Len P article on McCargo

nodnarb

To all the armchair draft experts who think the bills reached for mccargo just because Kiper (chuckle) figured him to go in the 3rd. Here's something to chew on.

http://www.buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?post_id=163

He isn't the most heralded defensive line prospect at North Carolina State, but tackle John McCargo, often overshadowed by the Wolfpack's heralded end tandem of Mario Williams and Manny Lawson, isn't quite an unknown, either, to NFL scouts.

McCargo's ascent up draft boards continued this week with a strong performance at the school's pro day workouts, and his audition certainly enhanced the chances that North Carolina State will have three defensive linemen selected in the first round next month. Williams, of course, is a sure bet, an edge player and upfield rusher regarded by many scouts as the premier defensive player in the draft. Lawson is also a pass-rush threat, an outside defender with great explosiveness and closing speed who might best project to linebacker in a 3-4 front.

John McCargo was an early-entry after playing three seasons at NC State.But the hard-working McCargo, who has fully recovered from a stress fracture in his left foot that sidelined him for five games in 2005, is definitely on the rise. Several scouts now list him as the third-best prospect at tackle, behind only Haloti Ngata of Oregon and Florida State's Brodrick Bunkley. And unlike those two, McCargo is more a one-gap player, capable of compressing the pocket from the inside.

"My game has always been about quickness," McCargo said shortly after a pro day workout in which he clocked a 4.94 in the 40. "I really didn't start playing football until the ninth grade and didn't get serious about it until around my junior year [in high school]. But I was a good baseball player and a pretty good basketball player, and some of the traits from those sports, like hand-eye coordination, things like that, kind of carried over onto the football field and helped me a lot."

Scouts agree that one of McCargo's strong suits is his effective use of his hands, often an oversight by young defenders. Watch him on tape, though, and McCargo's hand speed, and ability to get into a blocker's body, is nearly as impressive as his first step forward. That said, McCargo, an underclass prospect, still is very quick off the ball and keeps his feet moving nicely, even when engaged with an opponent.

At a shade under 6-foot-2 and 305 pounds, McCargo isn't as bulky as some of the other tackle prospects in the 2006 draft class. But several franchises, particularly those seeking a one-gap tackle, have now moved him ahead of players such as Michigan's Gabe Watson, Miami's Orien Harris and Texas' Rodrique Wright. Two general managers asked this week about McCargo had him graded in the lower third of the first round, and acknowledged his stock is rising.

"He's a little different than most of the other [tackles]," one general manager said. "Different in a good sort of way because, if you want the upfield guy and not just the run stuffer, there aren't many tackles like him in this year's draft."

An Academic All-American, and an avid but late-blooming student of the game who is now trying to make up for lost time, McCargo understands that Williams and Lawson, flashier players who merit attention by putting the quarterback on the ground, are going to garner most of the headlines. But he understands, too, that there is a place in the NFL for a guy like himself, a hard-working tackle who has made himself into a player and who will soon reap the rewards.

"It never bothered me that people talked so much about Mario and Manny because, I mean, those guys are incredible players," McCargo said. "Playing out on the edge, making big plays in space, you're naturally going to be drawn to those guys. But I was doing some good things, too, inside, and I think the scouts who have done their homework understand that."

To all the armchair draft experts who think the bills reached for mccargo just because Kiper (chuckle) figured him to go in the 3rd. Here's something to chew on.

676604[/snapback]

It's nice to see that BB.com has no issue with publishing subscriber material on their site for free.

Polian was on Sirius and FWIW said that he liked the Bills first two picks (of course, he's not really that unbiased).

He isn't the most heralded defensive line prospect at North Carolina State, but tackle John McCargo, often overshadowed by the Wolfpack's heralded end tandem of Mario Williams and Manny Lawson, isn't quite an unknown, either, to NFL scouts.

McCargo's ascent up draft boards continued this week with a strong performance at the school's pro day workouts, and his audition certainly enhanced the chances that North Carolina State will have three defensive linemen selected in the first round next month. Williams, of course, is a sure bet, an edge player and upfield rusher regarded by many scouts as the premier defensive player in the draft. Lawson is also a pass-rush threat, an outside defender with great explosiveness and closing speed who might best project to linebacker in a 3-4 front.

John McCargo was an early-entry after playing three seasons at NC State.But the hard-working McCargo, who has fully recovered from a stress fracture in his left foot that sidelined him for five games in 2005, is definitely on the rise. Several scouts now list him as the third-best prospect at tackle, behind only Haloti Ngata of Oregon and Florida State's Brodrick Bunkley. And unlike those two, McCargo is more a one-gap player, capable of compressing the pocket from the inside.

"My game has always been about quickness," McCargo said shortly after a pro day workout in which he clocked a 4.94 in the 40. "I really didn't start playing football until the ninth grade and didn't get serious about it until around my junior year [in high school]. But I was a good baseball player and a pretty good basketball player, and some of the traits from those sports, like hand-eye coordination, things like that, kind of carried over onto the football field and helped me a lot."

Scouts agree that one of McCargo's strong suits is his effective use of his hands, often an oversight by young defenders. Watch him on tape, though, and McCargo's hand speed, and ability to get into a blocker's body, is nearly as impressive as his first step forward. That said, McCargo, an underclass prospect, still is very quick off the ball and keeps his feet moving nicely, even when engaged with an opponent.

At a shade under 6-foot-2 and 305 pounds, McCargo isn't as bulky as some of the other tackle prospects in the 2006 draft class. But several franchises, particularly those seeking a one-gap tackle, have now moved him ahead of players such as Michigan's Gabe Watson, Miami's Orien Harris and Texas' Rodrique Wright. Two general managers asked this week about McCargo had him graded in the lower third of the first round, and acknowledged his stock is rising.

"He's a little different than most of the other [tackles]," one general manager said. "Different in a good sort of way because, if you want the upfield guy and not just the run stuffer, there aren't many tackles like him in this year's draft."

An Academic All-American, and an avid but late-blooming student of the game who is now trying to make up for lost time, McCargo understands that Williams and Lawson, flashier players who merit attention by putting the quarterback on the ground, are going to garner most of the headlines. But he understands, too, that there is a place in the NFL for a guy like himself, a hard-working tackle who has made himself into a player and who will soon reap the rewards.

"It never bothered me that people talked so much about Mario and Manny because, I mean, those guys are incredible players," McCargo said. "Playing out on the edge, making big plays in space, you're naturally going to be drawn to those guys. But I was doing some good things, too, inside, and I think the scouts who have done their homework understand that."

676604[/snapback]

Is this Marv? I swear, quoting a Pastabelly article to defend one's position is kind of like taking the low ground in a battle, don't you think?

Is this Marv? I swear, quoting a Pastabelly article to defend one's position is kind of like taking the low ground in a battle, don't you think?

676651[/snapback]

when the room is full of idiots who think that the opinions of kiper and clayton are valuable but those of tom modrak and dick jauron are not, well, you have to fire back with some ESPN opinion to counter.

So Marv takes the 3rd best when he could have had the best rated DT ? Yes, Marv really outsmarted them !

676674[/snapback]

I see that you haven't gotten any smarter in the last couple hours.

What part of this process don't you get? There is no universal "3rd Best DT". Teams have different grades on players all over the joint. Some teams had Justice as a first round pick and others had a 3rd round grade on him.

Bunkley had a great season but he only had *1* year of production...which makes him a bit of a risk...and he still fell several spots. So, according to the rest of the league, Bunkley was "a reach" at #8. And yet you don't get it.

I have some Dr. Seuss books that you can read when you're done here.

I see that you haven't gotten any smarter in the last couple hours.

What part of this process don't you get? There is no universal "3rd Best DT". Teams have different grades on players all over the joint. Some teams had Justice as a first round pick and others had a 3rd round grade on him.

Bunkley had a great season but he only had *1* year of production...which makes him a bit of a risk...and he still fell several spots. So, according to the rest of the league, Bunkley was "a reach" at #8. And yet you don't get it.

I have some Dr. Seuss books that you can read when you're done here.

676703[/snapback]

So your Opinion is superior to mine ? Since when and according to who ?

So your Opinion is superior to mine ? Since when and according to who ?

676711[/snapback]

Your opinion is that the Bills have had a joke of a draft. I think that opinion is a joke, for many reasons that I spelled out. I think I spoke pretty clearly and backed up my opinion. You, on the other hand, merely repeat yourself in what amounts to "suck suck suck". Show me one thoughtful post by you on this subject that isn't just "marv sucks" or "we reached because Kiper said so".

when the room is full of idiots who think that the opinions of kiper and clayton are valuable but those of tom modrak and dick jauron are not, well, you have to fire back with some ESPN opinion to counter.

676684[/snapback]

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. You're the only one who isn't an idiot.

For the record, trying muddy the waters by implying I think John Clayton and Mel Kiper are the second coming of Bill Polian, you got another thing coming.

We obviously have a GM that is risk averse and doesn't know the first thing about negotiating. Marv was quoted as saying he was afraid Donte would be gone by pick 13. Rule number one of negotiating: If you aren't in a position to walk away, you've lost, bottom line. Let's get us a GM that's not afraid, and we'll do better. BTW, I like the Youboty pick. It's the first 2 rounds (where all the pressure is) that I have a problem with.

Your opinion is that the Bills have had a joke of a draft. I think that opinion is a joke, for many reasons that I spelled out. I think I spoke pretty clearly and backed up my opinion. You, on the other hand, merely repeat yourself in what amounts to "suck suck suck". Show me one thoughtful post by you on this subject that isn't just "marv sucks" or "we reached because Kiper said so".

676717[/snapback]

I havn't seen your superior rebuttal yet ! Are you related too Marv or what ? If you ever introduce yourself to me at a Bills function be prepared for battle you inferior little bug.

Wait, didn't it say above that Polian LIKED the 1st 2 picks? :lol:

676730[/snapback]

Even if Polian liked out first two picks, that doesn't mean they weren't a stretch. Besides, what does Polian have to lose by putting in a good word for Marv? Who's to say Marv didn't call Polian to put in a good ord or three.

Even if Polian liked out first two picks, that doesn't mean they weren't a stretch. Besides, what does Polian have to lose by putting in a good word for Marv? Who's to say Marv didn't call Polian to put in a good ord or three.

Okay then, Polian MAY have had an agenda. Don't you think the "experts" have their OWN agenda? So who's right?

I havn't seen your superior rebuttal yet ! Are you related too Marv or what ? If you ever introduce yourself to me at a Bills function be prepared for battle you inferior little bug.

676726[/snapback]

"inferior little bug" ...lol...okaaay, whatever you say.

And Lenny P should be believed why?

Have you seen any of his big predictions over the years? He's one of the biggest loser analysts out there. He was all over Donahoe telling us all how great he would be.

Still high on Ps predictions?

And Lenny P should be believed why? 

Have you seen any of his big predictions over the years?  He's one of the biggest loser analysts out there.  He was all over Donahoe telling us all how great he would be. 

Still high on Ps predictions?

676995[/snapback]

Tell me where I said that I was 'high on Len's predictions.' I made it clear that with all the BS from people giving weight to Kiper's comment and Clayton's comment, I felt that a counter opinion from an ESPN head was due. I gather that reading comprehension isn't your strong suit...?