Car Won't Shift Out Of PARK

TSNBDSC

... wife has a Ford Explorer ... all of a sudden the vehicle won't shift out of PARK ... no leaks anywhere ... no trannie type problems beforehand ... can move the steering wheel from side to side ... feels like it's "locked" in PARK ... google came up with a "shift interlock solenoid" solution ... thanks ! ... tom

I seem to recall something like that happening to my wife's car years ago. The owner's manual mentioned that there was something by the gear shift that I could move with a screwdriver to "re-activate" it. I don't remember the details though... I think I had to remove some cap, then use the screwdriver to turn a dial in there and then things started to work. I asked my wife, and she doesn't remember any more info than I already posted...

Might not be very helpful, but hopefully it gives you something to look at.

CW

I seem to recall something like that happening to my wife's car years ago.  The owner's manual mentioned that there was something by the gear shift that I could move with a screwdriver to "re-activate" it.  I don't remember the details though...  I think I had to remove some cap, then use the screwdriver to turn a dial in there and then things started to work.  I asked my wife, and she doesn't remember any more info than I already posted...

Might not be very helpful, but hopefully it gives you something to look at.

CW

723709[/snapback]

... thanks ! ... while the sun is still out I'll go and take a peek ! ... tommy

reminds me of a great story...

in high school, my father had a jaguar xjr. i was like 16, and he inexplicably gave me permission to drive it to my church youth group function. I drive the car safely to the event but then i want to show it off to my friends. I park the car, get out and get them. Then we go back outside and i can't get the car to start at all. I try for like 30 minutes, get one of the grownups to try to figure it out. nothing... so, i have this expensive car that my father let me drive and its "broken". I finally get very angry and slam the steering wheel (the wood trimmed one... very nice quality). I hear a click... then i try the ignition for the 100th time and it works. Turns out, the steering wheel lock wasn't fully engaged, hense the ignition would not work. simple fix, and my father doesn't know about it (and doesn't read TBD either, so i'm safe!)

... wife has a Ford Explorer ... all of a sudden the vehicle won't shift out of PARK ... no leaks anywhere ... no trannie type problems beforehand ... can move the steering wheel from side to side ... feels like it's "locked" in PARK ... google came up with a "shift interlock solenoid" solution ... thanks ! ... tom

723707[/snapback]

Does the car start? I had a similar problem within the last year, with my Accord...but my car would start up for a split second, and then die...so I knew it wasn't the battery.

I couldn't shift the car into neutural, for a cheap tow, they had to lift it...I was able to turn the wheel, and shift the tires, but the fuggin' thing would not stay started, or let me shift.

It ended up being that the gear-shift switch was busted...$75 for the tow, $230 to get the car fixed...

723707[/snapback]

That's exactly what it is, relatively common. Ford TSB's:

TSB #15030 -- SOME VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT A TRANSMISSION SHIFTER STUCK IN THE PARK GEAR POSITION.

TSB #01181 -- BRAKE SHIFT INTERLOCK

That happened to my old car. If I banged on the shifter hard enough it would let me shift, until the next time it got stuck at least. Became more and more common but I got rid of the car before I ever had it fixed.

There's a vacuum switch that closes and activates your brake lights when you depress the brake pedal. If this switch is shot, the shift-lock solenoid won't energize allowing you to change gears. Easy way to tell if the vacuum switch is spent, is that your rear brake lights won't work. As a precaution most newer cars will lock the tranny in shift, until you use a key or screwdriver to depress a shift lock switch. If this is the case, it's an easy change out for the vacuum switch. Problem is sometimes the only place to get the part is a dealer.

Even if the brake lights are fine and the vacuum switch is OK, it still may just be the solenoid.

723707[/snapback]

My GMC ENVOY had the same problem about a year ago...Turns out it was a bare wire in the steering column that blew a fuse in the panel under the hood. Check the manual and see if that helps.

Steve

There's a vacuum switch that closes and activates your brake lights when you depress the brake pedal. If this switch is shot, the shift-lock solenoid won't energize allowing you to change gears. Easy way to tell if the vacuum switch is spent, is that your rear brake lights won't work. As a precaution most newer cars will lock the tranny in shift, until you use a key or screwdriver to depress a shift lock switch. If this is the case, it's an easy change out for the vacuum switch. Problem is sometimes the only place to get the part is a dealer.

Even if the brake lights are fine and the vacuum switch is OK, it still may just be the solenoid.

723921[/snapback]

This has happened to my wife's 99 Jetta twice.

Inconceivable!  Are you sure it wasn't an American-made car with a Jetta logo plastered on it?

:P

725246[/snapback]

Stop crying like a little girl. :P

VW sucks almost as bad. We're talking Japanese here. Haven't heard anyone complaining of a Honda... :P

Stop crying like a little girl.  ;)

VW sucks almost as bad. We're talking Japanese here. Haven't heard anyone complaining of a Honda... :)

725270[/snapback]

Happened to my Accord....I'm also on my second transmission and chances are I'm going to have to replace the master cylinder in the near future.

Ed, I work with Japanese manufacturers...chances are your Fit was built in the U.S. Check your VIN number, part of it will indicate the manufacturing location. That means your car was probably assembled somewhere in the SE by people no more qualified than those building cars up in Detroit. They probably just don't get paid as much.

Happened to my Accord....I'm also on my second transmission and chances are I'm going to have to replace the master cylinder in the near future.

Ed, I work with Japanese manufacturers...chances are your Fit was built in the U.S. Check your VIN number, part of it will indicate the manufacturing location. That means your car was probably assembled somewhere in the SE by people no more qualified than those building cars up in Detroit. They probably just don't get paid as much.

725315[/snapback]

Actually, with the way Honda works, it's most likely manufactured in Japan. They won't bother setting up assembly lines for new products in the US until demand warrants it. I believe they've been selling the CR-V in the US since '97 and only started making them in the US last year...

Actually, with the way Honda works, it's most likely manufactured in Japan.  They won't bother setting up assembly lines for new products in the US until demand warrants it.  I believe they've been selling the CR-V in the US since '97 and only started making them in the US last year...

725320[/snapback]

Looks like the build the Accord/Element in Ohio and Oddesey/Pilot in Alabama (according to what I can find on their site). I've dealt with Japanese manufacturers in the past and my girlfriend currently works for one. Once you get a glimpse behind the curtain, it loses some of its mystique. Where they do beat the American manufacturers in my experience is rework once the vehicles are off the line.

Looks like the build the Accord/Element in Ohio and Oddesey/Pilot in Alabama (according to what I can find on their site). I've dealt with Japanese manufacturers in the past and my girlfriend currently works for one. Once you get a glimpse behind the curtain, it loses some of its mystique. Where they do beat the American manufacturers in my experience is rework once the vehicles are off the line.

725333[/snapback]

Wow, they have a plant in Ohio? I thought the Japanese manufacturers were only building plants in "right to work" states?