Rating Teams' Drafts Over the Past 5 yrs

ajzepp

Very interesting information from this is the amount of worst DT picks listed and at high positions:

WORST PICK: DT Wendell Bryant, 1st round, No. 12 (2002)

WORST PICK: DT Johnathan Sullivan, 1st round, No. 6 (2003)

WORST PICK: DT Ryan Sims, 1st round, No. 6 (2002)

WORST PICK: DT Gerard Warren, 1st round, No. 3 (2001)

Seems that DT picked high lately have not turned out good at all. This is one reason why I would love to see the Bills NOT take a DT with the 8th pick.

Very interesting information from this is the amount of worst DT picks listed and at high positions:

WORST PICK: DT Wendell Bryant, 1st round, No. 12 (2002)

WORST PICK: DT Johnathan Sullivan, 1st round, No. 6 (2003)

WORST PICK: DT Ryan Sims, 1st round, No. 6 (2002)

WORST PICK: DT Gerard Warren, 1st round, No. 3 (2001)

Seems that DT picked high lately have not turned out good at all.  This is one reason why I would love to see the Bills NOT take a DT with the 8th pick.

670735[/snapback]

Yeah, I found that interesting too.....I also thought it was borderline shocking that we haven't taken more DTs in the first round....I forget where I read it - may have been in one of the articles on the front page of TBD - but I think it said we've only taken ONE DT EVER in first round. That shocked me, but when I went back and thought about it, it's true.

I can't wait til Saturday....this should be an interesting draft.

Yeah, I found that interesting too.....I also thought it was borderline shocking that we haven't taken more DTs in the first round....I forget where I read it - may have been in one of the articles on the front page of TBD - but I think it said we've only taken ONE DT EVER in first round. That shocked me, but when I went back and thought about it, it's true.

670741[/snapback]

Okey Dokes ;) would make anyone wait 30 years before going DT in the 1st again.

Though this is even scarier IMO:

WORST PICK: T Mike Williams, 1st round, No. 4 (2002).

OL grunts just aren't worth BIG $$$,

wait until the 2nd or 3rd. :P

Thanks! - that was interesting reading.

670747[/snapback]

Yeah, I give the guy credit for that article....I felt it was a much more fair assessment than just focusing on the Mike Williams issue or some other single facet of what's happened over the past five years. Obviously it doesn't paint TD as having done a great job, but it also shows he didn't screw the franchise either. I think it's also important to note that he takes into account how the teams have performed over the past five years, too....I think it's important to factor that in.

Okey Dokes  ;) would make anyone wait 30 years before going DT in the 1st again.

Though this is even scarier IMO:

WORST PICK: T Mike Williams, 1st round, No. 4 (2002).

OL grunts just aren't worth BIG $$$,

wait until the 2nd or 3rd. :o

670755[/snapback]

I'm almost positve that's what JJ's philosophy is too....I may have the quote attributed to the wrong coach, but I think it was JJ who said he doesn't believe in taking OL in the first round. Then again, he's the guy who drafted John Avery in the first round too, so it's hard to give him too much credit for his drafting expertise - at least when he doesn't have Herschel Walker for trade bait :P

I can't wait til Saturday....this should be an interesting draft.

670741[/snapback]

Correct. Phil Dokes in 1977.

Interesting reading. I'd say some of the numbers are inflated. Take the fact there were 28 TD draft choices on the team at the end of the 2005 season. That may seem like success, until you consider the fact he got rid of all the Butler players not named Moulds. Because TD turned the Bills into an expansion team, it was easier for his picks to make the roster. Also, I only counted eight starters TD drafted, not the nine they said. (Schobel, Edwards, Kelsay, McGee, Clements, Losman, McGahee, Evans.) Of those eight, only five are proven starters.

Interesting reading.  I'd say some of the numbers are inflated. 

670959[/snapback]

Now THERE'S a surprise....didn't see that comin'!! :P

Uh-huh...the Browns are right where I figured them.

32nd out of 32.  :P

Mike

670981[/snapback]

Yeah, they've had some rough luck with their higher picks.....what's up with Winslow? Is he damaged goods now? Expected to make a comeback? I still think Braylon Edwards will be a stud in this league. I think he'll have a Moulds-like break out year.

The Bills deserve more credit for getting McGahee from a pick they got trading Peerless who is currently back on the team.  So... we got McGahee for free!!

670974[/snapback]

Sure, but we passed on Steinbach (who many thought we would select) and had to wait more than 20 games for him to take the field.

I am a fan of Willis, but let's not go TOO crazy over the pick just yet.

Wha??  Did that go over my head?  lol

671082[/snapback]

Well, I’m a standing on a corner

In winslow, arizona

And such a fine sight to see

It’s a girl, my lord, in a flatbed

Ford slowin’ down to take a look at me

Come on, baby, don’t say maybe

I gotta know if your sweet love is

Gonna save me

Does this help? :P

Well, I’m a standing on a corner

In winslow, arizona

And such a fine sight to see

It’s a girl, my lord, in a flatbed

Ford slowin’ down to take a look at me

Come on, baby, don’t say maybe

I gotta know if your sweet love is

Gonna save me

Does this help?  :P

671088[/snapback]

Yes, it does.....but now I can't get it out of my head lol

Yeah, they've had some rough luck with their higher picks.....what's up with Winslow? Is he damaged goods now? Expected to make a comeback?  I still think Braylon Edwards will be a stud in this league. I think he'll have a Moulds-like break out year.

670985[/snapback]

Winslow reworked his contract and gave the Browns one more year tacked on to the end of the deal. He is expected to play this year...perhaps in October, due to the fact that he had a career-threatening staph infection after the bike accident.

Reports are that he and Charlie Frye have become friends, and that KW has been quite humbled by what happened last May. He knows he has to prove himself.

As for Braylon, I expect him back about midseason. He suffered the same type of injury KW did...in fact, they have been rehabbing together and challenging each other. It wouldn't surprise me if there's a bet riding on who comes back first.

Mike