Anyone here have a kickass backyard?

SDS

"Sometimes your picture goes "thud", when you look out the window and your yard's full of mud..."

Sorry...still stuck on Gordon Lightfoot...so sorry...

700160[/snapback]

Start thinking about Midnight at the Oasis, and Lightfoot will go away.

Now you will be stuck with Maria Muldaur. That was her worst song and her only hit. :o

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, no...Harry Chapin wrote a book called "Cats Cradle," and Gordon Lightfoot wrote "Cats in the Cradle" with Cat Stevens, which is where Cat Stevens actually got his name. Not a lot of people know this, but before that song, his name was just Stevens.

True story. :o

700206[/snapback]

Speaking of Cat Stevens, have you heard Jimmy Cliff's (reggae) version of Wild World?

We be jammin' - on Ice Nine!

How about a pond with a fountain.  I saw one this weekend that was awesome.  Nice brick surrounding a pool with goldfish in it.  It was awesome and my kids loved it.  I don't have one, but I'd love to.

699821[/snapback]

I have one that has been in operation for quite a few years , and bow am in the planning stages for a KOI pond that will be larger ( and of course more expensive ). You are right most kids love feeding the fish and watching them , since the ponds are really quite shallow as opposed to a swimming pool they are really quite safe , but as with all things young and inquisitive , vigilence is the key.

Moving water is very soothing , and relaxing . Birds , butterflies love them and if you plan well enough they are not really hard to upkeep, of course it helps with the upkeep that I live in NC where winters last about 3 Buffalo Days.

A chiminea (ceramic) on the deck for small fires, marshmallow toasting and s'mores.

700443[/snapback]

Wow. How very California of you. :lol: I never heard of a chiminea until I moved west.

Then again, I never heard of carnitas, El Nino, and bikers being allowed to drive between lanes on the highway until I moved here, either.

Wow. How very California of you. :lol: I never heard of a chiminea until I moved west.

Then again, I never heard of carnitas, El Nino, and bikers being allowed to drive between lanes on the highway until I moved here, either.

700669[/snapback]

chiminea's are gay....fieldstone fireplace is the only way to go.

chiminea's are gay....fieldstone fireplace is the only way to go.

700672[/snapback]

I don't think they're gay. At least not like "driving a FIT" is gay. Instead of thinking people who use chimineas are gay, we should just assume they're bi-curious. :lol:

after clearing a bunch of scrub trees, I'm looking for ideas for the backyard. We already have a nice swingset for the kids that I will be expanding to accomodate some additional play equipment I inherited from the neighbor.  We have a 16x16 deck, but now I am wondering what to do next...

Does anyone have one particular aspect they like about their yard or their neighbor's yard?  A particular entertainment setup or a well used child's play station perhaps?

699816[/snapback]

When I see a backyard (rare in SOCAL), I find the most interesting and distinct feature to be a water thingy. There is something very soothing about bubbling water; either a wall sculpture or some kind of built in.

The gazebo/pergola is nice for some shade (if you are tree-poor) but water music is my cup of tea for relaxing. I have seen them make the smallest space more placid

I have one that has been in operation for quite a few years , and bow am in the planning stages for a KOI pond that will be larger ( and of course more expensive ). You are right most kids love feeding the fish and watching them , since the ponds are really quite shallow as opposed to a swimming pool they are really quite safe , but as with all things young and inquisitive , vigilence is the key.

Moving water is very soothing , and relaxing . Birds , butterflies love them and if you plan well enough they are not really hard to upkeep, of course it helps with the upkeep that I live in NC where winters last about 3 Buffalo Days.

700592[/snapback]

I knew fancy homes in Amherst & Clarence with koi ponds - they just kept a bubbler going all winter to prevent ice - sometimes :D

The koi still got cold and became very sluggish but most survived until the spring

I use to push mow my yard. But I said screw it this year and rather than buying a rider I pay my neighbor who mows for a living to do the yard. $30.00 a week and saves 3-4 hours of my weekend......and it looks fantastic!!!!

I use to push mow my yard. But I said screw it this year and rather than buying a rider I pay my neighbor who mows for a living to do the yard. $30.00 a week and saves 3-4 hours of my weekend......and it looks fantastic!!!!

701189[/snapback]

$30 a week? Damn, you need you some illegals in your area.