some quacks either, by competent educated professionals.

Yay quantum physics!