Anybody remember S.D.I?

Yes, and yes.

So !@#$ing what?  Is there a point to asking this, or is this just some sort of verbal masturbation on your part intended to waste everyone's time considering random stupid questions again?

719268[/snapback]

Wow.

Then explain to me the point of his questions.  Please.  I really, really want to know what the !@#$ the point was of asking.

May as well post "Do you like cheese?  How about swiss?", as meaningless as his questions were...

719277[/snapback]

Oh, I don't disagree. I'm just admiring the raw emotion. We do have meds for that, you know... :P

Then explain to me the point of his questions.  Please.  I really, really want to know what the !@#$ the point was of asking.

Oh you know. If it wasn't for all those pinko anti-"Ronnie Ray-gun" haters in the 80's, we could have fully funded star wars. And now we'd be sitting pretty here in 2006 with Constitution-class heavy cruisers armed with photon torpedos that could take out those precision-guided taepodong2's before they crash into the ocean and scare the fish. :P

And now we'd be sitting pretty here in 2006 with Constitution-class heavy cruisers armed with photon torpedos that could take out those precision-guided taepodong2's before they crash into the ocean and scare the fish. :P

719347[/snapback]

Well, where the hell is Greenpeace, then? Fish don't deserve to be scared by the supreme leader.

Well, where the hell is Greenpeace, then?  Fish don't deserve to be scared by the supreme leader.

719359[/snapback]

It takes a while to row across the Pacific. (GP can't use motorboats anymore, because those can leak fuel & oil into the water.)

May as well post "Do you like cheese?  How about swiss?", as meaningless as his questions were...

719277[/snapback]

Mmmmmmm, cheese. Now that's a thread topic I could really sink my teeth into.

I think the Antarctic laser discussion was the first domino in the chain that led to Newbie being banned...so yeah, there was a point...  :D

719456[/snapback]

Newbie got banned? I'll bet the Chinese are behind it.

• 2 weeks later...
Oh you know. If it wasn't for all those pinko anti-"Ronnie Ray-gun" haters in the 80's, we could have fully funded star wars. And now we'd be sitting pretty here in 2006 with Constitution-class heavy cruisers armed with photon torpedos that could take out those precision-guided taepodong2's before they crash into the ocean and scare the fish. :)

I know many people like to ridicule military spending, especially forward-looking military spending such as SDI.

So I'll remind you of another futuristic military project that involved preparing for nuclear war. The fear was that a Soviet nuclear attack could knock out our communications system. To prevent this, computers at various points were networked together. Because a hub-and-spoke system would be vulnerable to attack, a net patern was used. The resulting ARPANET was the beginning of the Internet.

Maybe an SDI system would also have produced great, unforeseen benefits. We'll never know, because that particular project only received a little pocket change.

Maybe an SDI system would also have produced great, unforeseen benefits.  We'll never know, because that particular project only received a little pocket change.

724105[/snapback]

Yeah, really. Why, I just emptied $44 billion out of my couch this morning. Surely we could have sent more of the taxpayers' money to this particular graveyard.