Offensive Line Discussion

GoodBye

I'm not very comfortable with our OL, especially the depth.  The backups get beat constantly by the defense and let all kinds of pressure in.  The starters are okay, Peters is a mad man...but Fowler hasn't looked that good and Gandy has been beat a few times by Schobel.

735798[/snapback]

Training camp is kind of Catch 22........

If the offense makes plays, we can look at it in two ways....Our offense is good

or our defense sucks...

If the Defense makes plays, then either our Offense is good or our Defense sucks.

The only true way to find out how good we are is to measure them by playing against other teams....Our pre-season games will give a hint of what kinf od team that we are going to be.

I am definitely concerned with our depth, but I am always hopeful. Then again, I learned my lesson last year. I recall being completely confident that the addition of Bennie Anderson meant that our line could not possibly be any worse than the previous year.

735805[/snapback]

In todays NFL, it is very ahrd to build depth along the lines. The teams that

win consistently are teams that are lucky in keeping thier linemen of the

injury list or have had 6th and 7th rounders come through when their

name was called.....That is where coaching is important....

We do have a few projects in Butler and Pennington...The hope is a Mcnally

can turn them into possible starting linemen in the near future....But what

I really want for us is to go into multiple seasons with the line intact....

Without continuity we are not going to build a solid line.

I guess I could have linked that Ezekial article in my post ;-)

The single biggest criticism I'd level at TDonahoe was our lack (or in many cases absence) of depth at far too many positions, which has led us to this point in time where the "new" regime finds itself with little credible talent at the second level of our depth chart.

736285[/snapback]

You got it. Forgive me. Don't take offense. But after about five years of my own personal rantings over the shortcomings of the OL, I'm just burned out on that area in particular. Hence the:Get with the program. Be ahead of the curve. Find a new tune to whistle. Get a new drug.

It's now become de rigueur to harp ad nauseum on the OL, all the while – as you so rightly say – there are other areas that have suffered through similar neglect. I just picked ML out of the hat. You're right. Liam could be a decent backup - at least there was a nice writeup about him recently. Maybe ML isn't the area of greatest need right now, that wasn't exactly my point – but if Fletcher doesn't re-sign it will be in 9 months.

On balance I'm in favor of what Marv's doing. He's doing what he can with the train wreck he was handed. It should be an interesting year. No doubt.

Training camp is kind of Catch 22........

If the offense makes plays, we can look at it in two ways....Our offense is good

or our defense sucks...

If the Defense makes plays, then either our Offense is good or our Defense sucks.

The only true way to find out how good we are is to measure them by playing against other teams....Our pre-season games will give a hint of what kinf od team that we are going to be.

736665[/snapback]

thats a big reason why i was upset that Jauron stopped doing the scrimmages. IMO, those helped give our players a chance to do some hard hitting and also see how their lines actually are, against another team.

like that NE game a few years back and their use of the "Radar" defense. What was it? - two DL's? Hike on the count of one and run 'er up the gut! :D

736138[/snapback]

Haha forget that. Snap it on "the goose". Catch them off guard even more.