Stock Market blues

Either way, you still understand that reallocating to try and match what the market is going to do is not advised?

708465[/snapback]

I agree that it is generally a losing strategy in the short term, but disagree as to whether it is neccessarily bad to reallocate in anticipation of long-term changes. Your saying that it is not advised sounds more like personal advice than insight - would you say the same thing to a fund manager? It really boils down to whether one is correct in analyzing trends. While most people fail (indeed, most managers too), I'm not sure the best approach to economics is to throw your hands up in the air and not take responsibility for making educated decisions and changes when called for.

Consider futures. Yes, prices go up, prices go down, and nobody honest knows what will happen tomorrow. It is a market in longer-term expectations, and it is bizarre to think that one would engage in futures trading without betting on their analysis of the trends.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that it is generally a losing strategy in the short term, but disagree as to whether it is neccessarily bad to reallocate in anticipation of long-term changes.  Your saying that it is not advised sounds more like personal advice than insight - would you say the same thing to a fund manager?  It really boils down to whether one is correct in analyzing trends.  While most people fail (indeed, most managers too),  I'm not sure the best approach to economics is to throw your hands up in the air and not take responsibility for making educated decisions and changes when called for.

Consider futures.  Yes, prices go up, prices go down, and nobody honest knows what will happen tomorrow.  It is a market in longer-term expectations, and it is bizarre to think that one would engage in futures trading without betting on their analysis of the trends.

708493[/snapback]

Yeah, you're right, what do I know. Well gotta run. Need to prove that retatta can in fact be done in 20 minutes.

While most people fail (indeed, most managers too),  I'm not sure the best approach to economics is to throw your hands up in the air and not take responsibility for making educated decisions and changes when called for.

708493[/snapback]

This isn't economics, it is the stock market.

What is an 'educated' decision with regard to the market? If you make a 'decision' on the market, sometimes you will be right and sometimes you will be wrong. If you believe in investor psychology, most of the findings indicate that people exacerbate their 'wrong' decisions, and don't take full advantage of their 'right' ones.

Finknottle, unless you are a professional and study the 'market' constantly, how can you possibly justify making a bet on, well... anything 'market' related? There are thousands and thousands of people out there doing just that, and even they screw it up just as often as not! I find it continually amazing that people think they are smarter than everyone else.

It just seems like so much folly to try and find the 'bargains', when it has basically been proven that individuals don't do a good job with that. If you choose to, good luck to you. I hope you're one of the 'smart' ones.

Hey, fink...market's up 90 right now...guess this is the "end" of the "bear market", isn't it?  :D  :D  :w00t:

708870[/snapback]

Damn, I forgot to reallocate based on it going up that much. I am so glad that I have fink snottle to help me invest properly. :lol:

The DJ as of right now is up about 170 points!

709043[/snapback]

More importantly, US Steel is up about $4 right now.

The difference being - and pay attention, finknottle, this is important here - people actually OWN US Steel (myself included - bought into it yesterday around $58 :lol:).

But now I see why this is so hard for people. Tough to be a successful investor when you can't distinguish between sh-- you own, and sh-- that doesn't measure the sh-- you own. :devil:

More importantly, US Steel is up about $4 right now.

The difference being - and pay attention, finknottle, this is important here -  people actually OWN US Steel (myself included - bought into it yesterday around $58  :doh:).

But now I see why this is so hard for people.  Tough to be a successful investor when you can't distinguish between sh-- you own, and sh-- that doesn't measure the sh-- you own.  :devil:

709058[/snapback]

But, but, but, I own the S&P 500 index. I own EVERYTHING!!! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Market's been up as much as 100 from the open today. That puts it 400 off its 12-month high, and 600 over it's finknottle-bear market low.

So fink...how should my portfolio be rebalanced now? For a bull or bear market? Or should I just light up a stogie, kick back, and admire the fact that my US Steel is up 10 in the past three weeks since you wondered what the all-important market was doing?

Market's been up as much as 100 from the open today.  That puts it 400 off its 12-month high, and 600 over it's finknottle-bear market low. 

So fink...how should my portfolio be rebalanced now?  For a bull or bear market?  Or should I just light up a stogie, kick back, and admire the fact that my US Steel is up 10 in the past three weeks since you wondered what the all-important market was doing?

719275[/snapback]

Q: Isn't US Steel basically a shell of a company now?

Market's been up as much as 100 from the open today.  That puts it 400 off its 12-month high, and 600 over it's finknottle-bear market low. 

So fink...how should my portfolio be rebalanced now?  For a bull or bear market?  Or should I just light up a stogie, kick back, and admire the fact that my US Steel is up 10 in the past three weeks since you wondered what the all-important market was doing?

719275[/snapback]

Buy more! I heard there was going to be a bull market on Friday.

Alright, since everyone here seems to have have a variety of opinions, I'll present this question:

If you had 100k cash to invest, how would you do it? CD Ladders? Real Estate? Money Market? Combo..?

Alright, since everyone here seems to have have a variety of opinions, I'll present this question:

If you had 100k cash to invest, how would you do it? CD Ladders? Real Estate? Money Market? Combo..?

719292[/snapback]

I'd use some of it to put money down on a rental property. Take the rest and spread it between stocks and bonds and cash.

I'd use some of it to put money down on a rental property. Take the rest and spread it between stocks and bonds and cash.

719308[/snapback]

I was considering rental properties. I have a few friends that do pretty well with just a couple of places. The downside is the maintenance both in effort and in dollars. I'm a decent enough handyman, but not sure if I want to spend too much time on that sort of thing. Thanks for the response.

I was considering rental properties. I have a few friends that do pretty well with just a couple of places. The downside is the maintenance both in effort and in dollars. I'm a decent enough handyman, but not sure if I want to spend too much time on that sort of thing. Thanks for the response.

719392[/snapback]

100k and that was rental properties.....plural right? First question is where do you live and the second question is how negative do you want your cash flow. :P