Would you draft McGhaee....

Buffan00

Maybe a 2n-3rd rd pick?? Being a Bills fan, I'm Partial, and think he my fly under the radar! He could either go for 1700 and 11 TD's or bust and go 868 and 6 TD's..ya never know where this kids head is...what do ya think?? Draft with heart, or go with a Steven Jackson, Dom. Davis type?

Maybe a 2n-3rd rd pick?? Being a Bills fan, I'm Partial, and think he my fly under the radar! He could either go for 1700 and 11 TD's or bust and go 868 and 6 TD's..ya never know where this kids head is...what do ya think?? Draft with heart, or go with a Steven Jackson, Dom. Davis type?

735197[/snapback]

I tend to think he could be undervalued as well. I'd put him ahead of Davis who looks like he's always going to have some sort of nagging injury this season, and probably on par with Jackson. My philosophy on drafting Bills is to draft a Bill over other players in the same talent level because I know I'll get to see my guy play week in and week out.

Can't comment on when to draft Willis - we do an auction draft (once you do an auction you'll never go back).

I tend to think he could be undervalued as well. I'd put him ahead of Davis who looks like he's always going to have some sort of nagging injury this season, and probably on par with Jackson. My philosophy on drafting Bills is to draft a Bill over other players in the same talent level because I know I'll get to see my guy play week in and week out.

Can't comment on when to draft Willis - we do an auction draft (once you do an auction you'll never go back).

735254[/snapback]

How does an auction draft work?

How does an auction draft work?

735471[/snapback]

Simple. Each team gets a payroll (ours is $200) with which to "buy" a team.

The first owner up throws a player out onto the auction block with an opening bid (i.e. - Willis McGahee - $5) and the player is auctioned off to the highest bidder (just like a regular auction - the bids increase until the point where only 1 person is left bidding). The next owner then throws out another name, and evetually everyone builds their squad with players they have successfully bid on.

Advantages:

-Draft order is not important. The only thing you get to do when it's your turn is throw a name out for auction. You can bid on any player up for bid.

-You have a shot at any player in the league. Want Ladanian? He's yours if you are willing to bid high enough (by contrast, if you draft #5 in a normal draft you will NEVER get LT).

-There's a strategy to drafting - you can actually throw out the names of players you DON'T want when it's your turn and watch other owners burn through their payrolls, allowing you to get players at bargain prices later on (I play with a bunch of Pats fans and I love throwing Tom Brady on the block and watching everyone overpay for him).

-It rewards skill rather than luck of the draw when they set the draft order. If you're crafty you can really end up with a good team. You have to think on your feet - anyone who shows up with a fantasy football magazine draft cheat sheet is going to get pounded (as they should).

I'd recommend this style only to leagues where players are very experienced - my league's been going for about 12 years. Also, there's almost no way to do a draft online like this - you have to be together or on a conference call (8 of us get together, another 2 on the West Coast join by phone).

We love the auction draft - we'll never go back. It makes the draft so much more fun.

The first owner up throws a player out onto the auction block with an opening bid (i.e. - Willis McGahee - $5) and the player is auctioned off to the highest bidder (just like a regular auction - the bids increase until the point where only 1 person is left bidding). The next owner then throws out another name, and evetually everyone builds their squad with players they have successfully bid on.

Advantages:

-Draft order is not important. The only thing you get to do when it's your turn is throw a name out for auction. You can bid on any player up for bid.

-You have a shot at any player in the league. Want Ladanian? He's yours if you are willing to bid high enough (by contrast, if you draft #5 in a normal draft you will NEVER get LT).

-There's a strategy to drafting - you can actually throw out the names of players you DON'T want when it's your turn and watch other owners burn through their payrolls, allowing you to get players at bargain prices later on (I play with a bunch of Pats fans and I love throwing Tom Brady on the block and watching everyone overpay for him).

-It rewards skill rather than luck of the draw when they set the draft order. If you're crafty you can really end up with a good team. You have to think on your feet - anyone who shows up with a fantasy football magazine draft cheat sheet is going to get pounded (as they should).

I'd recommend this style only to leagues where players are very experienced - my league's been going for about 12 years.  Also, there's almost no way to do a draft online like this - you have to be together or on a conference call (8 of us get together, another 2 on the West Coast join by phone).

We love the auction draft - we'll never go back. It makes the draft so much more fun.

735519[/snapback]

Sounds pretty interesting! Ive been doing Fantasy Football for about 7 years..Ill keep my eyes open for that in the future..thnx

Advantages:

I'd recommend this style only to leagues where players are very experienced - my league's been going for about 12 years.  Also, there's almost no way to do a draft online like this - you have to be together or on a conference call (8 of us get together, another 2 on the West Coast join by phone).

735519[/snapback]

What is your roster layout and how long does that take? Sounds like it could go for a long time.

I did a 10 team online auction this year. My roster as follows:

QB Plummer

QB E. Manning

RB Barber

RB Bush

RB McCallister

RB McGahee

RB Droughns

RB Dunn

WR Ward

WR D. Jackson

WR D. Driver

WR K. McCardell

WR D. Bennett

WR J. Jerivicious

TE A. Crumpler

TE Winslow

DEF Cin

PK Elam

Also had Westbrook, but I traded him for Hines Ward...I didnt mean to, I hit the wrong button, but I needed to trade a RB for a top WR.

Took a couple of weeks. Basically a message board. Every team always had 2 guys nominated (so there was 20 guys "alive" at all times". Once nobody bid on a player for 24 hours, the bid was closed and another player was nominated. Worked out well. One guy wound up with both LT and LJ. I am interested to see how that works out for him. But thats what is cool about auction drafts. you CAN blow your whole budget on LT and LJ. No way that happens in a redraft league.

What is your roster layout and how long does that take?  Sounds like it could go for a long time.

736022[/snapback]

It really doesn't take longer than a regular snake draft - in our case we go about 3 hours (but we've never been a group to do speedy drafts to begin with - half the fun of the league is getting together for the draft).

Our rosters are 16 players, and we have 10 teams, so the draft goes for 160 auctions (the concept of a round becomes moot in an auction draft). Towards the end some autions last about 10 seconds as only certain owners still have money, so guys are jus throwing out a name and an opening bid which nobody contests so the player is awarded and the next name goes up on the action block - that moves really quick. The big name players take longer - somebody's always going to put another dollar on LT, but eventually only 1 person is left bidding.

I did a 10 team online auction this year.  My roster as follows:

QB Plummer

QB E. Manning

RB Barber

RB Bush

RB McCallister

RB McGahee

RB Droughns

RB Dunn

WR Ward

WR D. Jackson

WR D. Driver

WR K. McCardell

WR D. Bennett

WR J. Jerivicious

TE A. Crumpler

TE Winslow

DEF Cin

PK Elam

736174[/snapback]

I take it the waiver wire isn't a big thing in your league.

I have 2 teams and have drafted for one so far. It is as follows:

QB-Aaron Brooks (Oakland)

QB-Steve McNair (Baltimore)

HB-Edgerrin James (Arizona)

HB-Willis McGahee (Buffalo)

HB-Chester Taylor (Minnesota)

WR-Terrel Owens (Dallas)

WR-Santana Moss (Washington)

WR-Muhsin Mohammed (Chicago)

WR-Michael Clayton (Tampa Bay)

TE-Jeremy Shockey (New York Giants)

TE-Mercedes Lewis (Jacksonville)

K-Jeff Reed (Pittsburgh)

DST-Panthers

DST-Giants

I know my QB's are ehhhh, but I decided to take a chance on Brooks showing up and actaully playing this year like he has had the potential to. McNair has alot of weapons around him and should be able to play fairly well for Baltimore, if he can stay healthy. Everything else is very good I believe and I have a good shot if I don't get slammed by injuries as well. I definitely believe I have players that can carry me to my second straight championship, in only my second year :D

Not sure I understand your comment, but we start QB,RB,RB,WR,WR,WR,TE,W/T,R/W,PK,DEF.

736880[/snapback]

That's a really big roster (at least in my experience), especially with team defense. You have 18 players on your rostser in a 10 man league...that's 180 players locked up. Other than a few 3rd string WR's there can't be much left.

• 3 weeks later...

735519[/snapback]

Absolutely. It's so much fun. We did our fist auction last year and can't wait for this year's. A word of advice to anyone interested doing an auction draft. Get someone that is a completely disinterested party to be the auctioneer. Frees up everyone to concentrate on their team. And have the auctioneer move things along quickly. Don't give people time to ponder if they're going to bid that extra dollar for their third string WR. Keep it moving. We did a 10 team 16 man roster auction in about 2.5 hours.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.