The people shout, "Give us the good news, Moses"

so he says, "The good news is I got him down to 10"

The people shout, "So what's the bad news?"

Moses says, "Adultery is still on the list."

653276[/snapback]

Oy, there goes the Toga party's :rolleyes:

Oy, there goes the Toga party's :rolleyes:

653279[/snapback]

There's a Toga? Just for today I think we could start a little Dionysian cult worship ...

Let's see, need wine, sheets, vestle virgins, goat, clamps, marble baths, and we need to work on this M/F ratio...

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/science/04/04...reut/index.html

Because they go a little too far sometimes.  Yeah a stong gust of wind parted the Red Sea, and an Ice Floe just happened to be on the Sea of Galalea. 

What next?  The Ark was built on the edge of a river just before it flooded?

652697[/snapback]

The aversion to real science and discovery is why I discount the church! Science and christianity are not mutually exclusive, as some fundimentalist loonies would have you think.

Right now as I speak the north winds are howling and pushing the waters of Lake Michigan into the Calumet river (our upper pool) south... This elevation has risen 2-3' over the course of the day and night... These levels will subside when the wind dies down.

Now onto the thread topic.

At the time of Moses, the Lord did it... Here is the exact passage (from the link below)

"And the children of Israel went out from Egypt and Pharaoh took six hundred chariots and pursued after them and overtook them encamping by the sea. And the children of Israel were sore afraid and cried out unto the Lord, and the Lord caused the sea to go back by a strong east wind all that night and made the sea dry land. And the children of Israel went into the midst of the sea upon the dry ground and the Egyptians pursued and went after them to the midst of the sea. And the Lord took off their chariot wheels, and Moses stretched forth his hand and the waters returned and covered the chariots. Thus the Lord saved Israel that day." (excerpts from Exodus chapter 14, King James version - KJV )

Read it... It just didn't happen like Cecil B. DeMille portrays it. :(:lol:

Just from a casual observance, the Red Sea thing sounds plausable... Maybe Moses had some cognitive weather predicting power and judged an approaching low pressure system or something???

I mentioned it before about the effects of slosh or seiche.

Not really knowing the Red Sea... But the area around the Sinai penninsula is elongated... Not sure what kind of sounding data can be found there too... Is it shallow?

Example... Lake Erie is prone to it with water piling up in the eastern basin (Buffalo) and water being being pushed away from the western basin (Toledo)... The Toledo end can get so low that vessels get stuck high and dry around the Maumee River... When I would survey out into the lake around Toledo, our gages would update every minute via wireless link... It would take too long to get into shore to read them manually... By the time you did that, gage readings could be vastly off by the feet.

A lot could have been embellished through religion also explaining the phenom.

Then again... This happened so long ago.

Just look what the earthquake (caused the tsumani, in 2004) did to the straits in and around Singapore... Some areas went from 3,500 feet deep to 95!

Here is a first hit off Google:

This is a revised and updated version of the 2-hour documentary prepared and narrated by Edward Furlong (EF) and broadcast by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) in the Ideas series, in prime time on its national network, subsequently sold by CBC to and broadcast by the Public Broadcasting System (PBS) in the United States.

The Red Sea Crossing by EF sets forth his view that there was a real incident and his theory as to what actually happened at the so-called crossing by the Israelites. This involves establishing a translation error in the number of Israelites involved; noting problems with the various routes suggested for the Exodus; where the event probably took place and why there and nowhere else; when the event took place; the likely water levels of lakes and seas in the area at that time; a side glance at the quarrels between various academics in journal articles as to possible Crossing scenarios; and the problems created by a text apparently composed of various strands and at different times with varying credibility.

The suggested solution to the problem is arrived at because there is specific wording in the Biblical text which has not been taken into account by previous proponents of various Crossing theories but which sets the stage for a marine phenomenon that has been well documented and studied in our own time. Further, in the Sinai area, which is where the book of Exodus indicates the event took place, in EF's view there is only one place where natural events could have combined to permit the Crossing to have been possible.

This still leaves open the question as to whether Someone foresaw the circumstances and guided the Israelites to the right place at the right time.

Red Sea Crossing

Right now as I speak the north winds are howling and pushing the waters of Lake Michigan into the Calumet river (our upper pool) south... This elevation has risen 2-3' over the course of the day and night... These levels will subside when the wind dies down.

Now onto the thread topic.

At the time of Moses, the Lord did it... Here is the exact passage (from the link below)

"And the children of Israel went out from Egypt and Pharaoh took six hundred chariots and pursued after them and overtook them encamping by the sea. And the children of Israel were sore afraid and cried out unto the Lord, and the Lord caused the sea to go back by a strong east wind all that night and made the sea dry land. And the children of Israel went into the midst of the sea upon the dry ground and the Egyptians pursued and went after them to the midst of the sea. And the Lord took off their chariot wheels, and Moses stretched forth his hand and the waters returned and covered the chariots. Thus the Lord saved Israel that day." (excerpts from Exodus chapter 14, King James version - KJV )

Read it... It just didn't happen like Cecil B. DeMille portrays it. :(  :lol: 

Just from a casual observance, the Red Sea thing sounds plausable... Maybe Moses had some cognitive weather predicting power and judged an approaching low pressure system or something???

I mentioned it before about the effects of slosh or seiche.

Not really knowing the Red Sea... But the area around the Sinai penninsula is elongated... Not sure what kind of sounding data can be found there too... Is it shallow?

Example... Lake Erie is prone to it with water piling up in the eastern basin (Buffalo) and water being being pushed away from the western basin (Toledo)... The Toledo end can get so low that vessels get stuck high and dry around the Maumee River... When I would survey out into the lake around Toledo, our gages would update every minute via wireless link... It would take too long to get into shore to read them manually... By the time you did that, gage readings could be vastly off by the feet.

A lot could have been embellished through religion also explaining the phenom.

Then again... This happened so long ago.

Just look what the earthquake (caused the tsumani, in 2004) did to the straits in and around Singapore... Some areas went from 3,500 feet deep to 95!

Here is a first hit off Google:

This is a revised and updated version of the 2-hour documentary prepared and narrated by Edward Furlong (EF) and broadcast by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) in the Ideas series, in prime time on its national network, subsequently sold by CBC to and broadcast by the Public Broadcasting System (PBS) in the United States.

The Red Sea Crossing by EF sets forth his view that there was a real incident and his theory as to what actually happened at the so-called crossing by the Israelites. This involves establishing a translation error in the number of Israelites involved; noting problems with the various routes suggested for the Exodus; where the event probably took place and why there and nowhere else; when the event took place; the likely water levels of lakes and seas in the area at that time; a side glance at the quarrels between various academics in journal articles as to possible Crossing scenarios; and the problems created by a text apparently composed of various strands and at different times with varying credibility.

The suggested solution to the problem is arrived at because there is specific wording in the Biblical text which has not been taken into account by previous proponents of various Crossing theories but which sets the stage for a marine phenomenon that has been well documented and studied in our own time. Further, in the Sinai area, which is where the book of Exodus indicates the event took place, in EF's view there is only one place where natural events could have combined to permit the Crossing to have been possible.

This still leaves open the question as to whether Someone foresaw the circumstances and guided the Israelites to the right place at the right time.

Red Sea Crossing

656252[/snapback]

God said u r dumb

Assuming the walking on ice thing could be true. What does that say about the apostles, being duped like that? Also, Does that mean Gretzky is part of the Holy Trinity?

653085[/snapback]

God's Wife is a gambler? :(

I wonder what God would say to the "truly smart"...

656281[/snapback]

According to VA, "4 x 4 = 56."

Newsflash! The Bible is history put through a synthesizer of parable, and with a background beat of moralists and political leaders claiming divine right to justify their words or actions.

Discussing these things is a lot like a discussion of whether Huck Finn floated down the Mississippi in a wood or a metal raft.

• 2 weeks later...

Jesse Ventura said it best, "religion is a crutch for the weak minded."

I can't believe I just quoted a wrestler. Pretty sad, huh? But what’s even more sad is that he’s right.

99.9% of people during the time most religions were formed were completely uneducated. They would believe anything. I don't think anyone with half a brain today has any reason to believe those stories are true.

The Virgin Mary (Christian) is no less ridiculous than the idea that alien spirits have infested in our bodies. (scientology) Dumb and Dumber if you ask me.

Many religions today are followed by the poor, sick, and uneducated. People who need hope. Or a crutch. It's easy to brainwash these people. Sadly, many use religion to justify their hate. Others just want to feel better about themselves for being stock brokers and advertising execs. As long as they go to church on Sundays, they feel better Monday thru Saturday about living the exact opposite what Jesus stood for.

Just my opinion.

G

Jesse Ventura said it best, "religion is a crutch for the weak minded."

I can't believe I just quoted a wrestler. Pretty sad, huh? But what’s even more sad is that he’s right.

99.9% of people during the time most religions were formed were completely uneducated. They would believe anything. I don't think anyone with half a brain today has any reason to believe those stories are true.

The Virgin Mary (Christian) is no less ridiculous than the idea that alien spirits have infested in our bodies. (scientology)  Dumb and Dumber if you ask me.

Many religions today are followed by the poor, sick, and uneducated.  People who need hope. Or a crutch. It's easy to brainwash these people. Sadly, many use religion to justify their hate.  Others just want to feel better about themselves for being stock brokers and advertising execs. As long as they go to church on Sundays, they feel better Monday thru Saturday about living the exact opposite what Jesus stood for.

Just my opinion.

G

665096[/snapback]

Lets see how strong-minded you are when you are clinging to life by a thread... An inch from being dead, Bucko... <_<;)

You'll be crying to somebody... You can count on that.

If it eases the mind with regards to the final answer and your dignity... Why not use it as a "crutch?"

To each his own... But, I consider using your car to get to work a crutch... Why not walk?...

Of course I am only joking... And respect your right to your views... Even if they seem to be intolerant... :lol::lol:

Lets see how strong-minded you are when you are clinging to life by a thread... An inch from being dead, Bucko... :ph34r:  :D

You'll be crying to somebody... You can count on that.

If it eases the mind with regards to the final answer and your dignity... Why not use it as a "crutch?"

To each his own... But, I consider using your car to get to work a crutch... Why not walk?...

Of course I am only joking... And respect your right to your views... Even if they seem to be intolerant... :lol:  :D

665167[/snapback]

Funny. One of my biggest pet peeves is how intolerant religions are, despite their fundamental teachings. Then I go and make an ass out of myself with an intolerant post.

My apologies, didn’t mean to offend.

Funny. One of my biggest pet peeves is how intolerant religions are, despite their fundamental teachings. Then I go and make an ass out of myself with an intolerant post.

My apologies, didn’t mean to offend.

665339[/snapback]

No problem. Jesus and Marvin the Martian forgive you.