My expectations of Losman

LabattBlue

Assuming he plays 16 games, I believe these are fairly realistics goals...

- 52-55% completion percentage

- 2800 yards passing

- 18 passing TD's

- 500 yards rushing

- 3 rushing td's

- 18 interceptions

- 40 times or less being sacked

How I expect the coaches to use Losman...

- Roll him out at least 4 or 5 times a game. One of his strengths is his mobility and with this offensive line, keeping him in the pocket on every passing play will be a disaster. Keep the defense guessing.

- Allow him to run when there are no WR's open and there is room to run. Once again, take advantage of his mobility in order to keep the chains moving.

- Figure out which throws he excels at and drop the ones he has problems with. Simplify the playbook and don't ask too much of him all at once.

- Call at least one or two designed running plays every game. Naked bootlegs, QB draws, etc...

- 2800 yards passing

- 18 passing TD's

- 500 yards rushing

- 3 rushing td's

- 18 interceptions

- Roll him out at least 4 or 5 times a game.  One of his strengths is his mobility and with this offensive line, keeping him in the pocket on every passing play will be a disaster.  Keep the defense guessing.

- Allow him to run when there are no WR's open and there is room to run.  Once again, take advantage of his mobility in order to keep the chains moving.

- Figure out which throws he excels at and drop the ones he has problems with.  Simplify the playbook and don't ask too much of him all at once. 

- Call at least one or two designed running plays every game.  Naked bootlegs, QB draws, etc...

748640[/snapback]

I'll be more optimistic and say 55-58% completion and 19 TD's to 16 Int's. JP played much better the 2nd half of the season and I think that might be more on par.

- 2800 yards passing

- 18 passing TD's

- 500 yards rushing

- 3 rushing td's

- 18 interceptions

If he was a first year starter I would agree, but I am seeting my bar a bit higher for a 3rd year pro...

- 55% completion percentage

- 2800 yards passing

- 20 TDs

- 400 rushing yards

- 5 rushing TDs

- 16 INTs

If and only IF Losman stays healthy (and i seriously doubt he will play 16 games),,,,his stats will look like this.

52% completion

2650 yds

14 td's

19 int's

44 sacks

7 lost fumbles

365 rush yds

2 rush td's

**sorry, i think JP will grow up but he is going to absorb a tough season.

Labatt, if he could reach those goals (barring injury) & not look too Drew-ish (ie. losing games in the last minute & looking stupid) in doing it, I could support him continuing as the starter in 2007. I think all but the sack number are reasonable (unfortunately, I see many more with this OL). Thank God the Meathead is gone.

- 2800 yards passing

- 18 passing TD's

- 500 yards rushing

- 3 rushing td's

- 18 interceptions

- Roll him out at least 4 or 5 times a game.  One of his strengths is his mobility and with this offensive line, keeping him in the pocket on every passing play will be a disaster.  Keep the defense guessing.

- Allow him to run when there are no WR's open and there is room to run.  Once again, take advantage of his mobility in order to keep the chains moving.

- Figure out which throws he excels at and drop the ones he has problems with.  Simplify the playbook and don't ask too much of him all at once. 

- Call at least one or two designed running plays every game.  Naked bootlegs, QB draws, etc...

748640[/snapback]

I agree with zow2's numbers more so.

The only porblem with the called runs and roll out is that these plays will sometimes undoubtedly be turnovers, especially against smart defensive teams like the Pats where they will send a Safety or OLB into the roll out (both sides) and JP will still try to make a play instead of taking a sack or throwing it away.

Lets face it. JP must learn focus on throwing the ball accurately even on a roll out where there is lots of green in front not only for his durablity(health) but b/c that way the defense has to respect his ability to do so consistenly.

If they dont have to respect it, they can play a lot differently...

In this league, there are CB's that are vulnerable to the deep pass and I see J.P. Losman chucking more than a few bombs this year. I think his numbers will steadily get better as the year goes on... something like this!

1st half:

TD's 7

Yards 1,789

INT's 5

Now, last half:

TD's 12

Yards 1,823

INT's 6

Composite: TD's 19, yards 3,612 and 11 INT's...... better than most expect!

Record 8-8

Holy crap! The "Daniel Briere Full Season Statistics Extrapolation" theory has finally been applied!

seriously though, its really impossible to judge last year's statistics for any offensive player. The coaches had that team so screwed up that you almost have to flush everything about last year down the toilet. I'm cautiously optimistic for 2800-3000 yards for losman this year, if he does not pull an RJ and get hurt.