I love the way some try to put a postive spin

He's not a corner. He's a safety.

675182[/snapback]

Now you're really making some sense. Here are last year's starting safeties:

Troy Polumolouluoluo 5-10 212

Bob Sanders 5-8 206 (a giant!)

Roy Williams 6-0 226 (OK, he's bigger)

Darren Sharper 6-2 210

So Whitner is the same size as one, bigger than another, and yet he's "undersized." Keep talking: you're getting better and better.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Duh. Of course Thurman was a steal, and letting Odomes and Ballard go was right. But all those decisions were questioned. As the basis for questioning this draft, you selected three questionable decsions from the past, but ignored other questionable things that worked out. Be honest: you've been wrong on things like this before.

Whitner might have been a reach at #8, but he's not a real question mark. He's a solid 3-down baller who is fast (4.45) and a special teams' player. He is a leader with no baggage.

Who would you have taken that would have had more impact and had fewer questions?

675193[/snapback]

He is a solid 3-down baller. . . he better be at # 8. Also, I've read several scouting reports that list his speed at 4.50 - 4.53.

Drafting Bledsoe? huh?

Thurman Thomas wasnt the 8th pick in the draft and wasnt even drafted in the first round

Nate hurt himself outside of football and the Bills line has sucked since ballard left

Drafting Bledsoe???????

Lofton was a free agent pickup that cost the Bills nothing but money

Andre Reed was a 4th round pick

your arguments are completely off base and none have anything to do with the Bills taking Whitner at 8 today

675194[/snapback]

You made my point perfectly. Thanks for the hindsight analysis.

So is Mike Brown, who's 3/4 of an inch shorter and exactly the same weight.  Guess he sucks, too.

675190[/snapback]

You know, that's actually a good point you make.....let me add on to it:

The draft where the Bears took Mike Brown was the very draft we chose Travares Tillman. We had a legit need for safety, but we were forced to settle for Tillman because of a run at the position. If I think about whether I'd draft a Mike Brown earlier than expected, or settling for a Travares Tillman later on d/t a run at the position, I'd probably choose the former. I REALLY think we needed to go with a lineman in rd 1, and I still feel like I'm goign to vomit that we passed on Bunkley, but Im trying to see some of the positives here.

The other thing I like is that he's a cold weather player......and we've had very good luck with Ohio State DBs lately.

What the fug do YOU know? Do YOU know what's best for this new system? SOme of you people make such asses of yourselves, it's incredible. When Donte Whitner changes games for us, I'll remind you guys that you thought this was a "disaster"

He is a solid 3-down baller. . . he better be at # 8. Also, I've read several scouting reports that list his speed at 4.50 - 4.53.

Drafting Bledsoe? huh?

675211[/snapback]

His combine speed from ESPN lists him as 4.45. Either way, he's fast.

Ngata was picked 4 picks later and is widely believed to be a 2 down player. the Bills didn't need that.

What the fug do YOU know? Do YOU know what's best for this new system? SOme of you people make such asses of yourselves, it's incredible. When Donte Whitner changes games for us, I'll remind you guys that you thought this was a "disaster"

675220[/snapback]

Cool down, Brandon.

No matter what, I guarantee Donte Whitner will not be an out-and-out bust.  He was a playmaker at OSU and will at least become a good safety for us.  But, "good" will not justify this pick.  He needs to become an All-Pro in order to justfy a top 10 pick and salary and passing up a second rounder.

675141[/snapback]

We didn`t have a "GREAT" need for saftey like other teams did that picked first round safties. so why did they waste this pick on a guy who`s going to be 30yrds away from the ball on 50%of the plays, when we need run stoppers and pass rushers?Its a situation where Marv was trying to be so smart he out smarted himself, and we the fans have to suffer down the road with this horrific 1st rd. pick!!

675220[/snapback]

I hope he changes games for us. But as I said before, when you make an apparent reach, the odds are much higher that you've errored than hit a home run.

Nobody can see into the future, so it's possible we hit a home run with him. . . BUT from a statistical point of view, (i.e. what the odds are). . . we're basically pissing in the wind here.

We didn`t have a "GREAT" need for saftey like other teams did that picked first round safties. so why did they waste this pick on a guy who`s going to be 30yrds  away from the ball on 50%of the  plays, when we need run stoppers and pass rushers?Its a situation where Marv was trying to be so smart he out smarted himself, and we the fans have to suffer down the road with this horrific 1st rd. pick!!

675253[/snapback]

Perhaps Marv is looking at this as more than a one year job. I'd venture to guess that, barring injury, that our first round pick is a more productive NFL player for a far longer period than either Ngata or Bunkley.

Ngata looks lazy as hell to me, especially against quality competition. Bunkley is the wildcard, but his off field questions are serious.

Marv said 4.38 I believe...Maybe his Private Workout number?

675270[/snapback]

Hell, when you factor in Marv's reflexes on the stopwatch, the kid probably ran like a 4.2 ;)

We didn`t have a "GREAT" need for saftey like other teams did that picked first round safties. so why did they waste this pick on a guy who`s going to be 30yrds  away from the ball on 50%of the  plays, when we need run stoppers and pass rushers?Its a situation where Marv was trying to be so smart he out smarted himself, and we the fans have to suffer down the road with this horrific 1st rd. pick!!

675253[/snapback]

You're wrong. Great teams have strength up the middle, especially teams that play aggressive defenses like C2.

Look back at teams that dominated football. Each of them has elite safeties.

Each of them has elite safeties.

675282[/snapback]

How many had Div II D-lines?

This kid better be a good tackler, cause the way teams were runing up between the the DT's last year, he'll be getting a lot of opportunites.

I hope he changes games for us. But as I said before, when you make an apparent reach, the odds are much higher that you've errored  than hit a home run.

Nobody can see into the future, so it's possible we hit a home run with him. . . BUT from a statistical point of view, (i.e. what the odds are). . . we're basically pissing in the wind here.

675255[/snapback]

Yeah true, but what many legend in their own minds fan draft gurus fail to admit is that we are missing critical pieces of infomation which can make the difference between the close marginal choices of a player turning out to be a bust or a great pick. So much turns on how good the braintrust is in what I call looking a guy in the eye to judge whether he is gonna be Peyton Manning or Ryan Leaf (or Edgerrin James or a Rickey Williams) is the real key to making a good choice here.

Marv has a track record with his long term winning Bills teams of making good coices and managing these personalities well in the past. This is no gurantee whatsoever that he will make a good choice now, but it has earned him the benefit of the doubt IMHO (though I have tons of Whitner doubt).

The pick was weird, the reactions and handwringing are even funnier.

Answer me something...you like the pick of Vince Young by the Titans?

675278[/snapback]

I think Vince Young is the ultimate "high risk/ high reward" player. He has tremendous upside, but probably more of a chance to be a bust than Leinart and Cutler due to some of his mechanics.

Do I like the pick? Well, yes for the Titans. And just remember, they're in Tennessee. If their team stinks, the guys can just go back to making out with their cousins ;)

I think Vince Young is the ultimate "high risk/ high reward" player. He has tremendous upside, but probably more of a chance to be a bust than Leinart and Cutler due to some of his mechanics.

Do I like the pick? Well, yes for the Titans. And just remember, they're in Tennessee. If their team stinks, the guys can just go back to making out with their cousins :lol:

675300[/snapback]

Ok...so you like the pick for the Titans...but based on PAST history...Texas players have been flops....so why do you like this but do not like Donte Whitner, because of GW's overbloated interview and TD not taking John Fox?? ;):o:lol: