New Riders of the Purple Sage

rockpile

NRPS will be performing at the Lilac Festival in Rochester May 14th. They still have some of the original members, and I would really like to see them again to see if they still "have it". One of the first Cosmic Country bands. ;)

I last saw them in 1971 on a shared bill with Commander Cody and his Lost Planet Airmen at UB. :doh:

Link: NRPS

Be careful if you link at work there is music playing kind of loudly, when you reach the page. Remember the song "I Don't Know You"?

Most people remember them for "Panama Red". :)

NRPS will be performing at the Lilac Festival in Rochester May 14th. They still have some of the original members, and I would really like to see them again to see if they still "have it". One of the first Cosmic Country bands.  ;)

I last saw them in 1971 on a shared bill with Commander Cody and his Lost Planet Airmen at UB.  :doh:

Link:  NRPS

Be careful if you link at work there is music playing kind of loudly, when you reach the page. Remember the song "I Don't Know You"?

Most people remember them for "Panama Red":P

648159[/snapback]

Crap, you are old. :) Maybe if you're lucky the warm-up band will be Spyro Gyra.

Can't believe the Lilac Festival still takes place. Does the Italian Festival still come to town? That was one of my favorites.

Can't believe the Lilac Festival still takes place. Does the Italian Festival still come to town? That was one of my favorites.

648243[/snapback]

Yep, still takes place. It's fallen way behind the Park Ave fest and Corn Hill fest in terms of quality though. Hell, I rate Fairport Canal days higher than the Lilac fest now.

Never heard of the Italian fest so it's not big if it's still here.

Kind of hard to do with out Jerry, isn't it?

648327[/snapback]

Garcia used to jam with NRPS and played some on their 1st album.

The concert I mentioned was to promote the release of the New Riders' and Commander Cody's debut albums. We were hoping that somewhere Jerry would sneak on stage but no such luck.

Yes, I guess am an old fart from some perspectives; just in the early part of my second half century on this planet in my eyes. (click on my name to see my picture and tell me I am old!)

My first concert was the Blues Magoos when I was twelve. I had to lie about my age because it was a teen club. :o:doh:

Crap, you are old. :o Maybe if you're lucky the warm-up band will be Spyro Gyra.

648243[/snapback]

Don't know the Italian Fest, sorry. I never got into Spyro Gyra but respected their music. Who is calling who "old", Dad! :doh:

Don't know the Italian Fest, sorry. I never got into Spyro Gyra but respected their music. Who is calling who "old", Dad!  :doh:

648472[/snapback]

That Italian fest must have been in some other citylike Irondequoit. I believe a lot of the wops hung out there.

Ding! Ding! Ding! Winner here. It WAS ER because we were headed to a college bar over there (can't remember the name) and ran into the festival. Good times.

648490[/snapback]

My wife and I (girlfiend at the time) lived in ER for 2 years. Our landlord was full fledged mob. Had the Godfather playing in his office non-stop, had a conversation right in front of me about a guy that got "whacked" and deserved it. Always had a car with a big trunk (and a new one every few months.)

When we left he told us if we ever need anything to call him. We have the mob on our side, so I got that going for me.

Crap, you are old. :D Maybe if you're lucky the warm-up band will be Spyro Gyra.

648243[/snapback]

We used to do a small local festival that I played in called the Tulip festival. I liked women who planted tulips vs lilacs. ;)

NRPS? Wow...didn't know these guys were still alive. I bet it will be fun...and I expect a complete report (see Rico's reviews, Johnny Coli's rants or the summaries by The Dean, if you need a reference).

I named a cat Panama Red in college (it was a red cat...surprise).

As for Spyro Gyra...we used to drive up from the Falls and go to the old Tralf on Main Street (next to the Stuffed Mushroom) to see Spyro Gyra (before they were famous and still had that outrageous piano player) for a $1 cover.

After the show, we'd walk to Slomba's. I remember going to Slomba's dozens of times. I don't recall leaving, however. Bionics and shots...good times.

Do all the mini-rocks know what a wild man Daddy was?

649189[/snapback]

Actually, we talk about a lot of things. I am always honest with them, but sometimes the honest answer is "none of your business"! We can have conversations about sex, or drugs, or religion, or politics, or the proper way to eat an Oreo. :lol:

That "none of your business" works both ways for me and the mini-rocks, by the way, unless it is an issue of safety or health - THEN I can be a bastid. I do think for the most part we respect each other. :)

I cannot think of a topic that has come up that we have not been able to discuss. Living through the craziness of the Woodstock Era (I just caught the tail end) I observed a lot and participated in some of it. I never considered myself a wild man, just an anarchist. :doh: