Could the economy of WNY be improving?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All this hoopla about the Bills selling out their first four games is sorta misleading. 

Hundreds, perhaps thousands, of seats are being held back for prospective season ticket buyers...and after the first pre-season game, those tickets will become available.

Got a link on that? Not that I don't trust you; I don't trust anyone.

Got a link on that?  Not that I don't trust you; I don't trust anyone.

724748[/snapback]

That's just common ticket practice. Just call the Bills now on the 800 number. If you want to order season tickets, they have plenty of seats held back for that purpose.

Every professional sports team does that. Well, the one's that their stadiums aren't all full of season ticket holders. Some of the tickets that are being held for season tickets will be sold to current season ticket holder who request more tickets between now and the opener. So, all of them won't be released to the public, but alot of them will. Usually after the first pre-season game or so.

It's not a huge block, but if you play your cards right, they can be had from the ticket office around early to mid August.

are rising. 

This is GREAT news, especially in terms of keeping the franchise in WNY!  :)

It did get me to wonder....the team is rebuilding, and although anything is possible, playoff hopes appear to be slim, at least for now.

Why do you guys think that sales are up? Is the economy up there getting just a tad better? I sure hope so.  :flirt:

724621[/snapback]

I really do not think the economy of WNY is improving. I think this is more of a case that people in WNY budget for the tickets. There is a tie there that is uncommon is most other cities - people will make sacrifices to be able to go to a game. Says a lot about the fan base.

I think a true berometer of the area would be to raise the ticket prices to match those in other more vibrant economies and see the impact to ticket sales.

I think Bills ttickets in WNY are like gas to the rest of the world - you might B word about prices, but you will buy it no matter what the cost...

I think Bills ttickets in WNY are like gas to the rest of the world - you might B word about prices, but you will buy it no matter what the cost...

NO Bills fan can rightfully B word about ticket prices, considering they're the lowest in the NFL and Ralph has NO obligation to run a charity. That's why I think Bills fans who complain about Ralph "whining" about the money he'll potentially lose are, sorry to say it, morons.

It is nearly impossible to find Pats tickets without paying big bucks, so I'm sure there are plenty of people in MA who figure a quick drive up I-90 to Buffalo is the best chance to see their team.

724659[/snapback]

You'd think, but you'd be surprised at how unintersted so-called Pats fans are in a road trip. I try to get my buddies to come up with me but they are a bunch of pu$$ie$.

PTR

I pay $540/year for 2 in the Rockpile section.  Granted, it gets more expensive as you move for a "better" seat, but with a value like that, its hard for me to believe that someone who wants season tickets can't afford them. 

Hell, I was going to try to get some Bengals season tickets this year just to turn around and scalp, and the cheapest seats in the stadium (way upper deck corners) are $580/ea. + $450 seat license.  Screw that...I guess I'll just end up buying my own section in the Rockpile eventually.

724720[/snapback]

Well I am just in college so i am not one of the people I am about to talk about, but I do have friends who's parents cant afford to spend $50, none-the-less $500 on a football game. They would rather keep their house warm in the winter than go to a football game 80 miles away, which costs gas, plus the price of the seats, plus food unless you want to eat nothing for 6+ hours. I'm just saying that the statement you made that anyone who really wants tickets can get them is not true ---- because I do know people who would die to go to a fooball game with their child just ONCE and cant afford it.

Well I am just in college so i am not one of the people I am about to talk about, but I do have friends who's parents cant afford to spend $50, none-the-less $500 on a football game. They would rather keep their house warm in the winter than go to a football game 80 miles away, which costs gas, plus the price of the seats, plus food unless you want to eat nothing for 6+ hours. I'm just saying that the statement you made that anyone who really wants tickets can get them is not true ---- because I do know people who would die to go to a fooball game with their child just ONCE and cant afford it.

724773[/snapback]

I still disagree with you - the people that you're talking about obviously wouldn't have their priorities in order if they purchased season tickets before taking care of their families. Those people could easily take their child to a game JUST ONCE if they save some money, make the drive JUST ONCE, and watch the rest on TV. Preseason games are ideal...hell, I'm giving my tickets for the Bills v. Browns game away for FREE.

I'm not independently wealthy (hence, the Rockpile seats) and I still manage to drive ~900 miles round trip to see my team. Theres no way in hell that I'm going to make it to 8 home games (plus 2 preseason games), so I sell the remainders to help offset my expenses. Last year, I broke even...and that was selling tickets at face value.

I'm just saying that its absolutely ridiculous to have a franchise like the Bills in their own back yards, and so many people will balk at the cost, etc...those will be the first people to be up in arms when Ralph takes the franchise elsewhere.

Why do you guys think that sales are up? Is the economy up there getting just a tad better? I sure hope so.

A short answer to that is "NO". A few bandaids could have been applied, but you still have the same "goons" in Albany keeping the status quo.

Perhaps the folks that purchased tix are banking on that property tax refund due to be distributed just before this year's election. A $200 rebate could almost make one game affordable for a family of four.

All this hoopla about the Bills selling out their first four games is sorta misleading. 

Hundreds, perhaps thousands, of seats are being held back for prospective season ticket buyers...and after the first pre-season game, those tickets will become available.

The weird part is, with the Bills reporting that there are no tickets for the first four games, how do they market the remaining tickets when they become available? 

Instead of crowing that the first four games are sold out, the Bills should announce that currently limited single-game tickets are available, however, in mid-August more tickets may become available.

I'm surprised Leo Roth, a veteran beat writer, fell for this...it's something the Bills have been doing since the Super Bowl runs.

724671[/snapback]

EVERY stadium does this, and they only hold certain sections.

EVERY stadium does this, and they only hold certain sections.

724794[/snapback]

Almost. Only stadiums that aren't already completely sold out to season ticket holders. And there are actually alot of those......

Green Bay

New England

Pittsburgh

Jets

Giants

Just to name a few.

It is nearly impossible to find Pats tickets without paying big bucks, so I'm sure there are plenty of people in MA who figure a quick drive up I-90 to Buffalo is the best chance to see their team.

724659[/snapback]

Ya know, this statement is really not that true. I've been looking for tickets here in Boston the past couple days for the home opener - and I've come across a number of tickets, not all that expensive.

I even had one guy drop the price because I said I wasn't interested in the seat locations.

You can find boat loads on the internet - craigslist, tickethub, etc.

By the time one drives/fly's to Buffalo, pays for gas, tickets, food, hotel etc. - you're better off going to Foxboro to see the game.

True fans are the ones who go to away games... not the ones trying to save a buck.

I really do not think the economy of WNY is improving.  I think this is more of a case that people in WNY budget for the tickets.  There is a tie there that is uncommon is most other cities - people will make sacrifices to be able to go to a game.  Says a lot about the fan base. 

I think a true berometer of the area would be to raise the ticket prices to match those in other more vibrant economies and see the impact to ticket sales.

724753[/snapback]

So, should we raise the prices of homes, rent in WNY to match other regions, too?

Would that make you feel better about WNY's economy?

Just curious...

Almost.  Only stadiums that aren't already completely sold out to season ticket holders.  And there are actually alot of those......

Green Bay

New England

Pittsburgh

Jets

Giants

Just to name a few.

724797[/snapback]

Didn't realize New England was in that group. Washington also has a pretty sick waiting list I hear. I think Philly too.

Didn't realize New England was in that group.  Washington also has a pretty sick waiting list I hear.  I think Philly too.

724813[/snapback]

Cincinnati is getting there...less than 5,000 seats not accounted for by season ticket holders

You're talking about metro areas 5X the size of Buffalo. I live in Boston and the Pats are not Boston's team they are ALL of NE's team. They are actually closer to Providence than Boston. Boston/Providence (a city the size of Buffalo)/Hartford/Worcester/Springfield/N.H. and Maine. The Pats better have a huge waiting list for a 65K stadium with that drawing power. They also have the pricing power with all the financial and corporate backers around here; something WNY does not have.

The Bills are the best value in all of sports. It's a cheap ticket for NFL football. I live in Boston and am a season ticket holder for the Bills. And commuting and buying luxury seats in Buffalo is still cheaper than trying to buy Pats tickets.

Almost.  Only stadiums that aren't already completely sold out to season ticket holders.  And there are actually alot of those......

Green Bay

New England

Pittsburgh

Jets

Giants

Just to name a few.

724797[/snapback]

Believe it or not (and somebody feel free to call me on this because I'm not positive) I think the Arizona Cardinals are sold out via 100% capacity season ticket sales. Leinart + Edge + Sweet new stadium = $$$

Believe it or not (and somebody feel free to call me on this because I'm not positive) I think the Arizona Cardinals are sold out via 100% capacity season ticket sales.  Leinart + Edge + Sweet new stadium = $$$

724879[/snapback]

Leinart and Edge? It will be interesting to see whether or not this produces wins. My guess is that it will not.

I think that drafting a weak armed qb, and doling out huge bucks for a rb with a ton of miles is a perfect example of stupidity. It was probably worse (and this is saying a TON) than giving away an early draft pick, and selecting 400 defensive backs.

Either way, 2 examples of idiocy. :P

Leinart and Edge? It will be interesting to see whether or not this produces wins. My guess is that it will not.

I think that drafting a weak armed qb, and doling out huge bucks for a rb with a ton of miles is a perfect example of stupidity. It was probably worse (and this is saying a TON) than giving away an early draft pick, and selecting 400 defensive backs.

Either way, 2 examples of idiocy.  :P

724888[/snapback]

If Leinart is the weak-armed QB that you suggest he is, I would assume Arizona is the best place for him. Dry, warm air, a semi-enclosed stadium, two receivers in Boldin and Fitzgerald who can make a QB look good, and a horse RB who has proven he can get the job done.

It may not work out long-term, but like I said, those moves equal $$$. The Cards hope that in the future the moves equal wins, but in the meantime, they'll settle for $$$. Besides, Denny Green may choose to play Kurt Warner over Leinart. He sat Culpepper for a full season when Daunte was a rookie in Minnesota.