How This Draft Can Be An A+ Draft

Draft day grades are, of course, meaningless and based on a set of assumptions. If those assumptions turn to be wrong, then the grade must change. I really dislike this draft because it didn't focus enough on offensive line and defensive line with first day picks. Specifically, I felt we needed to grab at least one guard and a passrusher.

While it's obvious that we weren't going to be able to fix every hole on the team with one draft, I feel strongly that a team should put a focus on fixing the lines first and foremost even if that means waiting until next year to address the secondary. The idea is to build a team inside out because perimeter players and skill players are much more dependent on the lines for success than the other way around. The trenches are of primary importance.

The assumptions I've made are that the Bills' offensive line and pass rush suck. If I'm wrong, then the grade must go up. Here are the ways that the Bills might've had a very good draft:

(1) The starting offensive line is probably going to be Gandy-Reyes-Fowler-Villarial-Peters. Can they provide even adequate protection so that whichever one of our young QBs wins the starting nod, he can begin to develop his game in our offense? Can they runblock adequately so that our young skill players are not consistently facing third and long? If they can accomplish those things, then the draft haters will be wrong.

I have my doubts. I think the offensive line is going to struggle bigtime and we'll end up wasting one year of development of Nall/Losman, who will get battered around, and of Evans/Parrish/Davis/Euhus/Everett, who won't receive enough catches. I think we're going to end up signing a big name o-line free agent next year and also drafting another high in the 2007 draft, but 2006 will still be a wasted year in terms of the development of these players. The X-factors: it's still possible the Bills could trade Clements or other assets for linemen help before this season begins. It's also possible the Bills got complete steals with the late round o-linemen they drafted.

(2) The starting defensive line is probably going to be Kelsay-Trips-Anderson-Schobel with Denney, McCargo(3-tech), and Williams(1-tech) rotating in constantly. Can this line provide an adequate passrush so that our young secondary players like McGee, Whitner, King, and Youboty aren't taken advantage of again and again? Can they stop opponents from demoralizing us with third down conversion after third down conversion? Can Kelsay/Denney demonstrate adequacy in rushing the passer in this upfield system?

I again have my doubts. I think, first of all, teams are going to run on us with very good success, but that's to be expected with a young interior line like ours. If Trips, McCargo and Williams aren't busts, runstopping is something that should improve in coming seasons as THEY continue to improve. I'm more concerned about third downs. If Kelsay/Denney can't rush the passer, then we should've spent a day 1 pick on a passrusher since that is so important to this defense we're implementing. I think we will end up using a high pick on a passrusher next year, but that means we'll have wasted one year of development of a young passrusher by not having him in place this year.

(3) Finally, regardless of need and the idea of building teams inside-out, the Bills will have had a great draft if they ended up drafting four or five really good players. Forget not focusing on the lines enough. If Whitner, McCargo, Youboty, Simpson, and Williams all turn out to be good players, then it's an A+ draft because that's an excellent batting average. Typically, with your first five players drafted, you're probably looking at two good players, two average players, and a bust. If I had to guess right now, Whitner will be a star, Simpson will be very good and a steal in the fourth round, McCargo will be an underachiever, Youboty will be inconsistent and unreliable, and Williams will be completely average. But if they all turn out good...

So yes, the draft day grades are preliminary, and we'll wait to see how it all shakes out. I think that is fair.

lol, if all our top 4 picks become starters then yes its a A.

i cant imagin our D being good with out clements (who wasnt mentioned) and king as a starter.

it will be an A if both Whitner and McCargo eventually become probowl type players.

I agree that that this could be a great draft. The first picks were safe picks. Yes they both were taken too high, but they are good picks. Safe picks I would say.

Ashton and Ko are both steals, and nobody denies that.

Any draft with two solid picks ups and 2 steals... is a good draft that could become an A given time.

(2) The starting defensive line is probably going to be Kelsay-Trips-Anderson-Schobel with Denney, McCargo(3-tech), and Williams(1-tech) rotating in constantly.  Can this line provide an adequate passrush so that our young secondary players like McGee, Whitner, King, and Youboty aren't taken advantage of again and again?  Can they stop opponents from demoralizing us with third down conversion after third down conversion?  Can Kelsay/Denney demonstrate adequacy in rushing the passer in this upfield system?

I again have my doubts.  I think, first of all, teams are going to run on us with very good success, but that's to be expected with a young interior line.  If Trips, McCargo and Williams aren't busts, runstopping is something that will improve in upcoming seasons as THEY continue to improve.  I'm more concerned about third downs.  If Kelsay/Denney can't rush the passer, then we should've spent a day 1 pick on a passrusher since that is so important to this defense we're implementing.  I think we will end up using a high pick on a passrusher next year, but that means we'll have wasted one year of development of a young passrusher by not having him in place this year.

680084[/snapback]

One of the ways the pass rush might be improved is with Tripplet and McCargo playing 3rd downs as Jauron stated is likely. A strong interior pass rush can be just as effective as the exterior, if not more so by disrupting the pocket.

So...no longer the D- you espoused previously? :doh:

680112[/snapback]

No. That's still my grade, but it's preliminary and meaningless. What I'm saying is I hate this draft but I could be wrong. If Tutan Reyes can lock down LG and play well there, then a large part of my objection with this draft is gone, for example.

One of the ways the pass rush might be improved is with Tripplet and McCargo playing 3rd downs as Jauron stated is likely.  A strong interior pass rush can be just as effective as the exterior, if not more so by disrupting the pocket.

680123[/snapback]

That's true. I'm still very concerned that we only have one defensive end that is consistently effective rushing the passer.

No.  That's still my grade, but it's preliminary and meaningless.  What I'm saying is I hate this draft but I could be wrong.  If Tutan Reyes can lock down LG and play well there, then a large part of my objection with this draft is gone, for example.

680269[/snapback]

Ok.

Which is the point I've been raising, as well. But apparently that's bitching.

680283[/snapback]

It IS bitching. You and I are both annoying, let's not pretend otherwise. But there's validity to the idea that you build a team inside out so I don't feel like I'm a bad guy, just someone with a different opinion than the positive folks. BTW, stuckincincy, I actually gave it a D+, not a D-. It's not like I don't like Whitner, Simpson, Youboty, and McCargo as players. I just think, for example, Davin Joseph (after accepting the tradedown with Philly or Denver) and maybe Darryl Tapp would help protect our skill position players better.

EDIT: whoops, of course McCargo counts because he's on the line.

Express your joy about no drafting of Eric Winston.

:)

680315[/snapback]

That is the biggest reason why I'm not too upset with what happened this weekend. When I saw Buffalo was back on the clock at 26 during the commercial break, I said Oh NO :( Marv wants his Fina. :doh: I did not curse you, but the thought did cross my mind. :D Luckily, it was McCargo. I got scared again when Winston kept falling & the Bills 3rd rounder was coming up, but then Houston put me out of my misery. :P

Now, the Bills OL may still look like a disaster with only Peters appearing to be any kind of hope for the future, but at least we're not stuck with another puss OT who's not going away for the next 4-5 years.... and that makes me happy. ;)

*stumbles in wearing a Hawaiian shirt and a straw hat*

Hey guys, just got back from my 3-day vacation, how did the Bills draft go...did...they...whoa...

Why do I have the feeling I'm walking through the rubble of what USED to be The Wall?

Should I even asked how everyone reacted or can I just guess? I didnt have internet connection for 3 days and all I could think about watching the Draft was how The Wall must have imploded :doh:

Good to see everyone is still breathing.

Should I even asked how everyone reacted or can I just guess?  I didnt have internet connection for 3 days and all I could think about watching the Draft was how The Wall must have imploded  :P

680331[/snapback]

Here's the summary:

ESPN and the media all suck, they're never right about anything. :doh::)

It only applies when something that the Bills do gets panned, however slightly. :doh:

680341[/snapback]

Psshh, you'd figure we as Bills fans would have grown tougher skin by now.

And I'm sure its far too late to join the debate since its probably been done hundreds of times in the last 48 hours, but I love the Whitner pick (even at #8 where they got him). Dislike the McCargo pick tremendously. Really liked the rest of the draft from Round 3 onwards. Didnt go O-Line early like I thought but picked up some damn joygasmic players along the way.