Willis McGahee

That all depends on how you look at it. I meant that he is worthy to wear the jersey its just that he is quickly proving that wrong. If he continues to carry the ball 3.9 yards a carry then i would say he has not lived up to what he was in college. I would say that my opinion simply reflects the idea that Willis is turning into one of these guys with a big mouth that does not produce as well on the field.

I guess i just have to clarify more clearly what i mean at the start of a topic.

688908[/snapback]

It seems to me there are two separate actions being taken by WM abd judgments to be made on them by Bills fans.

1. What has his production been?

A. Over 1200 yards gained last year (making him the fastest Bill ever to gain 2000 yards which I have noted several times includes faster to this point than OJ or Thurman)

B. 28 receptions last year an improvement over 22 the year before but this number came with him appearing in more games.

C. 5 TDs last year which was a steep drop-off from 12 the year before achieved in fewer games.

D. His rushing avg/carry at 3.8 was last among the top 10 (though 5 or 6 of the guys ahead of him where at 4.3 or lower).

Overall, on the face of it the numbers have some things being better than what has been achieved historically and some not comparing favorably with other top 10 rushing backs in the NFL in yards gained though as a base level of achievement he finished 10th in thenFL in yards gaine. Folks can feel about these numbers how they feel.

2, What are Bills fans reactions?

Most seem disatisfied overall with the Bills W/Ls last year, but in regards to WM's production, they seem to judge it as downright stupid for folks to ignore the positives because of the "negatives" (if you want to call merely being the 10th best RC in the NFL a negative).

WM's production last year was extremely good in the first half of the season when his production numbers ranked in the top 3 or so in the NFL, but they tailed off considerably and were a big rxpression of out O falling apart.

However, given the crappy play of the OL and the general playcalling failings leading to TC getting canned and other facets of the O which did not rely upon WM also falling apart, it would seem the height of blame shopping to try to blame all this on him.

This year will tell us more as with a new OC and a new system the O continues to lag and the fault seems to be on WM for some tangible reasons (a lot of fumbles, dropped passes, or him repetitively getting stopped short of the goaline) then a better case might be made that he is to blame.

However, his improvement in raw # of receptions while this did not become a featured part of his game seems to indicate a failure in the playcalling to pass to him enough. The drop-off in TDs seems to be led by the O playcalling falling apart rather than some WM issue being the primary cause (if not what happened to his running style and ability that he dropped from 12 to 5 TDs). MW and Campbell were cut and Teague allowed to walk so their play must have something to do with this if we are blame shopping.

The bottomline here is that I think on a raw achievement level finishing 10th in yardage gained rushing and getting their at a younger age that past Bills greats is not bad. What seems to be going on here was that some fans had unrealistic expectations that this #23 choice would perform like the best RB in the NFL rather than the 10th best.

It seems that in answer to the question of this thread of what should we do, based on the football the answer clearly seems to be wait and see how he does this year in a new framework. If he produces more like the RB who scored 12 TDs in a partial season or laid the groundwork for some still quite impressive rushing numbers then we are golden on the field. If instead he continues on as "merely" the 1-th best RB in the NFL the braintrust needs to think seriously about augmenting his play with a credible #2 who is a threat in and of himself and who pushes WM.

Oh yeah... there are also some fans who get their enjoyment from the game by following off the field soap operas as closely as they follow on the field play. My advice is that there seem to be few percentages and little value in the soap opera side of the NFL, but to each their own.

Certainly if a players off field antics negatively impact their on field play this is a problem. Howevr, my advice is that whether its the NFL promoting its QB Club to pretend to be better people than they likely are or WMs assinine comments about fathering children and not taking responsibility for them, just ignore this crap and enjoy the game.

WM seems to be an idiot to get pregnant by so my advice to Boondocks and other soap opera concerned individuals is do not sleep or have sex with Willis. You almost certainly will avoid getting impregnated by him.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe you didn't understand the post, but i am not making any suggestions as to what we should do, instead i am trying to provoke conversation and debate. I wasn't as interested in voicing my opinion first, but instead seeing what other people thought of the current situation with Willis McGahee.

I would love for McGahee to work out, he could be the face of the Buffalo Bills. Stop putting words in my mouth by saying i want a bunch of choir boys. As a matter of fact i think that it is almost necessary to have an ass on your team to motivate the other players on the team. So stop having assumptions and pull your head out of your ass.

688869[/snapback]

conversation and intelligent debate on this board? Geez now that would be a change.

It seems to me there are two separate actions being taken by WM abd judgments to be made on them by Bills fans.

1. What has his production been?

A. Over 1200 yards gained last year (making him the fastest Bill ever to gain 2000 yards which I have noted several times includes faster to this point than OJ or Thurman)

B. 28 receptions last year an improvement over 22 the year before but this number came with him appearing in more games.

C. 5 TDs last year which was a steep drop-off from 12 the year before achieved in fewer games.

D. His rushing avg/carry at 3.8 was last among the top 10 (though 5 or 6 of the guys ahead of him where at 4.3 or lower).

Overall, on the face of it the numbers have some things  being better than what has been achieved historically and some not comparing favorably with other top 10 rushing backs in the NFL in yards gained though as a base level of achievement he finished 10th in thenFL in yards gaine.  Folks can feel about these numbers how they feel.

2, What are Bills fans reactions?

Most seem disatisfied overall with the Bills W/Ls last year, but in regards to WM's production, they seem to judge it as downright stupid for folks to ignore the positives because of the "negatives" (if you want to call merely being the 10th best RC in the NFL a negative).

WM's production last year was extremely good in the first half of the season when his production numbers ranked in the top 3 or so in the NFL, but they tailed off considerably and were a big rxpression of out O falling apart.

However, given the crappy play of the OL and the general playcalling failings leading to TC getting canned and other facets of the O which did not rely upon WM also falling apart, it would seem the height of blame shopping to try to blame all this on him.

This year will tell us more as with a new OC and a new system the O continues to lag and the fault seems to be on WM for some tangible reasons (a lot of fumbles, dropped passes, or him repetitively getting stopped short of the goaline) then a better case might be made that he is to blame.

However, his improvement in raw # of receptions while this did not become a featured part of his game seems to indicate a failure in the playcalling to pass to him enough.  The drop-off in TDs seems to be led by the O playcalling falling apart rather than some WM issue being the primary cause (if not what happened to his running style and ability that he dropped from 12 to 5 TDs).  MW and Campbell were cut and Teague allowed to walk so their play must have something to do with this if we are blame shopping.

The bottomline here is that I think on a raw achievement level finishing 10th in yardage gained rushing and getting their at a younger age that past Bills greats is not bad. What seems to be going on here was that some fans had unrealistic expectations that this #23 choice would perform like the best RB in the NFL rather than the 10th best.

It seems that in answer to the question of this thread of what should we do, based on the football the answer clearly seems to be wait and see how he does this year in a new framework.  If he produces more like the RB who scored 12 TDs in a partial season or laid the groundwork for some still quite impressive rushing numbers then we are golden on the field. If instead he continues on as "merely" the 1-th best RB in the NFL the braintrust needs to think seriously about  augmenting his play with a credible #2 who is a threat in and of himself and who pushes WM.

Oh yeah... there are also some fans who get their enjoyment from the game by following off the field soap operas as closely as they follow on the field play.  My advice is that there seem to be few percentages and little value in the soap opera side of the NFL, but to each their own.

Certainly if a players off field antics negatively impact their on field play this is a problem.  Howevr, my advice is that whether its the NFL promoting its QB Club to pretend to be better people than they likely are or WMs assinine comments about fathering children and not taking responsibility for them, just ignore this crap and enjoy the game.

WM seems to be an idiot to get pregnant by so my advice to Boondocks and other soap opera concerned individuals is do not sleep or have sex with Willis. You almost certainly will avoid getting impregnated by him.

688989[/snapback]

Am I the only one who scrolls through long drawn out posts without reading them? This could be the most intelligent thing ever written, but I will never know because I don't go on a chat board to read a novel. If I could get the cliffs notes I would really appreciate it.

One of the dumbest threads ever. Maybe if we got a team full of choir boys you'd be happy?

I agree with Kelly...give him the damn ball and open a gap.

He only had 5 touchdowns because Mularkey was so stupid he wouldn't give him the ball on 1st and goal from the 2. McGahee's comments are somewhat stupid sometimes, but it's nothing worth what you're talking about. Lighten up man.

688846[/snapback]

His comments may be stupid sometimes, but on the field nobody exceeded his HC for unadulterated stupidity.

Dude, stick to  a side. Your waffling is making me hungry.

688974[/snapback]

I'd hate to see how you'd react if he started just dickin' around then :devil::angry:

WM continues to prove that he is not worthy to be in a Bills uniform. He was supposed to be the spark in our running game that Travis Henry wasn't adding, but i think that we have regressed since Henry's departure.

His assinine comments and actions off the field continue to prove that he is not the type of player this new Bills regime is looking for. His comments about babymamas and ex-wives, being the best running back in the league, showing up on NFL Total Access blazed out of his simple mind, and not showing up for mini camps i think is very reflective on his attitude towards this football team.

His production has fallen off since Henry's departure and last year had very few touchdowns. He can't break long runs and is not the running back that he was in college.

Should the Bills keep McGahee, trade him for a draft pick or another running back, or should we just flat out cut him (Not my suggestion)? If we were to trade for another running back, who would you want it to be and who would be a legitimate possibility of acquiring?

688809[/snapback]

But the professionals (our coaches and GM) and most fans said that he'd be great.

How can that be?

But the professionals (our coaches and GM) and most fans said that he'd be great. 

How can that be?

689566[/snapback]

I don't care. I like him. Give me a red blooded American who likes to party and drive nice cars - I don't care. Just give him the rock 35 times a game and lets see what happens. As long as he isn't eating babies and stealing from fast food clerks, what do any of us care if he likes the ladies? If he had commented on Farves shorts we'd be pissed he was gay. Can't have it both ways. I don't want a hardcore peace loving hippy daintly frolicing into the Dolphins Dline. I want a fast car driving womanizer with 30 babes in the stands to impress, motoring through the PATs Bruschi clones. In fact let the kid say all the wrong things and see if I care- still. Make him set high goals for himself, and let him stupidly and publicly proclaim them, because if he falls short so waht. Thats better then him saying "I'm going to run for 750 yards this year and purposely be medicore. Shoot for the stars son, cuz when you fall short at least you'll be out of this world.

I don't care. I like him.  Give me a red blooded American who likes to party and drive nice cars - I don't care.  Just give him the rock 35 times a game and lets see what happens.  As long as he isn't eating babies and stealing from fast food clerks, what do any of us care if he likes the ladies? If he had commented on Farves shorts we'd be pissed he was gay.  Can't have it both ways.  I don't want a hardcore peace loving hippy daintly frolicing into the Dolphins Dline.  I want a fast car driving womanizer with 30 babes in the stands to impress, motoring through the PATs Bruschi clones.  In fact let the kid say all the wrong things and see if I care- still.  Make him set high goals for himself, and let him stupidly and publicly proclaim them, because if he falls short so waht.  Thats better then him saying "I'm going to run for 750 yards this year and purposely be medicore.  Shoot for the stars son, cuz when you fall short at least you'll be out of this world.

689585[/snapback]

I like him too, i want him to work out.

Am I the only one who scrolls through long drawn out posts without reading them?  This could be the most intelligent thing ever written, but I will never know because I don't go on a chat board to read a novel.  If I could get the cliffs notes I would really appreciate it.

I was bored, so here you go:

McGahee's positives:

- Fastest Bill to achieve 2000 rushing yards

- 10th most rushing yards of any RB last year

McGahee's negatives:

- Average yards per carry was a mediocre 3.8

- His production dropped off in the second half of the season

- The 28 receptions he had could have been more

McGahee's negatives may well have been due to poor playcalling or bad play by the offensive line.  If you don't run him often enough, or if the guys in front of him can't block, he's not going to get yards.  If you don't call pass plays for him, he's not going to catch passes. 

Don't worry about the off-field stuff unless it starts affecting his play.

I know exactly what to do with Willis. Give him the ball a lot. And then throw it to him sometimes. And then give it to him a lot more. And then fake it to him and throw before giving it to him again.

688831[/snapback]

That would have been my plan as well, but when you go the route the Bills have taken, which is to weed out the high maintenance players and try to create synergy by putting together a group of pluggers that is team first then a douchebag like McGahee becomes a big problem.

IMO, McGahee wants to choose where he plays and he is taking the passive aggressive approach, doing just enough to get by, but hoping that the Bills cut or trade him so he can sign where he wants and get more money in the process. He proved his talent two years ago, now all he has to do is JUST ENOUGH and set himself up for his next team. As a 'Canes fan, I'm disgraced by his performance last year and lack of preparation.

the O-LINE SUCKS ASS!!!! walter payton himself would have a hard time running behind this sorry excuse for a o-line! put willis with the chiefs or broncos and i guarantee u that people would say willis is already hall of fame bound :doh:

people really need to stop worrying about willis,he is the very least of our concerns and trust me there are quite a few! the guy was the second coming of oj with size before the o-line regressed last year. fastest guy in nfl history to ten 100 yd games, yeah lets get rid of him he sucks :w00t:

I was bored, so here you go:
McGahee's positives:

- Fastest Bill to achieve 2000 rushing yards

- 10th most rushing yards of any RB last year

McGahee's negatives:

- Average yards per carry was a mediocre 3.8

- His production dropped off in the second half of the season

- The 28 receptions he had could have been more

McGahee's negatives may well have been due to poor playcalling or bad play by the offensive line.  If you don't run him often enough, or if the guys in front of him can't block, he's not going to get yards.  If you don't call pass plays for him, he's not going to catch passes. 

Don't worry about the off-field stuff unless it starts affecting his play.

689678[/snapback]

Many thanks. I write all this crap so I know it must be a difficult thing to read through it an translate. I tried Cliffnoting buy found my wife was gettin bugged already with me takin the time to write it I found I rarely had time to summarize.

It is appreciated though so thanks.

Many thanks. I write all this crap so I know it must be a difficult thing to read through it an translate. I tried Cliffnoting buy found my wife was gettin bugged already with me takin the time to write it I found I rarely had time to summarize.

It is appreciated though so thanks.

689715[/snapback]

Can't you just Cliff Note it to begin with??? I am usually pretty interested in what you say, too, but you can certainly make your points more concise and compact than the way you typically get them across. Just get to the point!! :w00t:

It'd be nice if he didn't quit at the end of the year this time.

689733[/snapback]

It'll be nice if the coaching staff doesn't quit at the end of the year this time.

Somehow that seems very unlike anything Marv would put up with - from anybody.

There's a new sheriff in town and one that knows what it's like inside the Locker Room not just the Powder Room of ESPN.

It'll be nice if the coaching staff doesn't quit at the end of the year this time.

Somehow that seems very unlike anything Marv would put up with - from anybody.

There's a new sheriff in town and one that knows what it's like inside the Locker Room not just the Powder Room of ESPN.

689743[/snapback]

Oh that's right, McGahee's enthusiastic performance carried the coaching staff in Cincinatti :w00t:

i would really really like to see the a-train come back into form so we can send willis down the road.willis will probably turn out to be a real good runningback,but i feel he is a "its all about me player".he has holdout written all over him.this will be his 4th year on the bills and 2nd as the fulltime starter....i wonder if he will ever be 100% all we hear is he is close well its year 4. if he dosnt show the bills anything this season i think its time to move on..........i wouldnt even mind so much if he was giving 100% but you just dont get the feeling that he is,plus he hasnt been anywhere near training camp.go bills in"06

The question that i want to ask is why are people so firmly behind a guy who is just going to leave when his contract expires. 20 internet dollars say that McGahee's loyalty does not lie with Buffalo and you will see him book to a southern team at the end of his time in Buffalo.