I thought there was a cease fire?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But for some reason there is still violence in the Middle East between Israel and Lebannon.

What could be the reasoning or explanation for this?

744002[/snapback]

The stifilingly ignorant belief that stopping a war half-fought is better than letting both parties fight to a conclusion.

This dumb-ass cease-fire will end up killing more people in the long run than letting Israel and Hizb'allah fight would have.

The stifilingly ignorant belief that stopping a war half-fought is better than letting both parties fight to a conclusion.

This dumb-ass cease-fire will end up killing more people in the long run than letting Israel and Hizb'allah fight would have.

744040[/snapback]

but you figured it was coming right?

unfortunately the UN has outlived its usefulness.

744077[/snapback]

Oh yeah, of course. An international organization devoted to forcing people to get along against their better judgement was bound to stick their nose in and act counter to 5000 years of factual human history demonstrating that, not to be too blunt, genocide works.

Okay, maybe that's a little over the top. :blush: But anyone who's raised cats and small children knows that sometimes you just have to let them resolve their own issues with each other. But nation-states are somehow "different".

I can't say that i didn't see this continued violence coming. And i think that the UN's usefulness was quite obviously out of date about two or three years ago, and even more obvious with their views on how to prevent the crisis in Iran.

Oh yeah, of course.  An international organization devoted to forcing people to get along against their better judgement was bound to stick their nose in and act counter to 5000 years of factual human history demonstrating that, not to be too blunt, genocide works

Okay, maybe that's a little over the top.  :blush:  But anyone who's raised cats and small children knows that sometimes you just have to let them resolve their own issues with each other.  But nation-states are somehow "different".

744185[/snapback]

i don't know if this is a relevant point but wouldn't this kind of mentality have lead to a very different outcome in WWII, given that the US intervened..?

744077[/snapback]

Did they ever really have a usefulness?

The only way I can see the U.N. working how most would like is for every nation to not only give them the monies they have promised(yes U.S. that means you) but manpower, resources & even more money.

It shouldn't have to be the USAs job to police the world. (& cop all the flak for it)

With proper resources(& a cleaning of corruption) the UN could become a legitimate world police rather than an expensive paper tiger.

Did they ever really have a usefulness?

The only way I can see the U.N. working how most would like is for every nation to not only give them the monies they have promised(yes U.S. that means you) but manpower, resources & even more money.

That's a pipedream. More money will simply make the UN more corrupt. There's no way an organization of politicians from different nations will EVER work otherwise (except on Star Trek).

It shouldn't have to be the USAs job to police the world.  (& cop all the flak for it)

With proper resources(& a cleaning of corruption) the UN could become a legitimate world police rather than an expensive paper tiger.

744225[/snapback]

See my first comment. I have yet to be involved with a single government entity that didn't get worse the more money it got its hands on.

But for some reason there is still violence in the Middle East between Israel and Lebannon.

What could be the reasoning or explanation for this?

744002[/snapback]

Actually, the ceasefire is holding quite well. To expect it to be 100% effective immediately is not realistic.

The ceasefire will last exactly as long as it takes for Hezbollah to regroup.

744505[/snapback]

There's your winning answer!

I saw that idiot Kucinich on the Factor last night. His plan for fighting terrorism:

1) Get out of Iraq.

2) Talk to allies.

3) Negotiate with Iran and North Korea.

4) Negotiate with Al Quaeda and Hizbollah, etc.

It was unbelievable. The guy sat there with a straight face and seriously put forth this four-point "plan" on national television. What kind of idiot hillbillies in Ohio elected this clown?

There's your winning answer!

I saw that idiot Kucinich on the Factor last night. His plan for fighting terrorism:

1) Get out of Iraq.

2) Talk to allies.

3) Negotiate with Iran and North Korea.

4) Negotiate with Al Quaeda and Hizbollah, etc.

It was unbelievable. The guy sat there with a straight face and seriously put forth this four-point "plan" on national television. What kind of idiot hillbillies in Ohio elected this clown?

744532[/snapback]

How many people actually believe that this will work?

Negotiate with Iran and North Korea, not to mention negotiate with Al Qeada and Hizbollah. Iran is not interested in negotiation. I actually wrote an entire term paper on how to deal with Iran and the Iranian belief, and their president imparticualar is not interested.

People like this should not be allowed to speak, and it is absolutely ridiculous that we elect people that think that there is always willingness to negotiate.