Softball thread

The dog days of summer are upon us...Who's playing ball? My squad (the Rat Bastards) is 9-7 and making our playoff push. We are in 4th place out of 10 teams, 8 make the playoffs. Big game tonight against the 1st place team, and it is a steamer in the Buffalo-area. Better bring some extra beers! Seriously, after playing hardball my whole life, I just started playing softball two years ago, and it is great. I love our team because everyone plays to win, but if we don't win, nobody gets torn up about it. You could show up 10 minutes after a game finishes and you wouldn't be able to tell whether we won or lost. Everybody's just drinking and joking and shooting the schit.

Tell me about your squads, your stats, your beer drinking exploits, the guy on your team whose girlfriend comes to every game and has huge breasts, etc.

SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL KICKS ASS!!!

The dog days of summer are upon us...Who's playing ball?  My squad (the Rat Bastards) is 9-7 and making our playoff push.  We are in 4th place out of 10 teams, 8 make the playoffs.  Big game tonight against the 1st place team, and it is a steamer in the Buffalo-area.  Better bring some extra beers!  Seriously, after playing hardball my whole life, I just started playing softball two years ago, and it is great.  I love our team because everyone plays to win, but if we don't win, nobody gets torn up about it.  You could show up 10 minutes after a game finishes and you wouldn't be able to tell whether we won or lost.  Everybody's just drinking and joking and shooting the schit.

Tell me about your squads, your stats, your beer drinking exploits, the guy on your team whose girlfriend comes to every game and has huge breasts, etc. 

SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL KICKS ASS!!!

722661[/snapback]

The Mastodons (large, slow-moving, extinct - much like the players) are 6-1 tied for first, and we were supposed to play the teams in 2nd and 3rd in a double-header last night - rain killed that schedule tho. Last year we won our league championship but lost in the the overall championship game.

:o

My stats are fair this year. I'm a singles hitter, batting about .500 I guess. I've had 2 put-outs at the plate. Sadly we haven't had many spectators this year. We always head over to The Coach in Webster after games.

Last year we won our league championship but lost in the the overall championship game. 

722668[/snapback]

I hear yah Jay. Last year only 4 teams made the playoffs in our league, and all playoff series were 2 outta 3. We finished 2nd after the regular season, but lost to the #3 team in the playoffs, swept 2-0. In the other bracket, #4 beat #1, and #4 ended up beating #3 for the title. Just have to get the bats hot at the right time!

Erie County Volunteer Firemans Softball League.....modified fast pitch....17 local VFD's battling for the trophy....Our FD is the Town of Brant aka Gods Country...good time and a good league....

we even have a web site that this dork set up last year....

ECVFSA

big game vs the boys from Woodlawn on Sunday....

Erie County Volunteer Firemans Softball League.....modified fast pitch....17 local VFD's battling for the trophy....Our FD is the Town of Brant aka Gods Country...good time and a good league....

ECVFSA

722672[/snapback]

Used to belong to Bowmansville VFD long time ago. Had some good times playing league and tourney ball. Arch-rival was Harris Hill VFD.

ECVFSA

722672[/snapback]

That's hilarious there's a league website. Might have to look into that.

Speaking of which:

Tuesday May 30th    Brant  5  Union 4

A real pitcher's duel, huh tater?

That's hilarious there's a league website.  Might have to look into that.

Speaking of which:

A real pitcher's duel, huh tater?

722677[/snapback]

a bunch of us where at the Sabres game...you can read all about it in the news/notes section... :doh:

ECVFSA

722672[/snapback]

Nice Job Dork

some team rules....strikeout in a game...30 pack to the next game....any West Seneca games=mandatory Duffs visit......

722678[/snapback]

We have a few rules also...I think the strikeout rule is universal...Also- Whoever makes the last out of the game has to bring a case of beer to the next game, and they have to wear a jersey that says "Beer B word" on the back with $$ as the number. It's a good rule because even if you are up or down by 10 runs, nobody wants to make the 3rd out in the beer frame.

Anybody making two outs in one inning is also a case at the next game.

We have a few rules also...I think the strikeout rule is universal...Also- Whoever makes the last out of the game has to bring a case of beer to the next game, and they have to wear a jersey that says "Beer B word" on the back with $$ as the number.  Anybody making two outs in one inning is also a case at the next game.

722705[/snapback]

those are some good ideas....what makes our league cool is that it is town vs town...you should see the turnouts for the playoff games....crazy...

It's hot and muggy in the summer in NC so I play in a league that starts in late August and runs through October.  It's co-ed so the level of play generally sucks, but the good scenery makes up for it.

722686[/snapback]

similar leagues in florida. our spring league runs from march - june, and the fall league runs from september - november. Our team from the spring lost in the final game of the season and blew our shot at the championship. Since you want stats, i was 23-34 in the 10 game season.

Now we have the summer funleague running. No umps, no walks, just co-ed for fun. Last game tho, our pitcher racked up 6K's (K'ed the same guy 3 times) Thats unheard of in slo-pitch. Actually i hafta leave soon, we have a game tonite.

I hear yah Jay.  Last year only 4 teams made the playoffs in our league, and all playoff series were 2 outta 3.  We finished 2nd after the regular season, but lost to the #3 team in the playoffs, swept 2-0.  In the other bracket, #4 beat #1, and #4 ended up beating #3 for the title.  Just have to get the bats hot at the right time!

722670[/snapback]

We had 6 outta 10 make the playoffs, it was double elimination. We lost our first game but then ran the elimination bracket to the final game only to lose 7-0. Just couldn't hit their pitcher.

Our only loss this year was to that team, which has been mediocre otherwise and is 4-3.

I play on my co-ed company team and we suck. It took me 3 years to turn around my last company team. Looks like in in for 3 more fun filled years here.

722823[/snapback]

You sound like the Bills- constant rebuilding mode!

I play on my co-ed company team and we suck. It took me 3 years to turn around my last company team. Looks like in in for 3 more fun filled years here.

722823[/snapback]

I hear you. I played on my company co-ed team last year and we sucked badly. Our "practices" always consisted of batting practice and nothing else. I kept trying to get the coach to do some fielding and fundamentals instead. After all, hitting wasn't our main problem, it was giving the other team 8 damn outs an inning. I don't care if it's co-ed, I hate losing.

I hear you.  I played on my company co-ed team last year and we sucked badly.  Our "practices" always consisted of batting practice and nothing else.  I kept trying to get the coach to do some fielding and fundamentals instead.  After all, hitting wasn't our main problem, it was giving the other team 8 damn outs an inning.  I don't care if it's co-ed, I hate losing.

722974[/snapback]

haha i know the feeling. our co-ed teams are never very good, now that 2 good girls moved out fo town. The worst is, as you say, not just losing, but being frustrated dealing with 6 errors every inning. We got our asses kicked yesterday for that reason. But i did score from 3rd holding a beer.