I'm sick of the prattle, somebody tell me how!

Dibs

Please do not post here if you cannot be bothered to do any research into the possitioning of the players available & taken in the draft.

IMO, having great lines is as useful as having a legitimate superstar at QB. Both scenarios give a team a much better chance of winning the superbowl. Both scenarios are also difficult to achieve.

My point is....apart from the fact we took the third best DT in the draft in the 1st round(who happened to be the best fit for out defensive system)....and the fact we obtained one of the best available FA DTs(who also happened to best fit our defensive system)....people are still whinging about building a team from the lines out.

Let us ignore the fact some of you would have taken Winston Justice with the #8 pick. Also, keep in mind that Reyes & Fowler having 28 & 23 NFL starts respectively will be far more likely to be stable linemen for us than any lottery draft pick(50% 1st round busts)...though potential for stardom is much reduced.

Put your brains where your schit generally is.....show me who we should have drafted & where so that our 'lines' were better addressed & our team was better off in the long run for it.

There's no way I'd take Justice 8th overall, and there was no offensive lineman that I would take w/ the 8th pick.

Now, if there was some kind of trade down, I'd have looked @ getting either Davin Joseph or Nick Mangold w/ a later first.

If no trade was worked out allowing us to move down and acquire additional picks, then there was no offensive lineman I'd take w/ the 8th pick.

Please do not post here if you cannot be bothered to do any research into the possitioning of the players available & taken in the draft.

IMO, having great lines is as useful as having a legitimate superstar at QB.  Both scenarios give a team a much better chance of winning the superbowl.  Both scenarios are also difficult to achieve.

My point is....apart from the fact we took the third best DT in the draft in the 1st round(who happened to be the best fit for out defensive system)....and the fact we obtained one of the best available FA DTs(who also happened to best fit our defensive system)....people are still whinging about building a team from the lines out.

Let us ignore the fact some of you would have taken Winston Justice with the #8 pick.  Also, keep in mind that Reyes & Fowler having 28 & 23 NFL starts respectively will be far more likely to be stable linemen for us than any lottery draft pick(50% 1st round busts)...though potential for stardom is much reduced.

Put your brains where your schit generally is.....show me who we should have drafted & where so that our 'lines' were better addressed & our team was better off in the long run for it.

737948[/snapback]

Well, OK.....how about this draft? Keep in mind that they picked 23rd. For us to go THAT low, we would have undoubtably gained even more picks, and probably been able to still select most of the players we drafted, except for Whitner.

Shoot this down as you choose. I am simply addressing the challenge of your post. ;)

Well, OK.....how about this draft? Keep in mind that they picked 23rd. For us to go THAT low, we would have undoubtably gained even more picks, and probably been able to still select most of the players we drafted, except for Whitner.

Shoot this down as you choose. I am simply addressing the challenge of your post.  ;)

737960[/snapback]

The tough part is the ASSumption that it's as easy as ordering a pizza to trade down. As I recall, there were a number of teams that had difficulty moving down in this draft, as many teams knew they could stay put and get a good player, since many of those teams weren't targeting just one particular player or position.

Personally, I think that considering how tough it was to move out of that spot, we would've gotten bent over trading down low enough to consider getting Mangold or Joseph.

Shoot this down as you choose. I am simply addressing the challenge of your post.  ;)

737960[/snapback]

Sorry, what I was getting at is in order to say we could have a draft like the Bucs, you have to show how...based on where our picks were, which players were available etc....a reasonable trade or two is fair enough assuming you can justify the other side of the trade.

For instance, TB got Trueblood at #59. Assuming no trade by us(which means we don't get McCargo), our 2nd round pick was #42. Either we massively reach for Trueblood & we don't get McCargo, or....what?

It is easy to say we did it wrong.

Show me how we could have done it right.

How high are we supposed to jump when you snap your fingers?  ;)

737973[/snapback]

Um...it wasn't an order, it was a request. I even said the magic word...you know, please. :lol:

The tough part is the ASSumption that it's as easy as ordering a pizza to trade down.  As I recall, there were a number of teams that had difficulty moving down in this draft, as many teams knew they could stay put and get a good player, since many of those teams weren't targeting just one particular player or position. 

Personally, I think that considering how tough it was to move out of that spot, we would've gotten bent over trading down low enough to consider getting Mangold or Joseph.

737967[/snapback]

Please refresh my memory because I am old. ;) Didn't Levy state on Sirius Radio that Denver offered him more than a 2nd to trade down to 14? I know that he said that he got several offers. Remember, Leinart was still on the board.

I am not saying that he HAD to go down to 23. He could have "reached" for Joseph with an earlier pick. Ruben Brown did pretty well for a 15th pick. :lol:

Sorry, what I was getting at is in order to say we could have a draft like the Bucs, you have to show how...based on where our picks were, which players were available etc....a reasonable trade or two is fair enough assuming you can justify the other side of the trade.

For instance, TB got Trueblood at #59.  Assuming no trade by us(which means we don't get McCargo), our 2nd round pick was #42.  Either we massively reach for Trueblood & we don't get McCargo, or....what?

It is easy to say we did it wrong.

Show me how we could have done it right.

737974[/snapback]

Never mind. I am not in the mood to jump through hoops today. In my post I did mention that we would have extra picks.

I read the above 3 times and have no idea what you are looking for.

Hey, it's probably me. ;)

Please refresh my memory because I am old.  ;)  Didn't Levy state on Sirius Radio that Denver offered him more than a 2nd to trade down to 14? I know that he said that he got several offers. Remember, Leinart was still on the board.

I am not saying that he HAD to go doewn to 23. He could have "reached" for Joseph with an earlier pick. Ruben Brown did pretty well for a 15th pick.  :lol:

737986[/snapback]

You're on the right track, William.

Now, give the man what he asked for and map out a draft strategy. You've already proposed accepting an offer to move down to around 14 and take Joseph. What next?

I see Dibs' point. Those of us who have blasted the Bills' draft have done nothing whatsoever to offer up alternatives that are reasonable.

Oh, and in doing so, rememer the 'domino effect' moving down and taking someone else's pick will have on the entire draft. They'll go to an alternative, which is some other team's first choice, which forces them to go to an alternative, which is some other team's first choice, which forces that team to go....

737948[/snapback]

See the Philadelphia Eagles draft. Next question.

See the Philadelphia Eagles draft. Next question.

738000[/snapback]

So you are saying we take Bunkley at #8 and....well we would have picked at #42 in the second round while the Eagles grabbed Winston Justice at #39.

Laces out. ;)

So you are saying we take Bunkley at #8 and....well we would have picked at #42 in the second round while the Eagles grabbed Winston Justice at #39. 

Laces out. ;)

738016[/snapback]

Well, if we would've taken Bunkley w/ the 8th pick, the Iggles wouldn't have taken Justice @ 39, leaving him there for us 3 picks later. Maybe that's what he meant?

Or, maybe he subscribes to the "first round pick is the entire draft" way of thinking?

Well, if we would've taken Bunkley w/ the 8th pick, the Iggles wouldn't have taken Justice @ 39, leaving him there for us 3 picks later.  Maybe that's what he meant? 

738027[/snapback]

Possible, but surely more likely they would still have taken Justice @39 since there were no OL prospects at the #14 spot.

I know it's impossible to predict properly but how can people say we drafted poorly if they cannot come up with a reasonable alternative?

Possible, but surely more likely they would still have taken Justice @39 since there were no OL prospects at the #14 spot.

I know it's impossible to predict properly but how can people say we drafted poorly if they cannot come up with a reasonable alternative?

738036[/snapback]

Good question, Dibs. Good question indeed.

Grab Bunkley, DT at 8 (or better yet move down a few spots and grab him). Use a 4th to move up 5-6 spots in the second and grab Lutui, OG (I'm assuming Marv and Co. didn't like Justice's character issues). Use the first 3rd rounder we had to grab Chris Goncong, DE and use the second 3rd rounder we held onto by not moving back into the first round and grab either Anthony Schlegel, ILB or Rahsad Butler, OT (or Youboty if they really wanted...but I think we're pretty deep at CB particularly if we can re-sign Clements).

Grab Bunkley, DT at 8 (or better yet move down a few spots and grab him).  Use a 4th to move up 5-6 spots in the second and grab Lutui, OG (I'm assuming Marv and Co. didn't like Justice's character issues).  Use the first 3rd rounder we had to grab Chris Goncong, DE and use the second 3rd rounder we held onto by not moving back into the first round and grab either Anthony Schlegel, ILB or Rahsad Butler, OT (or Youboty if they really wanted...but I think we're pretty deep at CB particularly if we can re-sign Clements).

738083[/snapback]

Not an altogether bad scenario.

I love Lutui, and I do think he'll be a much better pro than college lineman, which is saying a lot because he was pretty good @ USC. Gocong would be a nice edge rusher in passing situations. Schlegel is where I'd go another route. Too slow for this kind of offense, which relies in MLBs being able to go sideline to sideline.

Grab Bunkley, DT at 8 (or better yet move down a few spots and grab him).  Use a 4th to move up 5-6 spots in the second and grab Lutui, OG (I'm assuming Marv and Co. didn't like Justice's character issues).  Use the first 3rd rounder we had to grab Chris Goncong, DE and use the second 3rd rounder we held onto by not moving back into the first round and grab either Anthony Schlegel, ILB or Rahsad Butler, OT (or Youboty if they really wanted...but I think we're pretty deep at CB particularly if we can re-sign Clements).

738083[/snapback]

Thanks for that.

Sounds very reasonable. Under that scenario...assuming we could get the trades, I think I would have preferred a safety over an ILB but either way, the lines were better addressed.

It seems to me the main concept is to have taken Bunkley(or N'Gata) over McCargo(& therefore no Whitner). This frees up the #2 & #3 picks we used to get McCargo to get O-Line help in the second &/or 3rd rounds. I guess it probably gets back to how sure of a thing Whitner is & how much more of a sure thing Bunkley/N'Gata are compared to McCargo. Time will tell. :angry: