WGR #1 sports station in the

Hammered a Lot

Promo heard the other day, You are listening to the #1 sports station in the nation.

Wow! If gr is setting the bar at #1, I feel sorry for the rest of the nation.

749029[/snapback]

They are saying the #1 rated. WTF does that mean anyway? Did they get their #'s from an internet poll?

Promo heard the other day, You are listening to the #1 sports station in the nation.

Wow! If gr is setting the bar at #1, I feel sorry for the rest of the nation.

749029[/snapback]

I did hear that...I believe that was ratings % per market for the 2nd quarter of the year (Apr-Jun.)

It does make sense, only one sports talk radio channel in town, and people were tuning in to hear about the Sabres playoff run. I don't doubt they were #1.

It's like when the Buffalo News is #1 in the nation in % print readership. It's the only game in town.

Alan Pergament

About halfway down column Pergament notes:

WGR gets its share of criticism here, but you can't argue with success. According to figures supplied by programmer Andy Roth, it was the No. 1 rated sports station in the nation during the spring ratings period of March 30 to June 21. The channel benefited greatly during those months from carrying the Buffalo Sabres run to the Eastern Conference finals of the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Mike Schopp was mentioning it often last week.

It is alright to give WGR credit for some good radio during this past winter and spring. Brad and the others did do a good job in having many of the Sabre players, coaches , management on from day to day, for those who followed the Sabres and found much enjoyment in this past season, WGR was very much part of telling the story. The station does get some things right. Good for them.

It is alright to give WGR credit for some good radio during this past winter and spring.  Brad and the others did do a good job in having many of the Sabre players, coaches , management on from day to day, for those who followed the Sabres and found much enjoyment in this past season, WGR was very much part of telling the story. The station does get some things right.  Good for them.

749334[/snapback]

Nah, EVERYTHING about GR sucks!! :devil:0:)

Still bitter eh?

749038[/snapback]

No, not at all. I went down to their broadcast on Friday and talked with the tech guy (he was the only worker that I know there the rest were new interns) and when Cris Parker saw me, he waved but because he was on the air we could not talk.

Does that sound like I am bitter?

No, not at all. I went down to their broadcast on Friday and talked with the tech guy (he was the only worker that I know there the rest were new interns) and when Cris Parker saw me, he waved but because he was on the air we could not talk.

Does that sound like I am bitter?

749392[/snapback]

Bitter? No. Stalker - maybe... :devil:

Buffalo needs a sports station that can tell us the Bills are awesome, JP is Jim Kelly resurrected, and Super Bowl XLI here we come!

Anything other than that is garbage.

749433[/snapback]

Good heavens, no...where'd ya get that? If they did that, they'd be just as unobjective as they are now.

What makes them SUCK is that every time I would tune in (and I haven't in months 'cause they're so friggn' God-awful lousy), they're usually talking about anything BUT sports - i.e., politics, recipes, Canada-bashing, 'favorite 'chick-flicks', what to do on Valentine's Day, etc., etc. (OK, that...and their arrogant freakin' attitudes AND their constant Bills-bashing.)

But what's so ridiculously bogus about the whole #1 thing is that it's such a vile canard. There wasn't any poll or survey of their listening audience - just a claim that - in terms of market share, they are ranked #1 - in a market where there is no #2!!! I'll bet 'Mensa Mike' doesn't mention that.

It's kinda like me claiming to be the #1 person typing on my keyboard right now.