Prayer in school

gotsoccer22

Do you want to keep prayer in school?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to keep prayer in school?

• yes
    • no

This is a loaded question. It's meant to suggest anyone who believes in a constitutional separation of church and state, where all religions are treated equally, is some kind of god-hating devil worshipper. The question should be: "Do you feel government should or should not sanction official religious activity?" because that what prayer in school is.

PTR

Not sure, but I WOULD definitely vote to say the Pledge everyday like I did when I was young.

I may be in the minority, but I think that if you don't pledge, you don't stay in the US. Yes, I know part of what makes America great is the right to do basically what you want, but damn it, I get pissed when I see people disrespect our flag and bad-mouth the US....

I may be in the minority, but I think that if you don't pledge, you don't stay in the US. Yes, I know part of what makes America great is the right to do basically what you want, but damn it, I get pissed when I see people disrespect our flag and bad-mouth the US....

47523[/snapback]

The forgotten side of free speech is that along with someone's right not to say the pledge, for example, is your right to think they're an !@#$, and tell them so.

Do I think prayer should be allowed in school? Yes. When I feel moved to pray, I do it regardless of my surroundings or location, and to attempt to legislate it out of schools is ridiculous.

Do I think public shools should have a moment of silence or "prayer time?" No, for a few reasons. Most of the kids won't/don't pray, it's not "cool." It'd be a waste of time. Public Schools are operated by the government, and just as the letter of the law is used for things like the 2nd Ammendment, so should the letter of the law be used in keeping religion (ie, prayer-time) out of schools under the seperation of church and state.

Years ago, some schools used the old "school prayer" that in each class the teacher would lead and students recite, along with the pledge to the flag. That is what the supreme court struck down, though I'm no sure why. It was a very generic prayer, which mentioned God, but no specific religion's terminology. "Jesus Christ " was not mentioned in the prayer, nor of course was "Allah" etc. Therefore the prayer did not in my mind constitute endorsement of a specific religion. A Muslim, or a Jew, or a Christian, or a Hindu could all recite that prayer in good conscience. Ultimately, only athiests were offended by the prayer, though there is nothing in the constitution that suggests the government should be forbidden from encouraging religious belief of the individual's choice.

Still, I don't really advocate a return to the good old days of the official school prayer, mainly because I don't think generic, general prayers do anyone much good. A minute of silence is OK if schools want to have that. The thing I think schools ought to allow, though some school systems balk at the idea, is a provision, for students who request it, for a room where students can pray together and read the Bible (or Quran if it's a group of Muslims) at a specific time. In other words, students should have the right to have a religious group in a school with the same status of any other club. No, they wouldn't be able to cut classes to go pray. They would have to meet when and where a room could be made available just like the Future Farmers of America, or the Chess Club. Some schools have denied students that right in the past. I think when they do they missunderstand the constitution. The constitution not only forbids government sponsorship of a specific religion, it forbids the government from preventing the free practice thereof. If students seek to practice their religion in school, in a manner that is consistent with school policy for any student group, then the school, as an agency of government, is explicitly forbidding the free practice of religion. If my kid wanted to have such a club, and the school said he/she couldn't, you can bet I'd be suing the pants off the school board, and I think I would win too.

since when do you need permission for a "moment of silence"... just put your head down and keep your mouth shut... if you want to pray, then pray, leave the kids who don't want to pray alone.

Prayer belongs at home.

47621[/snapback]

I couldn't disagree with you more. Prayer belongs wherever people want to do it. It's not like second hand smoke that's going to hurt someone. No, in school, kids can't and should not be allowed to be disruptive and pray out loud anywhere and anytime they want. But if kids want to get together and do it in school and they are not bothering other people my constitution and yours says they have that right.