What is "three technique"?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see this term mentioned in connection with DT play.

687321[/snapback]

I believe that the 3 tackle is responsible for taking up the center and one guard, while the 1 deals with the guard. Course I could have it backwards or totally twisted.

I believe that the 3 tackle is responsible for taking up the center and one guard, while the 1 deals with the guard.  Course I could have it backwards or totally twisted.

687325[/snapback]

Hmmm. So one DT decides to wipe out 2 OL's, and they agree to offer themselves up for that.

Neat. ;)

This article does a decent job of explaining:

http://football.calsci.com/Positions8.html

687329[/snapback]

thanks, i just learned a lot.

but i dont see how a team can have 2 "3-tech" guys on the field together. (tripplett and McCargo).

both would be lined up on the outside sholder of the OGs. on a run play the C would not be touched untill he hit a linebacker.

but i dont see how a team can have 2 "3-tech" guys on the field together. (tripplett and McCargo).

both would be lined up on the outside sholder of the OGs. on a run play the C would not be touched untill he hit a linebacker.

687484[/snapback]

you could on 3rd and long, or you could move a guy from the 3 to the 1 or 2.

i think our 3rd and passing downs D will be MUCH improved

687484[/snapback]

Assuming it wasn't something like 3rd and long and seeing that, any sharp qb would call his own number and follow his center for an easy 5, 6, 7 or more yards. Wouldn't even bother wasting a valuble one second to hand off - beat them with their pants down, so to speak.

687484[/snapback]

The interesting about the Bills is that given the general weight parameters for Ds laid out in this article with 3 technique guts weighing in at 290-300, nose tackles wighing in at 350 and no specific weight listed for two gap guys but a main requirement being "larger stronger defensive tackles who can control an offensive lineman. " the Bills top 4 DTs of Triplett, McCargo, Anderson, and Williams all look closer to being 3 technique guys in terms of weight with Anderson the heaviest at 304.

These weight "estimations" are of course based on the classic 3 tech guys and other DL players and a team can make it work diverging from these classic estimations with good players in the right scheme.

However, it is specifically because Anderson has struck me as an athlete showing reasonable development as a player, but he never has struck me with his play as some freakishly strong run stuffer.

Its part of the reason that I think many posters to TSW are just makking assumptions that may have little basis in reality about what or D scheme is really going to be as to make this effective Jauron and Fewell are really going to need to come up with some new scheme or application that confuses the heck out of opposing OCs,

On the face of it it appears we are going to line up 2 DTs who both are going to be 3- technique DLs by the classic definition.

At some early point once McCargo learns and plays like it appears we expect him to given that we thought he was worth trading valuable resources to draft him in the 1st, if our goal is to put our best players on the field, it is going to be Triplett/McCargo as the DTs.

If folks say this cannot be done as we would have two 3 techs playing together thien this necessarily argues that the other likely starter is going to be Anderson, and I neither see him as having the size to be the classic run stuffer in the nose tackle mode or the freakishly strong DT we expect to play the two gap mode.

The interesting about the Bills is that given the general weight parameters for Ds laid out in this article with 3 technique guts weighing in at 290-300, nose tackles wighing in at 350 and no specific weight listed for two gap guys but a main requirement being "larger stronger defensive tackles who can control an offensive lineman. " the Bills top 4 DTs of Triplett, McCargo, Anderson, and Williams all look closer to being 3 technique guys in terms of weight with Anderson the heaviest at 304.

These weight "estimations" are of course based on the classic 3 tech guys and other DL players and a team can make it work diverging from these classic estimations with good players in the right scheme.

However, it is specifically because Anderson has struck me as an athlete showing reasonable development as a player, but he never has struck me with his play as some freakishly strong run stuffer.

Its part of the reason that I think many posters to TSW are just makking assumptions that may have little basis in reality about what or D scheme is really going to be as to make this effective Jauron and Fewell are really going to need to come up with some new scheme or application that confuses the heck out of opposing OCs,

On the face of it it appears we are going to line up 2 DTs who both are going to be 3- technique DLs by the classic definition.

At some early point once McCargo learns and plays like it appears we expect him to given that we thought he was worth trading valuable resources to draft him in the 1st, if our goal is to put our best players on the field, it is going to be Triplett/McCargo as the DTs.

If folks say this cannot be done as we would have two 3 techs playing together thien this necessarily argues that the other likely starter is going to be Anderson, and I neither see him as having the size to be the classic run stuffer in the nose tackle mode or the freakishly strong DT we expect to play the two gap mode.

687515[/snapback]

Is every post a story?