Bush's Immigration Speech

Found myself going :lol: because for maybe the second time in his presidency he actually sounded rational tonight. Tho, I suspect about 25 percent of its purpose was to give some pause to the Mexicans (and others, mind you) coming across illegally that it's only going to get tougher and get the Mexican govt off its collective ass and start doing something to make people not have to resort to it.

My only concern is that the NG is already stretched pretty thin despite the placation to the contrary. That's 6,000-7,000 troops that have already pro'ly been away from home for long stretches. Spoken by someone who's looking after his 5yo nephew two weekends a month b/c my sister-in-law is flying the blue star flag.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found myself going :lol: because for maybe the second time in his presidency he actually sounded rational tonight. Tho, I suspect about 25 percent of its purpose was to give some pause to the Mexicans (and others, mind you) coming across illegally that it's only going to get tougher and get the Mexican govt off its collective ass and start doing something to make people not have to resort to it.

My only concern is that the NG is already stretched pretty thin despite the placation to the contrary. That's 6,000-7,000 troops that have already pro'ly been away from home for long stretches. Spoken by someone who's looking after his 5yo nephew two weekends a month b/c my sister-in-law is flying the blue star flag.

692059[/snapback]

I agree with the president. His plan sounds like a good one. My only beef was when he threw the terrorist angle in there. Let's be honest, this is about keeping Mexicans out of the US. Otherwise, it would have been done right after 911, not almost 5 years later.

I agree with the president. His plan sounds like a good one.  My only beef was when he threw the terrorist angle in there. Let's be honest, this is about keeping Mexicans out of the US.  Otherwise, it would have been done right after 911, not almost 5 years later.

692190[/snapback]

Actually, terrorists coming across the southern border is a significant concern nost just of the administration officials, but of government people who actually work for a living, too.

It's usually a valid question, whenever the administration suggests anything, to ask oneself "What's the terrorism concern here?" Usually, it's a driving factor, if not the driving factor.

Actually, terrorists coming across the southern border is a significant concern nost just of the administration officials, but of government people who actually work for a living, too.

It's usually a valid question, whenever the administration suggests anything, to ask oneself "What's the terrorism concern here?"  Usually, it's a driving factor, if not the driving factor.

692216[/snapback]

Well, the Mexicans are darker, just like the arabs. But honestly, islamofascists aren't smart enough to try to inflitrate through Latin America. We're safe.

It's a whole lot easier to line the borders with armed guards and throw all sorts of money at keeping them out....put 'em in jal...than going after the businesses who hire them illegally. Yup, right. ;);):rolleyes:

It's like trying to stop prostitution: if the hookers stood on the streets night after night and there were no takers, eventually they'd find something else to do. Arrest and punish the johns. Likewise if no company would hire an undocumented immigrant, they wouldn't come in such numbers. Oh yeah, they'd come with forged papers, but 12 million of them? Doubtful.

But this is America and we want what we want when we want it. Lacking the willpower to say no and either go without or pay higher prices, we let the politicians continue to bamboozle us with their doubletalk.

As a firefighter one of the first things I learned was to aim the extinguishing agent at the base of the fire if I wanted to extinguish it. Our "leaders" ought to learn the same lesson.

It's a whole lot easier to line the borders with armed guards and throw all sorts of money at keeping them out....put 'em in jal...than going after the businesses who hire them illegally.  Yup, right.  ;)  ;)  :rolleyes:

It's like trying to stop prostitution:  if the hookers stood on the streets night after night and there were no takers, eventually they'd find something else to do.  Arrest and punish the johns.  Likewise if no company would hire an undocumented immigrant, they wouldn't come in such numbers.  Oh yeah, they'd come with forged papers, but 12 million of them?  Doubtful.

But this is America and we want what we want when we want it.  Lacking the willpower to say no and either go without or pay higher prices, we let the politicians continue to bamboozle us with their doubletalk.

As a firefighter one of the first things I learned was to aim the extinguishing agent at the base of the fire if I wanted to extinguish it.  Our "leaders" ought to learn the same lesson.

692259[/snapback]

shouldn't prostitutes = businesses and johns = illegal aliens?

shouldn't prostitutes = businesses and johns = illegal aliens?

692339[/snapback]

Well, yeah. But's what's your point?

(Besides the obvious that hookers & johns would leave the street and conduct their business elsewhere and the visible problem would disappear)

It's usually a valid question, whenever the administration suggests anything, to ask oneself "What's the terrorism concern here?"  Usually, it's a driving factor, if not the driving factor.

692216[/snapback]

CTM, I think you have it backwards, they know that the Narco trafficers wan't to protect their routes from unreasonable inspections by American authorities. As a recent hispanic comedian stated, "where did all the 911 and other arrested terrorists come to U.S. through....Canada! The drug boys guard their routes jealously and have and will immediately turn in anyone likely to screw up their organizations.

Kinda of like the Pimps and hookers in DC, lowest crime areas in the City other than sex crimes. They protect their areas from other idiots, just good business practice.

Interesting theory, anecdotal only, but I didn't make it up.

CTM, I think you have it backwards, they know that the Narco trafficers wan't to protect their routes from unreasonable inspections by American authorities.  As a recent hispanic comedian stated, "where did all the 911 and other arrested terrorists come to U.S. through....Canada!  The drug boys guard their routes jealously and have and will immediately turn in anyone likely to screw up their organizations.

Kinda of like the Pimps and hookers in DC, lowest crime areas in the City other than sex crimes.  They protect their areas from other idiots, just good business practice.

Interesting theory, anecdotal only, but I didn't make it up.

692421[/snapback]

It is an interesting theory. And I know my old VA neighborhood had a low crime rate precisely because the drug gangs policed it themselves, so that the police wouldn't have to, and cut into their bottom line.

Still...I didn't just make up my theory either. I've heard just as many anecdotal references to terrorists and drug cartels being in bed together, precisely as a marriage of convenience.

It is an interesting theory.  And I know my old VA neighborhood had a low crime rate precisely because the drug gangs policed it themselves, so that the police wouldn't have to, and cut into their bottom line. 

Still...I didn't just make up my theory either.  I've heard just as many anecdotal references to terrorists and drug cartels being in bed together, precisely as a marriage of convenience.

692428[/snapback]

I have heard the one you suggest, however, the fact is that the terrorists that have been caught or were part of 911 entered from Canada, so there appears to be some validity to the counter argument, especially, since we are spending so much time working on our southern border.

Plus the Canadian Border is so much more wide open, but you would probably have to be a homer to know where it is safe. Unlikely for that level of avoidance.

This discussion brings up some interesting questions on our security efforts.

I have heard the one you suggest, however, the fact is that the terrorists that have been caught or were part of 911 entered from Canada, so there appears to be some validity to the counter argument, especially, since we are spending so much time working on our southern border.

Plus the Canadian Border is so much more wide open, but you would probably have to be a homer to know where it is safe.  Unlikely for that level of avoidance. 

This discussion brings up some interesting questions on our security efforts.

692451[/snapback]

I don't dispute the validity of the counter-argument - hell, I don't even SEE it as a counter-argument. There's more than one way to enter the country. Personally, I'd be more afraid of the gomer flying first class in to LaGuardia on Virgin Atlantic than I would the one sneaking through the fence at Laredo or walking across the Peace Bridge or stowing away in a cargo container - the guy flying in has more credibility built into his presence, and can operate far more openly.

The real issue with the southern border, I think (I'm really just guessing here), is material. If you can truck 30 Mexicans or a ton of weed in at a time without getting caught, it doesn't say much for our ability to interdict real national security threats.

"where did all the 911 and other arrested terrorists come to U.S. through....Canada! 

692421[/snapback]

Please check your facts - NONE of the 911 terrorists entered the US through Canada. Do a quick google and you will find several apologies from American officials for suggesting it. The 9/11 Commission confirmed that all of the terrorists had US visas and none entered from Canada.

We're far from perfect, but if you want to blame us for your problems, at least pick the ones that we're responsible for.

Please check your facts - NONE of the 911 terrorists entered the US through Canada.  Do a quick google and you will find several apologies from American officials for suggesting it.  The 9/11 Commission confirmed that all of the terrorists had US visas and none entered from Canada.

We're far from perfect, but if you want to blame us for your problems, at least pick the ones that we're responsible for.

692541[/snapback]

Like global warming.