Bad Beats

I'll tell you what, I love hold 'em. But it's ridiculous how many times I get beat with pocket rockets or big slick.

Last night I played in a tourney where I made it to the final two tables. I was low stack, so I was ready to go all-in on about anything. To my suprise, the dealer dealt me the pocket rockets and my greedy little heart just leapt for joy. I called the first bet until someone on the other side of the table decided to go all-in. With glee, I also went all-in, which prompted a larger-stack player to call. Everyone else dropped out. We all flipped the pocket cards over. The first all-in player had QQ, I had AA and the third had 88.

The other two were devastated....until the flop came. JQK. OK, I thought. Just need a 10 or an A to triple my stack. No bigs. Fourth Street? 8. The river? 8.

I fekking hate bad beats.

<_<

Hey, where were you two when we were playing on wednesdays??? I remember Tater saying he was afraid he might hurt us since his skill was far superior, but what's your excuse JSP???

Those aren't bad beats gentlemen that's being drawn out. I have the worst bad beat story of all time that should make you understand. It was for 396 at a 1-2 no limit game in Niagara Falls before I started dealing.

3 1/2 hours into a 4 hour shift (always play for a specific amount of time), I am up big. I look at my hole cards A-A. At this point I've made my money and am willing to just walk with the blinds. I raise to 15. Another player raises to 45. At this point I'm happy as can be, but still am willing to walk with just his 45. I reraise to 90 and he promptly calls.

Flop reads 4-A-4. <_< I make a full house on the flop and decide I'm going to slow play hoping he has k-k or q-q, I check. He immediately goes all in. At this point I figure if he's got pocket 4's I deserve to lose. I call.

He's got pocket kings and because I checked he didn't think I had an ace let alone 2 of them. I'm smiling, knowing that I played the hand right.

Turn card? King

River? King

That my friends is a bad beat.

T_R

Those aren't bad beats gentlemen that's being drawn out.  I have the worst bad beat story of all time that should make you understand.  It was for 396 at a 1-2 no limit game in Niagara Falls before I started dealing. 

3 1/2 hours into a 4 hour shift (always play for a specific amount of time), I am up big.  I look at my hole cards A-A.  At this point I've made my money and am willing to just walk with the blinds.  I raise to 15.  Another player raises to 45.  At this point I'm happy as can be, but still am willing to walk with just his 45.  I reraise to 90 and he promptly calls. 

Flop reads 4-A-4.  <_<  I make a full house on the flop and decide I'm going to slow play hoping he has k-k or q-q, I check.  He immediately goes all in.  At this point I figure if he's got pocket 4's I deserve to lose.  I call. 

He's got pocket kings and because I checked he didn't think I had an ace let alone 2 of them.  I'm smiling, knowing that I played the hand right. 

Turn card?  King

River?  King

T_R

734322[/snapback]

That's tough, but that's the risk of slow playing without the nuts. I've slow played a flopped straight way to many times and got burnt for it. Truth is if you bet big after the flop, you take the pot. If you were willing to just take the blinds, you should have been willing to take the extra 90 as well.

I opened this thread to see what you were posting, and I'm glad you were talking about cards because outside of an extended prison stay, I couldn't understand why someone would publically say "...it's ridiculous how many times I get beat with pocket rockets or big slick."

Those aren't bad beats gentlemen that's being drawn out.  I have the worst bad beat story of all time that should make you understand.  It was for 396 at a 1-2 no limit game in Niagara Falls before I started dealing. 

3 1/2 hours into a 4 hour shift (always play for a specific amount of time), I am up big.  I look at my hole cards A-A.  At this point I've made my money and am willing to just walk with the blinds.  I raise to 15.  Another player raises to 45.  At this point I'm happy as can be, but still am willing to walk with just his 45.  I reraise to 90 and he promptly calls. 

Flop reads 4-A-4.  <_<  I make a full house on the flop and decide I'm going to slow play hoping he has k-k or q-q, I check.  He immediately goes all in.  At this point I figure if he's got pocket 4's I deserve to lose.  I call. 

He's got pocket kings and because I checked he didn't think I had an ace let alone 2 of them.  I'm smiling, knowing that I played the hand right. 

Turn card?  King

River?  King

T_R

734322[/snapback]

Did you even read my post? Same thing. :w00t:

the guy with a pair of 8s ends up winning the hand. And I didn't even slow-play it!

lol

You guys should get Fez to tell you about how he lost to a guy with like ten chips, lol.....

734329[/snapback]

You guys don't know what a bad beat is. Going all in before the flop? That's a crapshoot, no matter what cards you have. That's NOT a bad beat.

Let me tell you what a bad beat is...

The blinds are 1000/2000, you go all-in with a good hand and win. Thinking you've won the tournament, you say, "Good game," only to realize that you only have 9,990 chips and your opponent still has 10 chips left. No problem, right?

You sit back to watch the victory since the opponent doesn't even have enough to cover the blinds. He wins the first hand, now has 20 chips. Then wins again, 40 chips. Then wins again, 80 chips... Then wins again, 160 chips. Then wins again, 320 chips. Then wins AGAIN, 640 chips! By this point you're getting pissed off -- you have no control because the cards just get dealt automatically since your opponent can't cover the blinds. He wins again, 1,280 chips. And AGAIN, up to 2,560 chips, and just like that he's back in the game and you end up losing a few hands later! You don't have time to be :lol: because you're too busy doing :lol:<_<:lol:

Can't complain too much, because 2nd place is still decent, but to get beat, by no fault of your own, to a guy with 10 chips?! That's ridiculous.

Thanks for reminding me about that AJ; you know I had ALMOST gotten over it. :w00t:

You guys don't know what a bad beat is.  Going all in before the flop?  That's a crapshoot, no matter what cards you have.  That's NOT a bad beat.

The blinds are 1000/2000, you go all-in with a good hand and win.  Thinking you've won the tournament, you say, "Good game," only to realize that you only have 9,990 chips and your opponent still has 10 chips left.  No problem, right?

You sit back to watch the victory since the opponent doesn't even have enough to cover the blinds.  He wins the first hand, now has 20 chips.  Then wins again, 40 chips.  Then wins again, 80 chips...  Then wins again, 160 chips.  Then wins again, 320 chips.  Then wins AGAIN, 640 chips!  By this point you're getting pissed off -- you have no control because the cards just get dealt automatically since your opponent can't cover the blinds.  He wins again, 1,280 chips.  And AGAIN, up to 2,560 chips, and just like that he's back in the game and you end up losing a few hands later!  You don't have time to be  :lol:  because you're too busy doing  :lol:  <_<  :lol:

Can't complain too much, because 2nd place is still decent, but to get beat, by no fault of your own, to a guy with 10 chips?!  That's ridiculous.

Thanks for reminding me about that AJ; you know I had ALMOST gotten over it.  :w00t:

734548[/snapback]

LMMFAO!!!!! :lol::D:lol:

You guys don't know what a bad beat is.  Going all in before the flop?  That's a crapshoot, no matter what cards you have.  That's NOT a bad beat.

The blinds are 1000/2000, you go all-in with a good hand and win.  Thinking you've won the tournament, you say, "Good game," only to realize that you only have 9,990 chips and your opponent still has 10 chips left.  No problem, right?

You sit back to watch the victory since the opponent doesn't even have enough to cover the blinds.  He wins the first hand, now has 20 chips.  Then wins again, 40 chips.  Then wins again, 80 chips...  Then wins again, 160 chips.  Then wins again, 320 chips.  Then wins AGAIN, 640 chips!  By this point you're getting pissed off -- you have no control because the cards just get dealt automatically since your opponent can't cover the blinds.  He wins again, 1,280 chips.  And AGAIN, up to 2,560 chips, and just like that he's back in the game and you end up losing a few hands later!  You don't have time to be  :lol:  because you're too busy doing  :lol:  <_<  :lol:

Can't complain too much, because 2nd place is still decent, but to get beat, by no fault of your own, to a guy with 10 chips?!  That's ridiculous.

Thanks for reminding me about that AJ; you know I had ALMOST gotten over it.  :w00t:

734548[/snapback]

Holy schit!! That's gotta be the poker equivalent to getting kicked in the nuts.

:lol:

Turn card?  King

River?  King

T_R

734322[/snapback]

Actually, what you described is being drawn out as well - even more so because your slow play didn't force him out and allowed him to draw out on you.

To me a bad beat is when you play the way you would have even if you were able to see all the other hands at the table. You have the best hand, play like you have the best hand, are a huge statistical favorite (the other guy only has 1 or 2 outs) and he manages to pull one of those cards. That's a bad beat because its luck - you played exactly the way you should have and you still got beat - ugly.

734548[/snapback]

I don't know anything about this game, but reading this reminded me a lot of our game against Miami last year.

Actually, what you described is being drawn out as well - even more so because your slow play didn't force him out and allowed him to draw out on you.

To me a bad beat is when you play the way you would have even if you were able to see all the other hands at the table. You have the best hand, play like you have the best hand, are a huge statistical favorite (the other guy only has 1 or 2 outs) and he manages to pull one of those cards. That's a bad beat because its luck - you played exactly the way you should have and you still got beat - ugly.

734639[/snapback]

And there you go.

That's what happens whenever I pull pocket rockets or big slick. I'd almost rather have KK or QQ than AA.

Turn card?  King

River?  King

T_R

734322[/snapback]

It blows mostly because he played his hand so terribly....if you call he's way behind and drawing to 2 outs or in this case runner runner....if you fold he was way ahead and had you drawing to 2 outs.....gotta love 1/2 donkeys.

It blows mostly because he played his hand so terribly....if you call he's way behind and drawing to 2 outs or in this case runner runner....if you fold he was way ahead and had you drawing to 2 outs.....gotta love 1/2 donkeys.

735138[/snapback]

Oh the stories I have for everyone.

The WORST bad beat i've ever put on a guy was playing 5/10 Limit.

Very loose player limps in front of me, I raise to isolate him with A8s. One blind calls.

Flop comes 58T. Checked to me, i bet, two callers. Turn is another 8. Checked to me, I bet, BB check -raises, loose limper calls, I 3 bet, BB folds, suddenly loose limper caps me. He's a passive player, so I figure he AT least has an 8, maybe even a boat. Or he's just a dumbass (you'll find this alot with Online. Not seeing a player face to face encourages some of the dumbest crap you'll ever see). River is the last 8. He bets, i raise, he calls.

Tables T T. I either had to catch running aces or 8s to beat him. Of course, he raises his TT preflop... I never see the flop.

Some hands from yesterday:

Hand #1. Shorthanded table. One horrible player limps, SB completes, i check in the BB with Q4s. Flop comes Q4A. I lead out with it, horrible donkey raises, SB folds, I reraise. Donkey calls. Turns a K. I bet, he calls. Rivers a T. I bet, he raises, i call. Donkey shows quite possibly the worst played J5 of all time.

Hand #2. Folded to me in the CO (the seat right before the button, the cutoff), i raise with KK. SB folds, BB calls (a good player). Flop comes Q33. I bet, he instacheckraises. Poker lesson time. I'm rather sure he doesn't have a 3. I have position. And I'm playing a limit game. Rather than pop him here for 3 bets, he's going to lead into me again on the turn when the bet size doubles. Turn is a blank card. He leads into me. He bets, I raise, he calls. River, of course, is a Q. I'm 80% sure I'm beat, but I make the a call here (there's 9 big bets in the pot, so I only need to be right 11% of the time for this call to be right). Hurrah 2 outers.

For those of you who have never dumped a grand or so in one night thanks to an endless string of these damn things, let me tell you, its not fun.

A classic bad beat was the one Aaron Kanter dealt Raymer at last years WSOP. Raymer went all in on KK on the flop and Kanter called with 3 hearts. Kanter caught runner runner heart for a flush. Talk about a suckout!