Bills-Rams trade in the works?

I saw today on one of the predraft shows, either ESPN or NFL network that the Rams are looking for their heir apparent to Marc Bulger and would be thrilled to end up with Jay Cutler in this draft.

Hopefully we can move down to 11 and and pick up an extra pick so the Rams can leap frog the Cards to get Cutler. I still think Bunkley would be there and we could pick up the extra pick.

What does everyone think?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Refer to some of my previous posts re. St Louis. Specifically, I have said that they are our ideal trading partner. Bottom line is that they are ahead of Baltimore and we cannot afford to trade down past Baltmore's pick at 13 since the Ravens have similar pressing needs as the Bills. Trading with the Rams would give the most bang for the buck...and we would probably still have our choice of need-specific players (i.e., Bunkley or Justice).

To trade with them, they would probably have to give up at least a 3rd round pick + a 6th round pick for the jump up to #8. Alternatively, we could do the swap of 1st round picks, throw in our 2nd pick in the 3rd round, and then ask for their 2nd round pick in return.

To trade with them, they would probably have to give up at least a 3rd round pick + a 6th round pick for the jump up to #8.  Alternatively, we could do the swap of 1st round picks, throw in our 2nd pick in the 3rd round, and then ask for their 2nd round pick in return.

671069[/snapback]

Or we could simply get a 2nd for moving 3 spots.

Look at how we got hit over the head for RJ and JP. The price goes up when qbs are involved. Screw the "chart." :P

Comp sounds about right, but I would like to see some creative dealing from Marv. Especially after getting a lousy 5th for Moulds.

How about getting STLs 2nd, and kicking back our 4th or 5th? It would be nice to hang onto both 3rd and get the 2nd. With the 2 3rds Im just not 'feelin' the third one.

Look at how we got hit over the head for RJ and JP. The price goes up when qbs are involved. Screw the "chart."  :P

671080[/snapback]

We overpaid for RJ, but the price went up with the other teams competing for him. With JP the deal was about right on. You always lose value trading future picks (ie, a 2nd is worth a 1st next year.) If everyone can just hold on for a couple years, JP may look like the steal - for us.

Look at how we got hit over the head for RJ and JP. The price goes up when qbs are involved. Screw the "chart."  :P

671080[/snapback]

Right you are..if they have the hots for him, they'll have to pony up or take their chances. The Bills would hold all the cards.

We overpaid for RJ, but the price went up with the other teams competing for him.  With JP the deal was about right on.  You always lose value trading future picks (ie, a 2nd is worth a 1st next year.)  If everyone can just hold on for a couple years, JP may look like the steal - for us.

671095[/snapback]

We could talk all day about this. :lol:

RJ's value was pushed up mostly due to ONE great game. The thing is, I happened to see that game, and he was throwing friggin darts. :lol: I readily admit that I thought he was going to be very good. :P Yet, the Scouts/GMs were right about him. I saw him play a few games in college and remember being stunned that he lasted so long in the draft. He had 10x more talent than Todd Collins, who went far earlier.

Anyway, he is a great example of what teams will give up for a qb.

As for JP, maybe my view of this trade is clouded by the fact that I hated it from day 1. Sadly, nothing so far has caused me to change my mind. I hope that he turns out to be good, because if he does not, TD truly will have set the franchise back considerably with this ill advised trade.

671080[/snapback]

Exactly, on draft day, the chart gets tossed out the door, it is only something used by talking heads to create their trade possibilities or what would be fair trades. On draft day, Teams will always overpay to move up because the values go up higher due to a team wanting to move up for someone. if Stl called Marv on Saturday and said we want to make a trade for your #1, Mav isn't going to pull out the chart and see what would be a fair trade, they are going to try to get the most that Stl is willing to trade for cause if they want that player bad enough, they will pay for it. Draft day is a sellers market, not a buyers market

ESPN has this up on their NFL Main Page (in the Draft Buzz section if you scroll down a bit)

With the Rams possibly interested in moving up to grab Jay Cutler and the Bills willing to move down, a deal could be in the works, writes Todd McShay

So adding more fuel to the fire there...Its an ESPN Insider article so you have to whore yourself off to ESPN to get permission to read it.

I saw today on one of the predraft shows, either ESPN or NFL network that the Rams are looking for their heir apparent to Marc Bulger and would be thrilled to end up with Jay Cutler in this draft.

671050[/snapback]

Marc Bulger just turned 29. I don't think I trust this rumor.

The McShay article is pretty interesting if true. http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/ins...todd&id=2422731

I'll provide some exerpts

"Bills coach Dick Jauron is reportedly eager to trade up for the two players he covets most from this year's class -- Virginia OT D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Ohio State OLB A.J. Hawk. Unfortunately, general manager Marv Levy does not feel it is prudent to mortgage a second-round pick to move up for Ferguson or Hawk. Although Levy isn't necessarily sold on the idea of moving at all, he is far more receptive to trading down.

Buffalo isn't as wild about the top two defensive tackle prospects -- Haloti Ngata (Oregon) and Brodrick Bunkley (Florida State) -- as most are led to believe. A source tells me Levy prefers Ngata because of concerns regarding Bunkley's character and ability to adjust to cold winters in Buffalo. The coaching staff, on the other hand, covets Bunkley because he's a far better fit in the new one-gap penetrating scheme. "

"The reason trading down has become so much more attractive for the Bills is because they're beginning to realize they can get a similar value in the low teens as with the eighth pick. Should they make a deal to move down a few spots to pick No. 11, Huff likely would be gone but Ngata or Bunkley should still be on the board.

The Eagles, who hold the 14th overall selection, also have contacted the Bills for a potential trade. The Bills likely would lose out on both defensive tackle prospects, but they have some other prospects (OLB Ernie Sims, OT Winston Justice and DC Jimmy Williams) -- targeted in that range, as well. "

The Eagles, who hold the 14th overall selection, also have contacted the Bills for a potential trade. The Bills likely would lose out on both defensive tackle prospects, but they have some other prospects (OLB Ernie Sims, OT Winston Justice and DC Jimmy Williams) -- targeted in that range, as well. "

671373[/snapback]

Hmmmm...so Marv doesnt like Bunkley because he's concerned he cant adjust to the Buffalo winters, but he's okay with Ernie Sims who was born, raised and played high school and college football in the state of Florida?

Dont get me wrong, I'm glad Marv isnt big on Bunkley because I'm not drinking the FSU Kool-Aid either...just seems like an odd little quirk for Marv to have.

I've been saying this is a possiblity for a long time....hope it happens, we'll easily be able to land one of the following....Bunkley, Justice, or Ngata at eleven. Wonder what kind of compensation this trade would bring? I would think another third but I wonder what the draft value charts say.

I've been saying this is a possiblity for a long time....hope it happens, we'll easily be able to land one of the following....Bunkley, Justice, or Ngata at eleven.  Wonder what kind of compensation this trade would bring?  I would think another third but I wonder what the draft value charts say.

Late 3rd, although if the Rams REALLY want Cutler, they'll pay the premium and give-up their 13th pick in the 3rd round.

We could talk all day about this.  :lol:

RJ's value was pushed up mostly due to ONE great game. The thing is, I happened to see that game, and he was throwing friggin darts.  :P  I readily admit that I thought he was going to be very good.  :D  Yet, the Scouts/GMs were right about him. I saw him play a few games in college and remember being stunned that he lasted so long in the draft. He had 10x more talent than Todd Collins, who went far earlier.

Anyway, he is a great example of what teams will give up for a qb.

As for JP, maybe my view of this trade is clouded by the fact that I hated it from day 1. Sadly, nothing so far has caused me to change my mind. I hope that he turns out to be good, because if he does not, TD truly will have set the franchise back considerably with this ill advised trade.

671119[/snapback]

bill - just being hypothetical here. if you truly think losman sucks, how could possibly be opposed to taking a qb high? like it or not, qb is by far and away the most important position on the team.