I watched The Sopranos for the first time

Man has that show declined in quality!!!!

WTF is with these 2 gay guys and MUST they show everything??? Why is that dragged out so much?? Is the show attempting to push some kind of agenda now?

Just seems to me, The Sopranos actually "whacked" a few too many great characters early on (Mikey P, Big Pus, Ralph, Richie, just to name a few) that maybe if they kept 1 or 2 of those characters the show would still be top notch today.

And I miss Adriana :P

WTF is with these 2 gay guys and MUST they show everything???  Why is that dragged out so much??  Is the show attempting to push some kind of agenda now?

Just seems to me, The Sopranos actually "whacked" a few too many great characters early on (Mikey P, Big Pus, Ralph, Richie, just to name a few) that maybe if they kept 1 or 2 of those characters the show would still be top notch today.

And I miss Adriana  :P

691659[/snapback]

Well had you watched the entire show, you would have saw that Vito did in fact leave Johnny Cakes and was on his way back to Jersey, and had to kill someone.

WTF is with these 2 gay guys and MUST they show everything???  Why is that dragged out so much??  Is the show attempting to push some kind of agenda now?

And I miss Adriana  :P

691659[/snapback]

The last two episodes have felt as though they've dragged for me, too. I was really into it the first two or three, but lately it's like pulling teeth to get some movement on a story line. The whole Brokeback Guido angle is wearing on my nerves, too. I thought I was beign to hard on the show until I watched my first couple episodes of '24' the other night. HOly CRAP does this show have a pace to it. I know the material is totally different, but still....other seasons of the Sopranos had more going on in each episode than what these last couple have.

Well had you watched the entire show, you would have saw that Vito did in fact leave Johnny Cakes and was on his way back to Jersey, and had to kill someone.

691665[/snapback]

And wasnt it obvious Vito was gonna shoot that guy?? Man, all for $600?? :P

The last two episodes have felt as though they've dragged for me, too. I was really into it the first two or three, but lately it's like pulling teeth to get some movement on a story line. The whole Brokeback Guido angle is wearing on my nerves, too. I thought I was beign to hard on the show until I watched my first couple episodes of '24' the other night. HOly CRAP does this show have a pace to it. I know the material is totally different, but still....other seasons of the Sopranos had more going on in each episode than what these last couple have.

691667[/snapback]

you didn't enjoy last nights episode?

i thought it was brilliant. Janice at a Ginny Sac's house sayign how much she loved the place, and next thing you know she buys it from her forcefully.

One minute you feel sorry for Vito for being persecuted because he was gay, the next minute he's killing an innocent bystander.

The way the season is shaping up, the last 8 episodes will be better than the 1st three seasons because of the hatred between Tony and Phil and the fact that there is a new boss of bosses in town.

And wasnt it obvious Vito was gonna shoot that guy?? Man, all for $600??  :P

691671[/snapback]

Ya but he couldn't get caught. I think Chase did this so people would stop feeling sorry for Vito. One point he's a guy just trying to live his life, then he gets a dose of the real world and he can't wait to go back.

I think that the episode was good. 

I think that some people forget that this show is a family drama, the mob life and everything is second to that.

What other show can you discuss so indepth like this one?

691678[/snapback]

24, i mean Chloe is such a complex character.

I think that the episode was good. 

I think that some people forget that this show is a family drama, the mob life and everything is second to that.

What other show can you discuss so indepth like this one?

691678[/snapback]

People always harp on and on about how much they hate the show, becasue there isn't enough action for their taste. Go, watch "24". It has more action per second than anything on tv. If the clock schtick doesn't ware thin after a few episodes, stick with it, and enjoy. If you prefer to spend your tv time watching things that are thought provoking, introspective, and realistic, maybe give the "Sopranos" a shot.

To each his own...all I can say is I am very glad that David Chase has stayed with the show, and let it run its' course with dignity. I never really judge the show on a "per episode" basis. If you watched last night, and thought "nothing" happened, I guess you watched a different show than I did. I love that there is something on tv that isn't ultra perdictable, and spends time on the nuances of life, not just the highlights. You can never really predict what is going to happen, because, like real people, these characters are all capable of incredible acts of rage, and at the same time, acts of remorse, and decency.

One thing that had me a little confused, last night, was the powerplay that Tony seemed to be having with Carmela over the house issue. It seemed like he was feeling guilty about the way he treated Janice & Bobby, so he made ammends. Then, he took vengence on Carmela, for really, nothing. Maybe it was the "jealousy" issue Melfi was saying he had...

you didn't enjoy last nights episode?

i thought it was brilliant.  Janice at a Ginny Sac's house sayign how much she loved the place, and next thing you know she buys it from her forcefully. 

One minute you feel sorry for Vito for being persecuted because he was gay, the next minute he's killing an innocent bystander.

The way the season is shaping up, the last 8 episodes will be better than the 1st three seasons because of the hatred between Tony and Phil and the fact that there is a new boss of bosses in town.

691675[/snapback]

I can't say I didn't enjoy it, cause I love the show.....I just don't ever remember feeling like things were being drawn out to this extent. I remember when I first started renting the seasons via Netflix, there would be episodes where I'd feel EXHAUSTED by the time it was over. Sure there were episodes here and there that were a bit slower than the rest, but I feel like we've been waiting for the shoe to drop with Vito for weeks now. Don't get me wrong....I'm goign to watch every single minute of what they put out there....It just expected these last two episodes to have really had some sh-- hitting the fan.

People always harp on and on about how much they hate the show, becasue there isn't enough action for their taste.  Go, watch "24".  It has more action per second than anything on tv.  If the clock schtick doesn't ware thin after a few episodes, and you prefer to waste your tv time watching things that are thought provoking and realistic, maybe give the "Sopranos" a shot. 

To each his own...all I can say is I am very glad that David Chase has stayed with the show, and let it run its' course with dignity.  I never really judge the show on a "per episode" basis.  If you watched last night, and thought "nothing"  happened, I guess you watched a different show than I did.  I love that there is something on tv that isn't ultra perdictable, and spends time on the nuances of life, not just the highlights. 

One thing that had me a little confused, was the powerplay that Tony seemed to be having with Carmela over the house issue.  It seemed like he was feeling guilty about the way he treated Janice & Bobby, so he made ammends.  Then, he took vengence on Carmela, for really, nothing.  Maybe it was the "jealousy" issue Melfi was saying he had...

691690[/snapback]

I don't know if that's directed at me in part, but here's my theory on it: You can be entertained in a lot of different ways. At least for me, it can be action, drama, sci-fi, ....hell, even a chick flick here and there can be good. It's not about one genre over another, it's about feeling like you spent that hour being entertained. Nobody is saying NOTHING happened last night or the week before. I'm just comparing things to what I saw during the first five seasons, and I would venture to bet that those seasons are fresher in my head than most since I was late to the party. I am into '24' after the first four episodes because it takes what it is and just NAILS it. That's exactly the same thing I've been able to say about the Sorpranos more often than not, too. I'm just noting a little bit of a difference in the progression of the various plot points this season...that's all.

One thing that had me a little confused, last night, was the powerplay that Tony seemed to be having with Carmela over the house issue.  It seemed like he was feeling guilty about the way he treated Janice & Bobby, so he made ammends.  Then, he took vengence on Carmela, for really, nothing.  Maybe it was the "jealousy" issue Melfi was saying he had...

691690[/snapback]

You didn't notice that Tony was upset that his wife wasn't cooking him dinner, listening to Meadow wine about Finn and other things. When he saw her take too much attention away from him and to her own personal agenda, he scrapped it, and he could because of the power he has.

I think Janice is just representing Livia and the control she has over Tony. As much as a bad mother that Livia was to Tony, he still did good things for her to try and please her. She destroys everything around her including her husband and her brother.

more than $600.00. A) he had been drinking, B) he's a freaking mobster, C) I am sure he did not need the publicity of an arrest report

And wasnt it obvious Vito was gonna shoot that guy?? Man, all for $600??  :lol:

691671[/snapback]

You can never really predict what is going to happen, because, like real people, these characters are all capable of incredible acts of rage, and at the same time, acts of remorse, and decency. 

691690[/snapback]

Right. There's a shade of decency, I suppose, if a hundred years of beatings, rapes, extortion, narcotics running, intimidation, political influence, assainations, arsons, shootings, etc., is somehow made understandable and forgiven by tv viewers.

Have you ever come across one of these mf's, live, in your face? It's not entertainment...

:lol:

Right. There's a shade of decency, I suppose, if a hundred years of beatings, rapes, extortion, narcotics running, intimidation, political influence, assainations, arsons, shootings, etc., is somehow made understandable and forgiven by tv viewers.

Have you ever come across one of these mf's, live, in your face?  It's not entertainment...

691759[/snapback]

Care to elaborate? Sounds like you have an interesting tale to tell there, Cincy :P

Have you ever come across one of these mf's, live, in your face?  It's not entertainment...

691759[/snapback]

Sorry cincy, didn't mean to strike a nerve! I stand by my statement though! :P

691759[/snapback]

I have. Although I haven't ever done business with any of these guys (since i have no business), you see the way they are treated differently. It also shows how the kids of these guys can either be extremely spoiled or extremely humble.

You didn't notice that Tony was upset that his wife wasn't cooking him dinner, listening to Meadow wine about Finn and other things.  When he saw her take too much attention away from him and to her own personal agenda, he scrapped it, and he could because of the power he has. 

I think Janice is just representing Livia and the control she has over Tony.  As much as a bad mother that Livia was to Tony, he still did good things for her to try and please her.  She destroys everything around her including her husband and her brother.

691705[/snapback]

Yes, I noticed those things. And I know Melfi said to him "You seem to be all for Carmela and her house, unless it interferes with you" or something like that. I guess I was reading something more into it. He seemed to take offense to her saying that she was going to get help from the guy who designed Johnny Sacs' house. Then, he turns around and gives Sacs house to Janice?

Also, the scene where he is watching the Giants/Eagles game, with Bobby...Bobby is getting disrespected by his son who wants to go to his buddies house to watch the Chargers game, ("This is a Giants household"- classic line!), Janice steps in, and sort of humiliates the kid, and "corrects" the situation. The smile on Tony's face, after it all, seemed to me (but you never know with the "Sops") a level of new found respect for his sisters' parenting skills...maybe it is the mother thing again! After all, Tony is nothing but a reluctant "mamma's boy"!

Yes, I noticed those things.  And I know Melfi said to him "You seem to be all for Carmela and her house, unless it interferes with you" or something like that.  I guess I was reading something more into it.  He seemed to take offense to her saying that she was going to get help from the guy who designed Johnny Sacs' house.  Then, he turns around and gives Sacs house to Janice?

Also, the scene where he is watching the Giants/Eagles game, with Bobby...Bobby is getting disrespected by his son who wants to go to his buddies house to watch the Chargers game, ("This is a Giants household"- classic line!), Janice steps in, and sort of humiliates the kid, and "corrects" the situation.  The smile on Tony's face, after it all, seemed to me (but you never know with the "Sops") a level of new found respect for his sisters' parenting skills...maybe it is the mother thing again!  After all, Tony is nothing but a reluctant "mamma's boy"!

691831[/snapback]

Good point, i thought that too but after reading a post on that msg board i pm'ed you, it sort of looks as if Bobby is Johnny Boy Soprano and Janice is Livia. I don't remember Tony smiling during that scene, it actually looked as if Tony felt bad for Bobby, knowing that this man was unfortunate and stupid enough to marry his manipulative sister.

When Tony saw Bobby's son, I think it reminded him of himself as a boy, being treated as an idiot by his mother and not really getting any guidance from his father.

more than $600.00.  A) he had been drinking, B) he's a freaking mobster, C) I am sure he did not need the publicity of an arrest report

691727[/snapback]

D) As far as he knows he's on the whack list for either being queer and/or being AWOL.