Why the Church discounts scientists

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/science/04/04...reut/index.html

Because they go a little too far sometimes.  Yeah a stong gust of wind parted the Red Sea, and an Ice Floe just happened to be on the Sea of Galalea. 

What next?  The Ark was built on the edge of a river just before it flooded?

652697[/snapback]

Yeah, it makes way more sense to believe that some guy magically commanded the ocean waters to do his bidding!

Or that some other guy magically strolled across the sea's surface!

Or that some other guy hand-built a boat so big that he was able to fit every species of animal in the world on board(except for the NorthAmerican strains as God didn't know it existed yet).

Those scientists sure look ridiculous by comparison. :angry:

Yeah, it makes way more sense to believe that some guy magically commanded the ocean waters to do his bidding!

Or that some other guy hand-built a boat so big that he was able to fit every species of animal in the world on board(except for the NorthAmerican strains as God didn't know it existed yet).

Those scientists sure look ridiculous by comparison.  :angry:

652716[/snapback]

Except he wasn't a "guy".

Those scientists sure look ridiculous by comparison.  :angry:

652716[/snapback]

:w00t:

God forbid (literally) trying to think logically.

When he offered his theory 14 years ago that wind and sea conditions could explain the parting of the Red Sea, Nof said he received some hate mail, even though he noted that the idea could support the biblical description of the event.

And as his theory of Jesus' walk on ice began to circulate, he had more hate mail in his e-mail inbox.

How very christian of them. History is loaded with a hell of a lot more persecution of scientists at the hands of the Church (any church, for that matter) than the Church has suffered at the hands of scientists. I don't see how a scientific interpretation of a biblical event could shake or threaten someone's faith enough to inspire hate mail, or in the past, execution.

How very christian of them.  History is loaded with a hell of a lot more persecution of scientists at the hands of the Church (any church, for that matter) than the Church has suffered at the hands of scientists.  I don't see how a scientific interpretation of a biblical event could shake or threaten someone's faith enough to inspire hate mail, or in the past, execution.

652804[/snapback]

And how is his fantasy of maybe there was a super wind gust that blew the Red Sea apart for several hours/days so thousand could cross and then just happened to close just when the Egyptians came, any less of a BS story? That isn't science, that's malice to someone elses belief. Or maybe, just maybe there was possibility of one in a trillion that there was an ice storm 2000 years ago, that I may or may not have scientfic evidence to support, but anyway to possibly discount the stories in the Bible, as long as I bring doubt. That to me isn't science, but more a work of fantasy then the Bible.

Because they go a little too far sometimes.  Yeah a stong gust of wind parted the Red Sea, and an Ice Floe just happened to be on the Sea of Galalea. 

652697[/snapback]

What are these scientists thinking! Don't they realize these occurences have already been totaly explained? It was a miracle...Some guy wrote about it! There is a reason religion is called a faith, because you are not supposed to question it's validity, just believe what you are told or go to hell. You will never convince a truly religious person that their religion is incorrect, and you will never convince an Atheist that religion is correct.

How very christian of them.  History is loaded with a hell of a lot more persecution of scientists at the hands of the Church (any church, for that matter) than the Church has suffered at the hands of scientists.  I don't see how a scientific interpretation of a biblical event could shake or threaten someone's faith enough to inspire hate mail, or in the past, execution.

652804[/snapback]

At least to me the point is that both religion and science purport to be the search for truth. Clearly the methods of search differ, but that does or should not negate either.

Obviously organized religion throughout history has been threatened by science and this feeling is usually unjustified. I hesitate to say always unjustified but let's peg it at upwards of 98% of the time.

The search for spiritual truth, although possibly involving an organized religion, is truly individual. Anyone truly searching would not be threatened by science. IMO, someone whose religious beliefs are threatened by science needs to re-examine their religious beliefs. It is always healthy to re-examie ones beliefs.

Similarly, scientists should not be threatened by religion. Science offers literally trillions of topics to be researched. Do you find this guy's choice of topics at all curious?

And how is his fantasy of maybe there was a super wind gust that blew the Red Sea apart for several hours/days so thousand could cross and then just happened to close just when the Egyptians came, any less of a BS story?  That isn't science, that's malice to someone elses belief.  Or maybe, just maybe there was  possibility of one in a trillion that there was an ice storm 2000 years ago, that I may or may not have scientfic evidence to support, but anyway to possibly discount the stories in the Bible, as long as I bring doubt.  That to me isn't science, but more a work of fantasy then the Bible.

652822[/snapback]

If the guy's research is garbage, then he will be summarily judged by the scientific community as a quack. And if he is judged to be a quack, then religion shouldn't feel compelled to issue hate mail. Or you could just execute him for being a heretic, like they did in the good old days.

If the guy's research is garbage, then he will be summarily judged by the scientific community as a quack.  And if he is judged to be a quack, then religion shouldn't feel compelled to issue hate mail.  Or you could just execute him for being a heretic, like they did in the good old days.

652844[/snapback]

Ah, the good ol' days. Nothing a few minutes in the rack won't cure. Earth is round, eh? Maybe you think that way because your arms are too short, to the rack! The Earth is not the center of the universe? - Hmm, maybe you need to see your intestines!

Similarly, scientists should not be threatened by religion.  Science offers literally trillions of topics to be researched.  Do you find this guy's choice of topics at all curious?

652835[/snapback]

The article states that he's an oceangrapher studying paleolimnology. I doubt the primary purpose of his reasearch is to disprove biblical miracles. I'll look up what else he's published later if I have time. It's probably just the musings of a scientific mind.

"We" commited such atrocities centuries ago.

But nice try.

BTW...there are religions doing such things right now. But dont want to rank on THEM, though. Ya know...for the sake of "diversity" and all. Gotta keep the "hate" where it belongs...on those terrible white, heterosexual Christian folks!

"We" commited such atrocities centuries ago.

But nice try.

BTW...there are religions doing  such things right now. But dont want to rank on THEM, though. Ya know...for the sake of "diversity" and all.  Gotta keep the "hate" where it belongs...on those terrible white, heterosexual Christian folks!

652919[/snapback]

You left out soliciting underage girls.

652697[/snapback]

Wait, I thought Tom Cruise did all this? :angry: