With Moulds leaving the Bills will

5 Wide

Now with most of the top free agents off the market (not counting the June 1 cuts) would it be feasible to give Nate Clements a huge first year salary number as opposed to giving him a bonus that gets pro-rated out over the life of the deal. If you give Nate say 10 million for this season and a 5 million dollar signing bonus then you could have base salaries down around 3-4 million for the rest of the deal. Just a thought I had....

Now with most of the top free agents off the market (not counting the June 1 cuts) would it be feasible to give Nate Clements a huge first year salary number as opposed to giving him a bonus that gets pro-rated out over the life of the deal.  If you give Nate say 10 million for this season and a 5 million dollar signing bonus then you could have base salaries down around 3-4 million for the rest of the deal.  Just a thought I had....

648170[/snapback]

Salaries aren't guaranteed money. The players want those guaranteed bonuses.

Well, you could guarantee him his 2006 season salary at $10 million, or make it a week-1 roster bonus and make it function roughly the same. This wouldn't be a bad year to pay the salary cap down a little bit - try to get future salaries up into this year, etc, and get a big cushion for 2007.

But if you give him 10 Million in base salary the first year then that's guaranteed money he'll be getting....same as a signing bonus just not spread out to screw us 4 years from now

648181[/snapback]

Not if he gets injured, suspended, etc.

Since I don't want to start another Moulds thread, anyone find irony in this:

The Bills offered him a contract that included a pay cut that would have allowed him to finish his career in Buffalo. However, after 10 seasons that saw him play under four head coaches, six offensive coordinators and nine starting quarterbacks, Moulds is eager for a fresh start somewhere else.

So he's going to a new city, new QB, new HC, new OC, new RC. Guess he's simply decided it's time to ease on down the road.

But if you give him 10 Million in base salary the first year then that's guaranteed money he'll be getting....same as a signing bonus just not spread out to screw us 4 years from now

648181[/snapback]

I like the idea myself, and suggested the same thing in another thread. What's funny about it is that Nate already counts 7+ mil on the cap for this year so we would still have a bunch of money left.

Since I don't want to start another Moulds thread, anyone find irony in this:

So he's going to a new city, new QB, new HC, new OC, new RC.  Guess he's simply decided it's time to ease on down the road.

648227[/snapback]

Yeah, and David Carr isn't exactly lighting up the league. Moulds may wind up in a "Buffalo South" situation!

Now with most of the top free agents off the market (not counting the June 1 cuts) would it be feasible to give Nate Clements a huge first year salary number as opposed to giving him a bonus that gets pro-rated out over the life of the deal.  If you give Nate say 10 million for this season and a 5 million dollar signing bonus then you could have base salaries down around 3-4 million for the rest of the deal.  Just a thought I had....

648170[/snapback]

Nate...? Is that you?