Bills Claim Joe Odom

Griff28

Given the injury issues throughout his career, this may be one for the Bills docs to make a judgment about. This of course assumes that the lack of effort noted by a couple of Bears posters regarding Odom's play in SF is either not really an issue or is one solved by him finding a new life in Buffalo.

Play him. Judge him and we'll see as best as I can tell.

The only LBs I think that are safe are Spikes, Fletcher, Crowell, Stamer and Haggan. I think Odom's a solid pickup as he's familiar with our system and D coordinator and adds depth.

750504[/snapback]

Although I don't foresee Haggan or Stamer going anywhere, I think W. Hunter might be safer than those two. He got the start in the Cinci game and has been working with the 2nd team while Stamer has mainly been delegated, as of late anyway, to 3rd team deffense.

Although I don't foresee Haggan or Stamer going anywhere, I think W. Hunter might be safer than those two.  He got the start in the Cinci game and has been working with the 2nd team while Stamer has mainly been delegated, as of late anyway, to 3rd team deffense.

750567[/snapback]

Right now Jauron seems to be giving players reps to test them and see whether he wants to keep them rather than giving them reps because they are better.

For example, i think Geisinger is the #2 C not because he is clearly better than Preston, but I think the Bills want to see whether if Preston has to take Villarial's place whether Geisinger can really be the #2.

I think Shaud Williams is doing a lot of KR work not because there is any illusion that it is him rather than McGee we will count on this year, but to test whether there is good reason to keep Shaud around since both A-Train and Gates are probably better RBs.

In this light, i think that the Bills may not make the judgement that Hunter is #4 among the LBs but they want to get a really good look at him when they decide whether he is a keeper or should be cut.

Right now Jauron seems to be giving players reps to test them and see whether he wants to keep them rather than giving them reps because they are better.

For example, i think Geisinger is the #2 C not because he is clearly better than Preston, but I think the Bills want to see whether if Preston has to take Villarial's place whether Geisinger can really be the #2.

I think Shaud Williams is doing a lot of KR work not because there is any illusion that it is him rather than McGee we will count on this year, but to test whether there is good reason to keep Shaud around since both A-Train and Gates are probably better RBs.

In this light, i think that the Bills may not make the judgement that Hunter is #4 among the LBs but they want to get a really good look at him when they decide whether he is a keeper or should be cut.

750571[/snapback]

Very well could be, good point; although I've never really been that impressed with either Stamer or Haggan besides Special Teams. I really hope LB is addressed on Day 1 of next years draft.

Very well could be, good point; although I've never really been that impressed with either Stamer or Haggan besides Special Teams.  I really hope LB is addressed on Day 1 of next years draft.

750573[/snapback]

After Watson proved to be a dry hole, I'm actually most worried about the #2 MLB slot if Fletch ever goes down or if we have to let him go when he hits FA (I like his play but his little body has seen a lot of mileage these past 5 years as he has been creditied with more tackles than any other player in the NFL over this time).

I think we are fine at the Sam slot as the many observations from knowledgable football posters who predicted TKO would need more than a year if he ever recovered from his achilles tear based on their experience that it had cost other players their career.

While this is true these folks showed that while they certainly know history they are not the team doctors. Its too early yet to declare TKO totally healed and back to his old Pro Bowl self, but certainly all objective signs point to him being ready to play if necessary and being held back as a precaution rather than out of necessity. If TKO and the team were speaking with guarded language or lowering expectations or if he spent all his time in shorts or in the locker room on the trainers table rather than being dressed and doing non-contact drills then these predictions of DOOM and GLOOM would be justified. However, he seems to be working hard, still talking about thje first regular season game (if not a pre-season appearance being his first outing. It appears not that folks were wrong about how long achilles tear recovery will take, but it appears that the initial description of this as a total tear were probably not completely accurate. Though any injury which requires surgery justifiavly put him on the IR last year, my guess given the work and predictions is simply that the tear was not as bad as first reported given the speed he seems to have come back with. He will lose some speed likely but this seems to have been taken into account with the move from Will to Sam.

As the depth chart shows Haggan, the now impressive Hunter and the well-regarded Ellison behind him, i feel good about the Sam position.

At Will , I feel good about Crowell starting as I think he is the real deal after he was quite impressive filling in for TKO last tear. I look forward to seeing him start. Stamer from what I have seen is not gonna be the kind of fill in which Crowell proved to be for TKO last year if necessary. However, I think Stamer has shown us a bit in his fill-in play and actually can be counted upon to give the starter a rest for a couple of plays and fill-in if necessary for a handful of plays with no drop-off. If he needs to pace himself to last the whole game we are likely in trouble, but if he can let it all hnd out for a few plays as he has on ST and in a reserve role the last couple of years I think he can perform well. We saw this with some of his ST work last year and also with a nice bat of a ball at the line and then he kept track of it and made a leaping INT in 2004. I like his attitude and athleticism as a fill-in and on ST.

We'll see regarding Odom, he sounds like an SE demon when he plays but has a history of injuries.

Mike is my worry with Ezekial being the current back-up. If Fletch goes down I likely would move Crowell over to Mike as he was #2 here until TKO went down.

We'll see,

This doesn't worry any of you?

My god, i really hope this staff is not trying to pull a Donahoe by bringing in guys they are familiar with. See Eddie Robinson and Lance Brown. This guy played under Jauron i am assuming, and i would be really concerned if Watson goes elsewhere and succeeds. What if Watson was merely cut because Jauron favors this guy.

Tom Donahoe did this exact thing and you guys bit into it like it was the apple of eden. What do you guys think makes this so different from when Donahoe brought his guys in -although most of them didn't play like guys -?

If i were you guys, as i am, i would be very concerned about this pick up.

750581[/snapback]

Watson wasn't going to see the field, and he wasn't in shape. Odom, at best, will be a special teams standout.

This staff is willing to turn over lots of rocks to find some help. 

Hey, we picked up Tasker off of the waiver wire so you never know.

750426[/snapback]

Absolutely.

True or not, my impression was that the TD regime didn't bring in enough players for a "look-see", for lack of a better term. The more the merrier...it certainly can't hurt - there's been numerous times a guy bagging groceries or selling insurance...or doing magic tricks got a try-out and helped out a club to some extent.

My god, i really hope this staff is not trying to pull a Donahoe by bringing in guys they are familiar with. See Eddie Robinson and Lance Brown. This guy played under Jauron i am assuming, and i would be really concerned if Watson goes elsewhere and succeeds. What if Watson was merely cut because Jauron favors this guy.

Tom Donahoe did this exact thing and you guys bit into it like it was the apple of eden. What do you guys think makes this so different from when Donahoe brought his guys in -although most of them didn't play like guys -?

750581[/snapback]

I agree with folks above and am willing to use the bandwidth to underscore the point. There would seem to be a big difference between GW bromgomg in a washed up Eddie Robinson to start or a washed up Jenkins to start and Jauron bringing in folks who found to be good character guys in Chicago to play ST and back-up.

If Odom cannot cut it, too bad but well OK. However, when Jenkins could not cut it then we were forced ti start Coy Wire.

If you want to worry about something, I had Watson penciled in as our plan B at MLB and now it is Liam Ezekial on the depth chart and really probably Angelo Crowell at #2 MLB. I do not think Ezekial can come in with even a manageable but large drop-off we had last year being forced to go form Pro Bowl worthy TKO to good but no one is TKO Crowell. I do not see Ezekial or the likely cascade of Stamer stepping for Crowell who has moved to replace Fletcher if he is injured as manageable. its tolerable at best.

However, on the half full side, I'm glad that the worry is about adequate back-ups rather than whether we have adequate starters which proved to be the case with the 03 rebuilding.

750581[/snapback]

There was a meeting a couple days ago at One Bills Drive that went something like this. I am not sure of the exact quotes, but basically this is what was said:

John Guy: What do you guys think about Joe Odom? We like him. Tough nosed kid.

Jauron: I drafted him. He played well for me. Competition could push Hunter and Haggan and Stamer.

Fewell: I coached him last year. He's a hustle guy. Has talent. Experienced starter. I know my starters but I'm not completely sold on all the back-ups. I say bring him in to compete.

Marv: I like his character. Doesn't ensure a roster spot but let the kids fight it out.

Janitor: Yeah, but Gregg Williams brought in Eddie Robinson and Tom Donohoe brought in Lance Brown. They knew those guys and they never panned out.

Jauron: Yeah. Forget it. That never works. You never see Parcells or Bellicheck or Holmgren bringing in players they're familiar with.

Fewell: Yeah. Fukk Odom. Mr. Guy, get me some players I know nothing about in here.

There was a meeting a couple days ago at One Bills Drive that went something like this. I am not sure of the exact quotes, but basically this is what was said:

Jauron: I drafted him. He played well for me. Competition could push Hunter and Haggan and Stamer.

Fewell: I coached him last year. He's a hustle guy. Has talent. Experienced starter. I know my starters but I'm not completely sold on all the back-ups. I say bring him in to compete.

Marv: I like his character. Doesn't ensure a roster spot but let the kids fight it out.

Janitor: Yeah, but Gregg Williams brought in Eddie Robinson and Tom Donohoe brought in Lance Brown. They knew those guys and they never panned out.

Jauron: Yeah. Forget it. That never works. You never see Parcells or Bellicheck or Holmgren bringing in players they're familiar with.

Fewell: Yeah. Fukk Odom. Mr. Guy, get me some players I know nothing about in here.

750724[/snapback]

WOW! Thats is exactly like I pictured it.

750724[/snapback]

Brilliant. :lol:

750724[/snapback]

I don't do it often, but i tip my hat to you.