A little draft research for everyone...

sven233

Well, with all this speculation about us getting 4th round compensation (the first pick on the second day of the draft), I thought I would take a little trip back in time to look at how other teams have done with the first pick on the second day. We all know there are star players drafted in the 4th round in the past, but how have teams done with the first pick? Even though several talented players slip through the cracks on the first day, in the last 10 years teams have not faired real well with the first pick on the second day.

PICK # TEAM PLAYER POSITION SCHOOL

102 Philadelphia Sean Considine SS Iowa

97 N.Y. Giants Reggie Torbor OLB Auburn

98 Cincinnati Dennis Weathersby CB Oregon State

99 Houston Jonathan Wells RB Ohio State

96 New England Kenyatta Jones T South Florida

95 Cleveland Lewis Sanders CB Maryland

96 Indianapolis Paul Miranda CB Central Florida

93 Indianapolis Steve McKinney C Texas A&M

97 New England Damon Denson G Michigan

96 Tampa Bay Jason Odom T Florida

If the Bills do end up with this pick, I hope they fair better than these teams! There were many stars drafted in the 4th round of these drafts, but these guys wouldn't qualify for "star" status.

I know, this doesn't mean much, but I thought it might interest some people out there!

Well, with all this speculation about us getting 4th round compensation (the first pick on the second day of the draft), I thought I would take a little trip back in time to look at how other teams have done with the first pick on the second day.  We all know there are star players drafted in the 4th round in the past, but how have teams done with the first pick?  Even though several talented players slip through the cracks on the first day, in the last 10 years teams have not faired real well with the first pick on the second day.

PICK #          TEAM                      PLAYER                POSITION      SCHOOL

102 Philadelphia Sean Considine    SS      Iowa

97 N.Y. Giants  Reggie Torbor    OLB    Auburn

98 Cincinnati              Dennis Weathersby          CB Oregon State

99 Houston                Jonathan Wells    RB  Ohio State

96 New England Kenyatta Jones      T South Florida

95 Cleveland                  Lewis Sanders    CB  Maryland

96 Indianapolis  Paul Miranda    CB Central Florida

93 Indianapolis Steve McKinney      C Texas A&M

97 New England Damon Denson      G  Michigan

96 Tampa Bay Jason Odom      T  Florida

If the Bills do end up with this pick, I hope they fair better than these teams!  There were many stars drafted in the 4th round of these drafts, but these guys wouldn't qualify for "star" status.

I know, this doesn't mean much, but I thought it might interest some people out there!

649208[/snapback]

Thanks for spending the time and it's an interesting list, although you failed to mention the one just previous to your last: RJ. :D But this was unfortunately already covered in another thread.

You cant expect a 4th rounder to be a superstar.  Its nice when it happens, but you cant expect it.  I would be happy with a Jonathan Wells type player with this pick though.

649309[/snapback]

I was not necessarily saying that I hope the Bills definately end up with a Superstar. It would be nice. I was simply pointing out the fact that other teams with the first pick on the second day have "missed" after revaluating the players that were still on the board when Day 2 began. It is not easy to pick a 4th rounder. Very difficult.

I just hope that if the Bills do end up with this opportunity that they can step up and make a great pick!

I'd "settle" for getting the next Steve McKinney with that pick, considering SM has started 124 games in the league.

Come to think of it, I'd take McKinney over either of our starting guards right now.

I'd "settle" for getting the next Steve McKinney with that pick, considering SM has started 124 games in the league.

Come to think of it, I'd take McKinney over either of our starting guards right now.

649436[/snapback]

OG always seems to be a Position where you can land a Gem in the 3rd or 4th Round. Heck Will Shields went #74 Overall...

The OG that really stood out to me at the Sr. Bowl was Pitt's Charles Spencer. I'm hoping he slides down just a bit so the Bills have a crack at him with one of the 3rd Round Picks... :D