More Proof of Global Warming

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060712/sc_nm/...DJlYmhvBHNlYwM-

"Archer said the team was studying the fossils to better understand how they were affected by changing climates in the Miocene epoch between 5 million and 24 million years ago."

those damn humans sure did screw up the earth 5 million years ago. killing off those cute "demon ducks of doom".

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060712/sc_nm/...DJlYmhvBHNlYwM-

"Archer said the team was studying the fossils to better understand how they were affected by changing climates in the Miocene epoch between 5 million and 24 million years ago."

those damn humans sure did screw up the earth 5 million years ago. killing off those cute "demon ducks of doom".

722095[/snapback]

those demon ducks of doom are half demon, half, duck, and half doom. or maybe half demon duck, half doom.

i'm totally serial

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing that all these movies and specials don't cover the biggest thing we're doing to speed up global warming........overuse of solar power......get those stupid satellites out of orbit, and the power plants out of the desert......solar power is not the answer

Amazing that all these movies and specials don't cover the biggest thing we're doing to speed up global warming........overuse of solar power......get those stupid satellites out of orbit, and the power plants out of the desert......solar power is not the answer

728115[/snapback]

??? explain, please.

??? explain, please.

728164[/snapback]

Well, look at how we are putting so many solar power plants in the desert. Formation of desert's is the planet's natural reaction to heating up- unlike tropical areas, deserts do not absorb the heat and energy from the sun- they reflect it. Putting solar power plants in the desert absorbs much of the heat and energy that would otherwise have been reflected in an effort to cool things down.

Also, the satellites reflecting solar energy towards us that would have bypassed the earth, is the equivalent of moving us closer to the sun.

Now, I can accept that the carbon is causing problems as well, and that we need to cut down on that too, but once again, I see these documentaries and movies as more of a political agenda than an effort to do the right thing.

Well, look at how we are putting so many solar power plants in the desert. Formation of desert's is the planet's natural reaction to heating up- unlike tropical areas, deserts do not absorb the heat and energy from the sun- they reflect it. Putting solar power plants in the desert absorbs much of the heat and energy that would otherwise have been reflected in an effort to cool things down.

Also, the satellites reflecting solar energy towards us that would have bypassed the earth, is the equivalent of moving us closer to the sun.

Now, I can accept that the carbon is causing problems as well, and that we need to cut down on that too, but once again, I see these documentaries and movies as more of a political agenda than an effort to do the right thing.

728557[/snapback]

Ball bearings made more sense...

728557[/snapback]

Groovy! Those little sugar cubes...the'yre not just sugar!!

are you serious- to me, its just that we're causing more solar absorption that what is supposed to happen normally.

728641[/snapback]

Uh-huh. Three questions:

1) What's the ratio of absorption to incident radiation on a solar panel?

2) What percentage of absorbed radiation is not converted to electricity (i.e. converted to thermal energy?)

3) What's the ratio of absorption to incident radiation of a desert?

4) What percentage of desert is covered by solar panels?

5) What is the total difference in solar radiation absorbed and converted to thermal energy between having solar panels and NOT having solar panels in the desert?

Those questions make the difference between a proposed theory and a really, really half-baked idea.

Uh-huh.  Three questions:

2) What percentage of absorbed radiation is not converted to electricity (i.e. converted to thermal energy?)

5) What is the total difference in solar radiation absorbed and converted to thermal energy between having solar panels and NOT having solar panels in the desert?

Those questions make the difference between a proposed theory and a really, really half-baked idea.

728651[/snapback]

Five questions sir! (ala Sir Launcelot to King Arthur)

I know.  I was on a roll...

It went from two to four to five to three, back to four...then I said "!@#$ it", and just left it saying "three" and typed however many questions I felt like asking.  So I'm lazy...

728671[/snapback]

It's from the Holy Grail Tom... <_<:D

Uh-huh.  Three questions:

728651[/snapback]

15, 64, 39, 12, and 18 :lol:

And of course, throwing out random numbers proves an idea is, in fact, half-assed.

Don't laugh.  It's your theory, poindexter.  If you don't have numbers to back it up, you're full of sh--.

729255[/snapback]

My theory? If it was, I'm sure I'd be making a lot more $$$ than I am. I am no scientist, and I probably wouldn't pass 3rd grade science.

It makes about as much sense to me as the talk about carbon, eggs, and bagels floating in the atmosphere

My theory? If it was, I'm sure I'd be making a lot more $$$ than I am. I am no scientist, and I probably wouldn't pass 3rd grade science.

It makes about as much sense to me as the talk about carbon, eggs, and bagels floating in the atmosphere

729966[/snapback]

So nothing about global warming makes sense to a guy who admits he wouldn't even pass third grade science?

You'll pardon me for pointing out that the reason none of it makes sense might have less to do with the science than it does you... :)

So nothing about global warming makes sense to a guy who admits he wouldn't even pass third grade science?

You'll pardon me for pointing out that the reason none of it makes sense might have less to do with the science than it does you...  ;)

730047[/snapback]

guess the sarcasm went over yourt head.......I'm not a scientist, but both things- the carbon, and use of solar power do make quite a bit of sense

guess the sarcasm went over yourt head.......I'm not a scientist, but both things- the carbon, and use of solar power do make quite a bit of sense

730305[/snapback]

And yet, when I asked you to demonstrate even vaguely how solar panels contribute to global warming, you couldn't even begin to do it and dismissed the question.

Nah...I think I have to go with you being a science idiot. Occam's Razor and all...

And yet, when I asked you to demonstrate even vaguely how solar panels contribute to global warming, you couldn't even begin to do it and dismissed the question.

Nah...I think I have to go with you being a science idiot.  Occam's Razor and all...

730448[/snapback]

Again, its called reflection and absorption. If you want me to use some buzwords, sorry, I am not knowledgable about those, or the carbon gas theory either.

The fact that a theory like that is not even mentioned in that documentary on Discovery, or in that movie, which I'm sure is just peachy, is annoying