We have a ton of speed at WR

Peter

I was never a big PP fan, but we certainly have a ton of speed at WR. Between LE, PP, RP, and AD, we are going to be difficult to cover IF the QB can get them the ball and our line does its job.

I may regret saying it, but we have some big play potential.

658554[/snapback]

Wow, 45 mins gone & you are still safe.

Don't come out of your bunker just yet, I'm sure the bombardment of negativity will be here soon. :lol:

The speed will look real good to the QB's while they are on their back because the Bills have no one on the offensive line.  :P

658637[/snapback]

This might be the year they fix that, or it could be year 13 of my blind faith in their ability to do so.

This might be the year they fix that, or it could be year 13 of my blind faith in their ability to do so.

658641[/snapback]

Has it really been that long since they had a good O-line? I never thought I would miss John Fina. Compared to what we have now? He was a Hall of Famer.

Has it really been that long since they had a good O-line? I never thought I would miss John Fina. Compared to what we have now? He was a Hall of Famer.

658643[/snapback]

Not quite. For the last few years, he was as bad as one could imagine. He was a small, "finesse" type LT with no finesse.

The last strong LT we had was Will Wolford. CV was bad last year, but was good in 2004. Before this, I literally cannot remember the Bills fielding a RG who wasn't painfully bad. Also, have we had a decent OC since Hull?

We have played both "smashmouth" (Mularkey) and "run and shoot" (Gilbride) with no blocking, this in a cold weather stadium.

I know, let's grab a safety in round 1!!!

Not quite. For the last few years, he was as bad as one could imagine. He was a small, "finesse" type LT with no finesse.

The last strong LT we had was Will Wolford. CV was bad last year, but was good in 2004. Before this, I literally cannot remember the Bills fielding a RG who wasn't painfully bad. Also, have we had a decent OC since Hull?

We have played both "smashmouth" (Mularkey) and "run and shoot" (Gilbride) with no blocking, this in a cold weather stadium.

I know, let's grab a safety in round 1!!!

658648[/snapback]

I'm all for getting the most out of this draft that we can. If that means trading down and getting a good OL and a good DL w/ the first couple of picks, I'm okay w/ that. If it means getting a DB first and getting a good OL in the 2nd and another w/ one of our 3rds, I could live w/ that as well. It's not just about the first round for me, as I sure hope it's not for the Bills.

If it means getting a DB first and getting a good OL in the 2nd and another w/ one of our 3rds, I could live w/ that as well. 

658652[/snapback]

Knowing that while disagreeing with you that I am more likely to be wrong than correct, I am still going to go out on a limb here and respectfully do so.

I for one would rather that the Bills acquire a vert good DT or OL than a great safety, and although Huff has good reviews, I do remember YOU being a whole lot more excited about Sean Taylor when he was coming out.

What will a guy like MaGahee think on the 29th when we usher in a db, and pay him the big bucks? Count me as one who still believes that MaGahee can be a premier NFL back if (perish the thought) he had people to block for him. Just like you, I want to see Willis with a 5-10 yard head of steam, as difficult as this is to imagine, but I am off topic. :P

If we are to once again run away from the most vital elements of football in round 1, perhaps I could see my way to drafting Hawk if he falls, ONLY because of the uncertainty wrt TKO, a true playmaker.

If YOU tell me that you think Huff has Ronnie Lott skills and a Frank Reich personality, then perhaps a safety would be OK. :lol:

Disagree away, William. I'm nobody special that you have to agree w/ what I say, that's for sure.

You know how long I've preached about upgrading the OL, so that's not the issue. I'm only saying I think we can get that upgrade even if we use a 2nd or a 3rd...or both. When it comes to the OL, there's only 1 guy I'd take 8th, and he's not going to be there (Ferguson). After that, I'd consider Justice in a trade down scenario, but I really don't think he'll be there by trading down, especially after his pro day workout. There are some really good prospects in this draft that will be there after the first round, not only @ OT, but also, and perhaps more importantly, in the interior of the OL.

Disagree away, William.  I'm nobody special that you have to agree w/ what I say, that's for sure.

You know how long I've preached about upgrading the OL, so that's not the issue.  I'm only saying I think we can get that upgrade even if we use a 2nd or a 3rd...or both.  When it comes to the OL, there's only 1 guy I'd take 8th, and he's not going to be there (Ferguson).  After that, I'd consider Justice in a trade down scenario, but I really don't think he'll be there by trading down, especially after his pro day workout.  There are some really good prospects in this draft that will be there after the first round, not only @ OT, but also, and perhaps more importantly, in the interior of the OL.

658681[/snapback]

How do you liken Huff to Sean Taylor in terms of skills?

I was never a big PP fan, but we certainly have a ton of speed at WR. Between LE, PP, RP, and AD, we are going to be difficult to cover IF the QB can get them the ball and our line does its job.

658554[/snapback]

I am totally underwhelmed with our moves at WR. I hope they work out, but I just don't see it. We've signed 3 WR's to sizeable contracts. Reed can't catch the ball. Davis has been hurt and has never been a stellar performer and PP was out of football the 2nd half of last year and hasn't performed well since he left Buffalo. And we sign them all to $2mm+/yr??? (Davis' may have been less, I can't remember what his contract was for.) Maybe the competion will bring out the best in one of them. None of this will matter much if we don't build up a line that'll give our QB time to throw the ball.

Ball skills?  He may be a bit better than Taylor.  Run support?  Taylor has the edge, because he's a better tackler and is a fierce hitter as well.

658686[/snapback]

I would take Taylor over Huff. But Taylors attitude and horrible off the field character issues. He needs to get his sh-- strait.

I am satisfied with our moves in WR this ofseason. With the 5 number 2 recievers we should hope for one to develop into a number one before too long. We needed PP after letting moulds go and Davis i think could be very good for us. We now have one area more or less covered.

Our QB situation is being handled as we now have 3 backup QBs. Again we are hoping for one to develop into a number one before too long.

We signed another backup player in Matt Bowen. We still dont have the Satey position covered and we need at least a decent starter in there since the guys we have are escentially backups.

The Line remains awful but is being adressed and following draft day we should at least have a few decent to great lineman that will help with that problem.

After all the moves, the bills are looking like they could be the sleeper team who suprises everybody despite lacking the big names.

Then again we could be the team who puts together a mediocre record because of the lack of big time players.

We'll see.

we do have a lot of speed. i hope we can streach the field. evans and price can both fly, which will leave parrish and reed underneath. all they need is a QB who can throw the deep ball well.

can JP do that? we will see.

but the problem with both evans and price is that they cant consistantly beat double coverage. they can beat single coverage, but not double. so with both on the field, i see defense using more of a cover 2, and leaving the underneath and middle of the field open. it will also force the safeties to drop back a bit, keeping them from standing on the line to stop McGahee.