Memorable Collapses

I still can't call that a choke- we didn't play tight at all.....they were the better team, and the extra inning games exposed our lack of depth in the bullpen. We were lucky to make that series go 7 games.

713254[/snapback]

But being three outs away from the World Series in *Game 4* and ending up losing the series constitutes a choke job to me. I'm one of the biggest Yankees fans you'll find, so I'm with PTR...26 rings doesn't make 2004 any better to me.

What a joke.  I'm glad to see SI helping to push the idea that just because it happened yesterday, it must be the "biggest ever".  ;)

Now explain to me again how blowing a one shot lead in the US Open is a bigger collapse than blowing a 3 shot lead in the British Open.  Fuggin retards.

712981[/snapback]

That's exactly why....because it happened this week. Even ESPN doesn't throw it in like that. They may do a Top 10 on Sportscenter about the all-time greatest chokes, but they probably wouldn't put Phil's choke in the top 5.

I still can't call that a choke- we didn't play tight at all.....they were the better team, and the extra inning games exposed our lack of depth in the bullpen. We were lucky to make that series go 7 games.

713254[/snapback]

Holy crap. This post is rationalization taken to the nth degree. We're not talking about a Yankee team that "had no chance" when the series started. They lost four in a row once all season, and that was in April. I'll grant you that losing Game 4 wasn't a "choke" in the classic sense, but losing Games 4, 5, 6, and 7 certainly was. That blowup certainly belongs on a Top Ten choke list.

That's exactly why....because it happened this week. Even ESPN doesn't throw it in like that. They may do a Top 10 on Sportscenter about the all-time greatest chokes, but they probably wouldn't put Phil's choke in the top 5.

713308[/snapback]

That's because Phil's "choke" doesn't even belong in the top 20. He played stupidly, but losing a one stroke lead on the last hole is hardly unique. It would only be on the list because ESPN has to play to the mindless "ME, ME, ME, RIGHT NOW!" mindset of the public.

Thomas Bjorn blowing the British Open by going +4 on the last 4 holes a few years ago with no one chasing him was a worse collapse than Mickelson's.

Holy crap.  This post is rationalization taken to the nth degree.  We're not talking about a Yankee team that "had no chance" when the series started.  They lost four in a row once all season, and that was in April.  I'll grant you that losing Game 4 wasn't a "choke" in the classic sense, but losing Games 4, 5, 6, and 7 certainly was.  That blowup certainly belongs on a Top Ten choke list.

713321[/snapback]

Sorry, but the bullpen was a major weakness, and having it extended as far as it was in games four and five, left us with no releif pitchers. Once they got to Schilling in game 6, it was pretty much over.

They simply were a better team- I really think we were lucky to win as many games in that series as we did. As a matter of fact, if you want to see a choke job, watch Boston in game 7 the previous year.

Choking involves more than blowing a lead, it involves the mind interfering, and disabling skills. Calling a blown lead a choke is oversimplification.

For it to be called choking in golf, I would consider it to be major if the player in the lead was at -10 starting the final day, nearest player 3 or more away, and he ends up just totally losing it, can't make any shots to save his day.

Because they had golf in it. Golf isn't a sport. It's a pastime. sure the guys who play it are good, but that doesn't make it a sport. In a sport, you have to have 2 guys hitting each other - preferably with a stick or something. In a sport you need padding so you don't get killed. In a sport, you need a cart to carry off the wounded.

Soccer, Football, Lacrosse, Hockey, those are sports.

Baseball is kind of a sport. Auto Racing is a kind of sport.

Golf, Frisbee Golf, Track, these are not sports.

712919[/snapback]

I agree golf's not a sport. But track--I've run track myself. It hurts to practice, and it hurts to race. Your lungs feel like they're on fire, and your legs feel like they're made of lead. There's no way something which puts you through this much pain is some stupid "pastime." It's a sport, pure and simple.

Go out and run a lap around the track in 75 seconds or less. It's not easy, and many people can't run that fast at all. An average high schooler would have a hard time breaking 80 seconds, and would be out of breath and exhausted by the end.

Once you have a clear idea in your head as to what a 75 second pace is like, I want you to think of this: a five minute mile represents four 75 second laps, back-to-back. Condition your body to be able to run a five minute mile, and then come back and tell me how track's not a sport.

Phiddipedes won the first marathon, and died immediately afterward. Others have died in subsequent marathons. Long distance running has killed far more people than football. Running, if done well, isn't supposed to kill you. But it's supposed to come close, and that's why it hurts as much as it does.

Because they had golf in it. Golf isn't a sport. It's a pastime. sure the guys who play it are good, but that doesn't make it a sport. In a sport, you have to have 2 guys hitting each other - preferably with a stick or something. In a sport you need padding so you don't get killed. In a sport, you need a cart to carry off the wounded.

Soccer, Football, Lacrosse, Hockey, those are sports.

Baseball is kind of a sport. Auto Racing is a kind of sport.

Golf, Frisbee Golf, Track, these are not sports.

712919[/snapback]

Track not a sport? 0:) Track is the purest form of sport! Certainly more of one than auto racing :lol: :lol:

I agree golf's not a sport.  But track--I've run track myself.  It hurts to practice, and it hurts to race.  Your lungs feel like they're on fire, and your legs feel like they're made of lead.  There's no way something which puts you through this much pain is some stupid "pastime."  It's a sport, pure and simple. 

713411[/snapback]

Track was the only "sport" they let me do. Cross Country too. No stick, no ball, no cart for the wounded. No contact, No sport.

OK OK, I'll give you something about it since it was in the first olympics and I suppose that it is considered the definition of sport... well ok, I'll make an exception for some track.

Not shot put though. Or high jump. Or triple jump. Heck triple jump is just an easy form of hopscotch.

Track not a sport?  :blush: Track is the purest form of sport! Certainly more of one than auto racing  :lol: :lol:

713933[/snapback]

Yeah, but you mean sport like in some elitist, preppy, dignity of the human spirit kind of way.

I mean sport like in the South Buffalo tavern, 11 beers, so let's do some shots now, fall off the stool and puke on your pant leg kind of way.

That's all I sayin.

When you talk sport I hear a trumpet chorale and hear Vangelis in 7.1

Me? I'm talking about the sounds the human body makes after a day spent on a bar stool.

That is the sound of real sport.