Moves to Improve Team Now

As we witnessed once again last night, the Bills have one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL. And, given that until the offensive line gets better this team is going absolutely nowhere, we need to find a way to improve it immediately. Some possible suggestions:

- Trade either Nate Clements or T. McGee for a quality lineman. They both have perceived value around the league. The Bills drafted secondary very high and their picks look promising. Even though we appear to have many good young d-backs, there are only so many roster spots available for those positions (do we have to drop a quality d-back and keep some chump non-NFL caliber o-lineman on the roster?). Based on last year, and again last night, i'm convinced that Clements for sure, and probably McGee also, may be good, but certainly not great, and probably overrated. Greer and King continue to make plays, and if there's any gap between them and Clements/McGee, it isn't much.

- Trade W. McGahee for a quality lineman. At least in his mind, and hopefully around the league, he has some perceived value. What has he done that Gates couldn't do? He still doesn't look fast. He's not a good team player. He doesn't break tackles. Even though Willis himself thinks there's a big gap between him and Gates, what has he ever done to show it? In fact, what has he ever done for us except shout off his big mouth?

Also, was it just me, or was it refreshing to watch our 3rd string QB (Klingsbury?) toss a pass last night. He made an outlet pass to a RB in the flat look like it should, something rather simple for a QB on an NFL roster, versus the deer-in-the-headlight escapade that KH and JP turn it into. I would make room for him on the roster. He's young and at least has some potential. KH was only an adequate backup to begin with, and now is older and has a concussion history. There are not enough explosive playmakers on offense, so what needs to happen is this offense needs to produce long methodical scoring drives. JP is not the type of QB to produce long scoring drives as he'll probably pitch about 50% on important drive-sustaining throws. A QB on an NFL roster must be accurate, and he isn't often enough. After youth, High School, College, and a couple of NFL seasons, what makes us think he'll somehow miraculously gain accuracy? He may be the best we have right now, but i'd like to get a good long look at Nall and develop Klingsbury.

I don't recall a single time where a Bills QB had less than 3 seconds to set up and throw.

That constitutes an improvement in my book. As I saw it, most of the sacks were coverage or QB slow to decide. The Peppers sack was the exception. Oh, and the almost sack where JP escaped...don't think he had 3 seconds there.

You make it sound so easy to just trade people - Clements is leaving next year as a free agent - that lessens his trade value - if a team has a quality lineman they are NOT going to trade him.

742476[/snapback]

I never said it would be easy...just offering suggestions. There are very few names on this team that have any trade value, I mentioned the 3 I believe would make sense and why it would make sense.

One preseason game and you post THIS?

Do you even FOLLOW football or is this a new sport for you?

I suggest you wait until Roscoe gets back some you have one other person who will discuss this with you.

742481[/snapback]

Ummm...I've been watching this putrid offensive line for several years now. I'm not basing it on one game. It's built mostly on rejects from other teams like our 2 starters from the Bears (not even good teams). Forget about the 3 secs for sacks, which are open to some discussion, but there was, once again, absolutely no push or running lanes created...the same thing we've seen for the last several years.

I do follow football. I've been a season ticket holder (section 311) for about 10 years now and would like to see the team win, that's why I threw out the ideas.

What's with the personal attacks? If you don't like my suggestions, then you could simply disagree, or better yet, offer a few of your own....unless of course, you don't think there's any problems with this team?

For the record, I do think the team's improved, I just think it needs more improvement.

I never said it would be easy...just offering suggestions.  There are very few names on this team that  have any trade value, I mentioned the 3 I believe would make sense and why it would make sense.

742484[/snapback]

Which teams have any good superfluous linemen they would be willing to part with? I'd say there is a null list.

As we witnessed once again last night, the Bills have one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL.  And, given that  until the offensive line gets better this team is going absolutely nowhere, we need to find a way to improve it immediately.  Some possible suggestions:

- Trade either Nate Clements or T. McGee for a quality lineman.  They both have perceived value around the league.  The Bills drafted secondary very high and their picks look promising.  Even though we appear to have many good young d-backs, there are only so many roster spots available for those positions (do we have to drop a quality d-back and keep some chump non-NFL caliber o-lineman on the roster?).  Based on last year, and again last night, i'm convinced that Clements for sure, and probably McGee also, may be good, but certainly not great, and probably overrated.  Greer and King continue to make plays, and if there's any gap between them and Clements/McGee, it isn't much. 

- Trade W. McGahee for a quality lineman.  At least in his mind, and hopefully around the league, he has some perceived value.  What has he done that Gates couldn't do?  He still doesn't look fast.  He's not a good team player.  He doesn't break tackles.  Even though Willis himself thinks there's a big gap between him and Gates, what has he ever done to show it?  In fact, what has he ever done for us except shout off his big mouth?

Also, was it just me, or was it refreshing to watch our 3rd string QB (Klingsbury?) toss a pass last night.  He made an outlet pass to a RB in the flat look like it should, something rather simple for a QB on an NFL roster, versus the deer-in-the-headlight escapade that  KH and JP turn it into.  I would make room for him on the roster.  He's young and at least has some potential.  KH was only an adequate backup to begin with, and now is older and has a concussion history.  There are not enough explosive playmakers on offense, so what needs to happen is this offense needs to produce long methodical scoring drives.  JP is not the type of QB to produce long scoring drives as he'll probably pitch about 50% on important drive-sustaining throws.  A QB on an NFL roster must be accurate, and he isn't often enough.  After youth, High School, College, and a couple of NFL seasons, what makes us think he'll somehow miraculously gain accuracy?  He may be the best we have right now, but i'd like to get a good long look at Nall and develop Klingsbury.

742469[/snapback]

I propose less madden for you.

Which teams have any good superfluous linemen they would be willing to part with?  I'd say there is a null list.

742488[/snapback]

Yeah...that's the hard part, and I don't know the answer. Maybe it's trying to find a team that's really hurting in the secondary...or some team that really believes McGahee is the second coming of Jim Brown. You're right though, I don't know of any teams that believe they have too many good o-lineman....most teams seem to understand the importance of the o-line (unfortunately our former regime of Tom D. and company just never got it).

You make it sound so easy to just trade people - Clements is leaving next year as a free agent - that lessens his trade value - if a team has a quality lineman they are NOT going to trade him.

742476[/snapback]

Don't interrupt him...he's on a roll!

PTR

Don't interrupt him...he's on a roll!

PTR

742522[/snapback]

Last year, we kept 9 DB's on the roster, and this is apparently the magic number for many teams. So, here's our current db roster. With the exception of Wire, I think all the names on this list are better football players than anyone on our o-line roster (with the exception of Peters). There's no one on the following list that "sneaks" onto the practice squad (you don't "sneak" 4th round picks onto the Practice Squad). So, given that Wire goes, which other 2 DB's do you cut to get down to 9? And which 2 horrific o-linemen take those 2 spots on the roster?

Safety:

Wire

Leonard

Simpson

Baker

Vincent

Bowen

Whitner

CB:

McGee

King

Clements

Greer

Youboty

As for Clements being a free agent next year...isn't that all the more reason to trade him now. We may get lesser value for him...but it's better than what we get next year...which will be nothing.

Ummm...I've been watching this putrid offensive line for several years now.  I'm not basing it on one game.  It's built mostly on rejects from other teams like our 2 starters from the Bears (not even good teams).  Forget about the 3 secs for sacks, which are open to some discussion, but there was, once again, absolutely no push or running lanes created...the same thing we've seen for the last several years.

I do follow football.  I've been a season ticket holder (section 311) for about 10 years now and would like to see the team win, that's why I threw out the ideas.

What's with the personal attacks?  If you don't like my suggestions, then you could simply disagree, or better yet, offer a few of your own....unless of course, you don't think there's any problems with this team?

For the record, I do think the team's improved, I just think it needs more improvement.

742487[/snapback]

I think LABillz point is that it's more than coincidence that you posted this after last night's game.Why didn't you post before the game.I also think you're a bit too reactionary.

There are no magical trades that will help the Bills. The Rams or Ravens aren't going to trade Pace or Ogden to the Bills. And the Bills aren't going to (willingly) face Brady twice a year with King or Youboty starting at corner.

The best way for the team to get better is to have their young guys mature quickly, and have the coaches improve the team's execution.

Tbone brings up a good point here that no one would probably dance with...Clements and Mcgahee. Clements is more than likely going to walk (something that many here seem to ignore) and we are not going to get anything for him.

Mcgahee better get off his arse. Yeah he is a little thinner but let's see something from him!! I would be all for one of these trades for a legit upper-echelon lineman. But there isn't going to be a team that would trade that for either of those two.

Oh well. In the mean time be nice to Tbone. Don't tar 'n feather the boy for thinking a little radically for the cause.

Teams that get radical on the trade front at this time of year are usally the ones taken advantage of in the trade wars.

I think that the Bills have made a decision to try to build the OL by signing FAs as it simply will take too long for OL players to develop on the timeline which the Golden Boys really had to choose because they want to build a better OL as quickly as possible.

I think there attempt this year was to go after FAs who played well last year but were let go by the team which had them because they had s plsyrt they valued more at the position (multi-time Pro Bowler Birk nack after a year on IR in MN in terms of Fowler and Carolina let Reyes go because they had drafted Mathis.

In both cases, these players were FAs and there was no way that their teams were gonna pay them the starter money their play last year probably would get them on the market.

When you add in Peters, the Bills have 3 of their 5 OL players who are likely clear upgrades over Bennie A., the game buy overmatched Teague and MW.

There are some legit questions as to whether these 2 FA additions are the real thing as neither drew a tremendous bidding war on the FA market. In Fowler's case I think he is a good performing C, but questions about a career which has been markd by injuries and the fct he has never started 16 is why the market did not give him a huge contract.

Reyes is actually the more difficult case to understand as the contract the Bills paid him is significantly above the vet minimum, but not very high at all.

In general, I think in the long run it is actually pretty reasonable to hope that the OL starters will actually be sigificantly better this year.

They did allow too many sacks last night, but I think this problem may be better explained by this group not developing a chemistry yet with each other rather than attributing this to a lack of talent which can be fixed by trade. In addition, this is a new O system for the Bills as Fairchild installs a St. L type offense here. The blocking is significantly different that what we had before as the running game aparently is going to use a zone blocking rather than man-to-man model and on pass pro it is going to depend a lot on the QB getting rid of the ball quickly as its primary means of avoiding sacks.

In other words it is a little complex and different an I would not panic at all after one pre-season game.

This needs to work for us as I do not think there are many viable alternatives this year. As far as next year, we should have significant cap room and look for us to shop big time in FA this off-season.

You kind of made me teeter off of my chair when you mentioned trading one of the best kick returners in the entire NFL (and one of the few ways we score or get great field position) but you really lost me when you mentioned trading Willis McGahee in favor of Lionel Gates who is coming off of his rookie season as has not had ONE single rushing attempt in a regular season game.

I think LABillz point is that it's more than coincidence that you posted this after last night's game.Why didn't you post before the game.I also think you're a bit too reactionary.

742571[/snapback]

Thank you. That and the fact that it is absolutely mind-blowing to me that anyone with a knowledge of the game, let alone a ten-year season ticket holder, would throw in the towel on the season, trade Clements, McGee and McGahee while giving Kingsbury more reps, and start rebuilding the team (which is exactly what he is suggesting we do) after watching the very first preseason game of the year with a new coaching staff, new system and new players.

Seriously, folks. I apologize if this is perceived as personal attacks, but to be honest, someone needs to slap your noggin' with a trout for even suggesting this stuff. The plain truth is that every year we have a lousy first preseason game and every year most of you go out of your freakin' way to panick.

Do any of you watch OTHER preseason games...or just the Bills. Anyone watch the Redskins last night? And you think WE have problems?

Seriously. I'm stunned at how many people panick over a situation like this. Stunned.