NFL NETWORK VS TIME WARNER UPDATE

So, in other words, it's a lot more than $5.00 a month extra.  :D

733065[/snapback]

Not if it's part of a package.

My cable company has a similar package lineup with a sports pack, et al.

I just drop the sports pack at the end of the NFL season. Recently, the wife and I have discussed going back to DTV. But in the end, we agreed it wasn't worth it, esp. wehn we can get cable and blazing internet for under $90 a month.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish that verizon would have the TV available in this area (buffalo) it would make switching everything very easy. as it is I'm pulling all my premium channels + cable modem off time warner as soon as I can get the FIOS installed. My cable bill is 170.00 a month and now I can't watch the NFL network.....I dont think so.

The installation teams for DTV are now very inexperienced, and the customer service people are not properly trained. I had to set up three separate appointments when I moved last year because some 18 year old kid who clearly lacked training had no clue what the hell he was doing.

It's always been hit or miss on the installers, because they're all independent contractors (actually, most cable installers, at least in my area, seem to be going that route as well; the Comcast truck says "Independent contractor" on the side). The company they're contracting with in your area is probably hiring bad people -- I'd call DirecTV and/or the company you dealt with and complain. If nobody complains, nothing will change.

On the flip side, I had an EXCELLENT installation experience a couple of years ago when I had HD installed; the guy had to come out on THREE separate occasions to get the work done (because it took two guys about 10 hours total to get done...), but two of the dates they came were Saturday (so I wouldn't have to miss work), and they did an awesome job. To make matters better, because it took so long, they didn't charge me for running the wires in the walls (from the roof to the basement). Nice.

Later in the year I was double billed for 5 consecutive months, despite dozens of attempts to notify them of the problem. Because of this I was sent to collections and repeatedly hassled by collectors. The new automated system they use is a maze of BS, often connecting you several different departments, none of which have a clue. I also experienced signal loss or distortion at even the first hint of rain for most of last year (probably because the install kid).

Not sure about the double billing, but the key phrase to get things solved on the first call is to ask for "Customer Retention." They'll fix all your problems first time, and give you money to cover your time. I never try dealing with the frontline support, because they don't have anywhere near the power that CR has.

For example, last April we had a freaky ice storm and my dish was literally burried in snow and ice. DirecTV sent someone over to fix it for me (free of charge), but unfortunately the guy said that their boss wasn't allowing anyone to go on the roof is there was snow on it because a couple people had already fallen off and been injured (sheet of ice under the snow). If I could clear the snow, he could help, but otherwise I was out of luck.

Called DirecTV and they said I could hire someone to remove the snow from the roof, and gave me $150 to do that. Instead, I waited a day for everything to melt and had service back up anyway - plus the $150. I didn't even have to ask them for the money, they made the initial offer.

So in my experience, their service is just as good as it's always been (and you can't count independent contractors IMHO, because it's hit and miss - if you call DTV about a bad install, they usually credit you for a month of service as well, making up for you waiting around for an installer).

Sounds a bit like a company that's financially struggling. I've no idea how solvent they are...

:lol::doh::D Yeah, companies that are ready to go out of business are launching new sats in the sky for fun.

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/04/27/1249219&tid=129

CW

It's always been hit or miss on the installers, because they're all independent contractors (actually, most cable installers, at least in my area, seem to be going that route as well; the Comcast truck says "Independent contractor" on the side).  The company they're contracting with in your area is probably hiring bad people -- I'd call DirecTV and/or the company you dealt with and complain.  If nobody complains, nothing will change.

On the flip side, I had an EXCELLENT installation experience a couple of years ago when I had HD installed; the guy had to come out on THREE separate occasions to get the work done (because it took two guys about 10 hours total to get done...), but two of the dates they came were Saturday (so I wouldn't have to miss work), and they did an awesome job.  To make matters better, because it took so long, they didn't charge me for running the wires in the walls (from the roof to the basement).  Nice.

Not sure about the double billing, but the key phrase to get things solved on the first call is to ask for "Customer Retention."  They'll fix all your problems first time, and give you money to cover your time.  I never try dealing with the frontline support, because they don't have anywhere near the power that CR has.

For example, last April we had a freaky ice storm and my dish was literally burried in snow and ice.  DirecTV sent someone over to fix it for me (free of charge), but unfortunately the guy said that their boss wasn't allowing anyone to go on the roof is there was snow on it because a couple people had already fallen off and been injured (sheet of ice under the snow).  If I could clear the snow, he could help, but otherwise I was out of luck.

Called DirecTV and they said I could hire someone to remove the snow from the roof, and gave me $150 to do that.  Instead, I waited a day for everything to melt and had service back up anyway - plus the $150.  I didn't even have to ask them for the money, they made the initial offer.

So in my experience, their service is just as good as it's always been (and you can't count independent contractors IMHO, because it's hit and miss - if you call DTV about a bad install, they usually credit you for a month of service as well, making up for you waiting around for an installer).

:lol:  :doh:  :D  Yeah, companies that are ready to go out of business are launching new sats in the sky for fun. 

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/04/27/1249219&tid=129

CW

733206[/snapback]

Everything is hit or miss depending on your situation. You sound a lot like me the first couple of years I was DTV customer. I sold them dozens of people because I was so happy with the service, then I moved and it all went to hell.

Regardless of our opinions of DTV, if they lose exclusive rights to the ticket they will be forced to take drastic measures. That’s what makes them who they're. They know it, and that’s why they've basically put every marketing cent they have into the Ticket. But compared to cable disadvantages exist in the service they provide.

Cable is a more efficient way of transmitting a TV signal.

Cable offers free DVR's, Direct TV does not

Cable offers VOD, Direct TV does not

Cable can easily reach most rental units

Cable offers broadband

Besides the ticket, what allowed DTV to thrive in the beginning was cable raising rates. It was a cable monopoly in most cities’s leaving us zero options if we wanted all the channels. But competition has forced cable to respond, and now the rates for most cable providers and DTV are very similar.

DTV has also taken on a very cable like approach with the ticket, raising the price annually, and charging an outrageous fee for the HD package. The commitment contract they force you to sign is also a complete joke. Both DTV and cable are far from perfect so hopefully the NFL can eventually work out a way for both providers to get the ticket, just like every other professional sport has. All exclusive rights means is the consumer losses.

So if I want to watch the Sabres games I have to subscribe to Center Ice and pay for ALL the games?  The man is always figuring out ways to stick it to me.

732901[/snapback]

No, that's not true....from the sabres website:

Television

The majority of the Sabres 2005-06 regular season schedule will be broadcast on MSG with at least 75 games being carried on the network.

The broadcasts will be available in Buffalo, Rochester and parts of Syracuse on basic cable services. The games will be televised unless a game will fall under NHL blackout restriction rules. MSG Network is currently available on all Time Warner Cable and Adelphia systems.

Dish Network will be broadcasting Sabres games on a channel between 445-451, but the post game show will not be aired because it is Dish Network's policy not to broadcast shows of regional networks.

Sabres games will be shown by DIRECTV with a rotating channel. The Sabres' post game show will not be aired because it is also DIRECTV's policy not to broadcast shows of regional networks. More information to come.

http://www.buffalosabres.com/az_guide.cfm#linkT

No, that's not true....from the sabres website:

Television

The majority of the Sabres 2005-06 regular season schedule will be broadcast on MSG with at least 75 games being carried on the network.

The broadcasts will be available in Buffalo, Rochester and parts of Syracuse on basic cable services. The games will be televised unless a game will fall under NHL blackout restriction rules. MSG Network is currently available on all Time Warner Cable and Adelphia systems.

Dish Network will be broadcasting Sabres games on a channel between 445-451, but the post game show will not be aired because it is Dish Network's policy not to broadcast shows of regional networks.

Sabres games will be shown by DIRECTV with a rotating channel. The Sabres' post game show will not be aired because it is also DIRECTV's policy not to broadcast shows of regional networks. More information to come.

http://www.buffalosabres.com/az_guide.cfm#linkT

733256[/snapback]

Thank you my friend. Very valuable information.

So we can expect to see our 30 day letters very soon.....  <_<

734558[/snapback]

I'm actually kinda surprised that the NFL Network would be forcing this; basically TW gets to air the channels for free. I would've thought that they wouldn't care - if the channel comes back, people are less likely to make an uproar (assuming most people even noticed -- I'm sure they would once they miss a preseason game, but other than that?)

CW

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060803/sp_nm/...mewarner_nfl_dc

"We direct that Time Warner reinstate carriage of the NFL Network on all of its newly acquired systems on the same terms under which it was carried prior to August 1, 2006, until we are able to resolve the NFL's Petition on the merits," the FCC said.

734504[/snapback]

linky doesn't work for me.

linky doesn't work for me.

734565[/snapback]

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/stories...html?from_rss=1

The Federal Communications has ordered the NFL Network be restored to customers of Time Warner Cable on an interim basis in markets formerly serviced by Adelphia Communications Corp.

The National Football League sought governmental intervention after the cable operator pulled the channel one day after taking control of systems formerly franchised by Adelphia, including the Buffalo market.

In a ruling issued Thursday, the FCC said it appears that Time Warner discontinued the NFL Network with essentially no warning to customers, thus not giving them sufficient time to obtain alternative service so that they could continue to watch the NFL Network without interruption.

FCC rules state that subscribers be given 30 days notice of such cancellation of service. Time Warner only began informing customers it would pull the NFL network just days before its takeover of Adelphia systems. The NFL countered by launching a media campaign in several newspapers warning of the pending change.

Time Warner has now added a Web site -- www.nflgetreal.com -- seeking subscriber support. In part, the site says, "In markets that already have the NFL Network, they are asking for a 350 percent increase for adding eight regular season games -- games that were available to our customers last year -- out of 267. This is a poor value proposition - even for fans. The NFL Network is telling fans that they will miss these games but they are wrong -- our customers will not miss ANY of the home team's games."

The FCC said the timing of the dispute is unfortunate for football fans.

"With NFL training camps now underway and the NFL's pre-season schedule commencing on Aug. 11, 2006, now is a time when many football fans have a particular desire to view the NFL Network's programming, which will include numerous pre-season games and extensive coverage of NFL training camps. Therefore, each day that Time Warner customers go without the NFL Network significantly and irreparably harms many of them, particularly those in Buffalo, Cleveland, and Dallas, each of which is home to an NFL team. By contrast, we do not believe that the interim relief sought by the NFL will cause any significant harm to the public," the FCC said.

Time Warner has until Aug. 15 to respond to the NFL complaint. The NFL may then file a reply to Time Warner's response on or before Aug. 20, 2006.

Time Warner Cable made a ONE BILLION DOLLAR PROFIT LAST QUARTER. They are fighting with the NFL over paying $100 million extra for the channel to be on basic cable. If that happened, TW would have to raise rates. God forbid that $4 billion per year profit gets cut to $3.9 Billion. Bunch of greedy MFer's.

Time Warner Cable made a ONE BILLION DOLLAR PROFIT LAST QUARTER. They are fighting with the NFL over paying $100 million extra for the channel to be on basic cable. If that happened, TW would have to raise rates. God forbid that $4 billion per year profit gets cut to $3.9 Billion. Bunch of greedy MFer's.

734691[/snapback]

How do you go from $1B to $4B? 0:)<_<

If they made $1B profit last year, you're asking for them to give up 10% of that to the NFL?

Are you going to give SDS 10% of your profits to support the board?

CW

How do you go from $1B to $4B?  0:)  <_<

If they made $1B profit last year, you're asking for them to give up 10% of that to the NFL?

CW

734723[/snapback]

That's last quarter, not last YEAR.

I assume every quarter's profit is not the same, but if it is, they'd be making $16 billion in profits/year. 100 million represents 0.1 billion.

What's the difference between $16 and $15.9 billion in profits? Less cushy office chairs for the Board of Executives?

EDITED: Wikipedia has TimeWarner as a whole, and their 2005 profit was listed as: $43.70 BILLION DOLLARS.

That's last quarter, not last YEAR.

I assume every quarter's profit is not the same, but if it is, they'd be making $16 billion in profits/year. 100 million represents 0.1 billion.

What's the difference between $16 and $15.9 billion in profits? Less cushy office chairs for the Board of Executives?

EDITED: Wikipedia has TimeWarner as a whole, and their 2005 profit was listed as: $43.70 BILLION DOLLARS.

734724[/snapback]

I find that figure ($43B) impossible to believe -- since the oil companies posted record earnings.of $10.7B...

http://money.cnn.com/2006/07/25/news/compa...nings/index.htm

Now $16B, maybe I could buy that. Don't always believe everything on Wikipedia <_<

CW

I find that figure ($43B) impossible to believe -- since the oil companies posted record earnings.of $10.7B...

http://money.cnn.com/2006/07/25/news/compa...nings/index.htm

Now $16B, maybe I could buy that.  Don't always believe everything on Wikipedia <_<

CW

734729[/snapback]

My fault. But still. $16 billion in profits and they're greedy for 100 million?

I found it on Forbes' site: $43.62 billion was actually their revenue for 2005, not profit.

How do you go from $1B to $4B?  :w00t:  <_<

CW

734723[/snapback]

Holy Crap! Fez on the side of the evil cable moguls.

Head for the hills the apocolypse is near. 0:)