Are we ready to give up on JP?

2 years ago the Bills sacrificed last years first round pick and took JP Losman with the 22nd pick in the first round in a pick they acquired from the Dallas Cowboys, and now the majority of the posters on this board just after 1 full year of playing pro football are ready to wipe their hands clean of him. We all know that his rookie year was basically wiped out due to a preseason hit by Troy Vincent, but what i want to focus on was his first year actually in position to run this team.

Last year Buffalo won 5 games as a team and it was just a disaster of a year. Our defense was poor, our offensive line was terrible and our offense wasnt exactly stellar. But at times the offense showed glimpses of the future with Lee Evans streaking down the field by a pass delivered perfectly by JP Losman. The one memory that will always stick out in my mind about last years team is not the play of a first year signal caller but the line he played behind. And the one stat was that will stick out in my mind is not the 2-7 record that JP had last year but the 26 times that JP was sacked last year. Also in those 9 games, Willis McGahee rushed for 100 yards just 2 times. I dont believe you can just write off a 25 year old kid who didnt have much help to work with. Instead of just giving up, how about address the need that seems to have been the issue for the last 5 years. Lets build an offensive line around JP and then see what he can do. His stats werent exactly horrible last year with a 50 percent completion percentage with 8 td's and 8 ints. How about you start with Jason Peters, Melvin Fowler, Duke Preston, Mike Gandy. They address the OL with 2 out of our first 3 picks with selecting Winston Justice with our first pick. Give JP an offensive line with upside to look forward too and then see if he has the ability to lead this team. Just b/c it was Donahoe who took the chance at a young gunslinger from Tulane, who could really showed he could play at Tulane and at the combines, i dont think Marv should give up on a kid who hasnt led the team for a whole 16 game season. Give him 16 games this year with a better OL, a steadier Willis McGahee, a healthy Kevin Everett, and a rising star in Lee Evans, and if then he falters, Marv can address that issue at that time. I would just hate to see Buffalo give up on JP and watch him mature into a star for another organization. I would like Marv to build an OL for this team that will protect our young qb and give Willis some holes to run through. If Willis has the holes, and JP has the protection, I dont believe that QB will be our problem. I dont think its time to give up on JP, I think its time to address the real issue. The Offensive Line.

I don't really care anymore who is on the team, I just want to be watching the Bills play in January in the playoffs. If they aren't gonna give JP a legitimate shot, then they may as well get rid of him now.

I don't really care anymore who is on the team, I just want to be watching the Bills play in January in the playoffs.  If they aren't gonna give JP a legitimate shot, then they may as well get rid of him now.

646320[/snapback]

The Playoffs, i miss those days.

First off, Losman is, dare I say it, a victim of last year's coaching staff. He was named the starter without earning the job, which is something that even he was uncomfortable with it. As a result, I'm sure his teammates, who have all had to fight to earn their starting spot, did not fully buy in to a QB who was inserted into the mix. That certainly didn't help Losman last year as he tried to keep his starting role. It would also account for any rumoured "team doesn't like him" messages...

As to where things are now, it's kind of silly to think that the Bills would be ready to shuffle him off without even seeing him make one throw live, just based on tape. They just started the offseason conditioning program last week, so it seems far too early for the coaching staff to have assessed his current capabilities. Does that mean that Marv and company are not "testing the trade waters?" Absolutely not. You have a 3 way competition at QB (as Marv and Dick pretty much had said all along...Dick saying no one will be handed the starting job at any position, that it has to be earned, and Marv saying they'd be picking up a 2nd tier Free agent QB to give us 3 (non-NFL Europe) QB's), which means that there are 2 out of 3 outcomes that result in Losman not getting the starting job. Now this doesn't mean that Losman only has a 33% chance of getting the job, but if he can't beat out two other candidates in a practice scenario, then he's not going to cut it as a #1 QB for this offense during the season. If one of those two situations happen (Nall or Holcomb get the starting nod), you need to be ready for plan B. Plan B cannot (or at least shouldn't) include keeping Losman as a number 2 so you have to determine what your other options are. A trade is the best overall option because you get something for him. So where people are complaining that Levy won't get anything for Moulds because it's already clear the Bills will release Moulds, he's taking the opposite tack of looking for trade partners first in case he needs to dump Losman. This rumored "trade scenario" is not about Losman losing the team's confidence before he even steps out on the practice field, it's not about dumping a "TD guy," it's talking hypothetically with other teams to guage interest in anticipation of a possible outcome. This scenario would be completely consistent with everything we've heard from the coaching staff and front office, and I haven't seen them do anything that's inconsistent with what they've said they were going to do.

First off, Losman is, dare I say it, a victim of last year's coaching staff.  He was named the starter without earning the job, which is something that even he was uncomfortable with it.  As a result, I'm sure his teammates, who have all had to fight to earn their starting spot, did not fully buy in to a QB who was inserted into the mix.  That certainly didn't help Losman last year as he tried to keep his starting role.  It would also account for any rumoured "team doesn't like him" messages...

As to where things are now, it's kind of silly to think that the Bills would be ready to shuffle him off without even seeing him make one throw live, just based on tape.  They just started the offseason conditioning program last week, so it seems far too early for the coaching staff to have assessed his current capabilities.  Does that mean that Marv and company are not "testing the trade waters?"  Absolutely not.  You have a 3 way competition at QB (as Marv and Dick pretty much had said all along...Dick saying no one will be handed the starting job at any position, that it has to be earned, and Marv saying they'd be picking up a 2nd tier Free agent QB to give us 3 (non-NFL Europe) QB's), which means that there are 2 out of 3 outcomes that result in Losman not getting the starting job.  Now this doesn't mean that Losman only has a 33% chance of getting the job, but if he can't beat out two other candidates in a practice scenario, then he's not going to cut it as a #1 QB for this offense during the season.  If one of those two situations happen (Nall or Holcomb get the starting nod), you need to be ready for plan B.  Plan B cannot (or at least shouldn't) include keeping Losman as a number 2 so you have to determine what your other options are.  A trade is the best overall option because you get something for him.  So where people are complaining that Levy won't get anything for Moulds because it's already clear the Bills will release Moulds, he's taking the opposite tack of looking for trade partners first in case he needs to dump Losman.  This rumored "trade scenario" is not about Losman losing the team's confidence before he even steps out on the practice field, it's not about dumping a "TD guy," it's talking hypothetically with other teams to guage interest in anticipation of a possible outcome. This scenario would be completely consistent with everything we've heard from the coaching staff and front office, and I haven't seen them do anything that's inconsistent with what they've said they were going to do.

646741[/snapback]

How long until someone else notices this?

It's like a classic novel though, every time you read it there is something different that just jumps out at you. It's brilliant in its idiocy.

646767[/snapback]

Plus it's enhanced if you play " Three Blind Mice " in the background.

Losman should have a full year (this year) to start and prove himself.  If he shows he has improved form last year, then give him the keys next year too.  He's only going to get better with experience.

646801[/snapback]

Mile High - Do like the Talking Heads and STOP MAKING SENSE!!!!!

:blink:

2 years ago the Bills sacrificed last years first round pick and  took JP Losman with the 22nd pick in the first round in a pick they acquired from the Dallas Cowboys, and now the majority of the posters on this board just after 1 full year of playing pro football are ready to wipe their hands clean of him. We all know that his rookie year was basically wiped out due to a preseason hit by Troy Vincent, but what i want to focus on was his first year actually in position to run this team.

Last year Buffalo won 5 games as a team and it was just a disaster of a year. Our defense was poor, our offensive line was terrible and our offense wasnt exactly stellar. But at times the offense showed glimpses of the future with Lee Evans streaking down the field by a pass delivered perfectly by JP Losman. The one memory that will always stick out in my mind about last years team is not the play of a first year signal caller but the line he played behind. And the one stat was that will stick out in my mind is not the 2-7 record that JP had last year but the 26 times that JP was sacked last year. Also in those 9 games, Willis McGahee rushed for 100 yards just 2 times. I dont believe you can just write off a 25 year old kid who didnt have much help to work with. Instead of just giving up, how about address the need that seems to have been the issue for the last 5 years. Lets build an offensive line around JP and then see what he can do. His stats werent exactly horrible last year with a 50 percent completion percentage with 8 td's and 8 ints.  How about you start with Jason Peters, Melvin Fowler, Duke Preston, Mike Gandy. They address the OL with 2 out of our first 3 picks with selecting Winston Justice with our first pick. Give JP an offensive line with upside to look forward too and  then see if he has the ability to lead this team. Just b/c it was Donahoe who took the chance at a young gunslinger from Tulane, who could really showed he could play at Tulane and at the combines, i dont think Marv should give up on a kid who hasnt led the team for a whole 16 game season. Give him 16 games this year with a better OL, a steadier Willis McGahee, a healthy Kevin Everett, and a rising star in Lee Evans, and if then he falters, Marv can address that issue at that time. I would just hate to see Buffalo give up on JP and watch him mature into a star for another organization. I would like Marv to build an OL for this team that will protect our young qb and give Willis some holes to run through. If Willis has the holes, and JP has the protection, I dont believe that QB will be our problem. I dont think its time to give up on JP, I think its time to address the real issue. The Offensive Line.

646315[/snapback]

I totally agree. I don't understand why so many rumors are flying about giving up on this guy. I thought he had comparisons with Brett Farve, due to his "gunslinging mentality". He has quite an arm, and has tremendous athleticism. At the beginning of last preseason, I remember the coaches saying that he commanded the huddle.

Is everyone worried about another RJ because of his California look and demeanor? There were times last year when he looked incredible. But, he was a rookie last year, for the most part.

Who would give up on someone already?

I totally agree.  I don't understand why so many rumors are flying about giving up on this guy.  I thought he had comparisons with Brett Farve, due to his "gunslinging mentality".  He has quite an arm, and has tremendous athleticism.  At the beginning of last preseason, I remember the coaches saying that he commanded the huddle.

Is everyone worried about another RJ because of his California look and demeanor?  There were times last year when he looked incredible.  But, he was a rookie last year, for the most part.

Who would give up on someone already?

646956[/snapback]

Seems like there a lot of people here who would like to see us play the role of the Atlanta Falcons to complete the comparison to Favre and his career! :blink: