Great quote from the Chief's GM

"When there are two or three teams that covet a guy, the monetary value of that player goes up. But his talent doesn’t go up. You’ve got to be careful not to fall into that trap.”

I would be happy if Marv had this approach. Give me a *** I hate saying this *** a conservative GM who does not think of Gimmics and band aids to fix a bleeding wound.

the chiefs are the oldest team in the nfl so how does what peterson says coincide with the team hes putting on the field? A gm like Carl Peterson is not something I'd ever want. He doesn't exactaly have the chiefs competing for superbowls or winning playoff games. Not a great example. All Peterson cares about is being .500 to keep arrowhead full. Thats his goal year in and year out. The Chiefs haven't improved in major need areas in a long while.

the chiefs are the oldest team in the nfl so how does what peterson says coincide with the team hes putting on the field?  A gm like Carl Peterson is not something I'd ever want.   He doesn't exactaly have the chiefs competing for superbowls or winning playoff games.  Not a great example. All Peterson cares about is being .500 to keep arrowhead full. Thats his goal year in and year out. The Chiefs haven't improved in major need areas in a long while.

643048[/snapback]

On offense they have been old and content, but on Defense the Chiefs have gone out and tried to bring in younger studs. Maybe he has learned from that, because even though they went out and got Shawn Barber, Kendrell Bell, Partick Surtain, Carlos Hall, Vonnie Holliday, Sammy Knight, and Dexter McCleon over the last 3 years, none of these free agent signings have helped make their defense better.

Maybe he has learned from those mistakes. You cant just go out and sign up a defense and think you will be better.

"When there are two or three teams that covet a guy, the monetary value of that player goes up. But his talent doesn’t go up. You’ve got to be careful not to fall into that trap.”

I would be happy if Marv had this approach.  Give me a *** I hate saying this *** a conservative GM who does not think of Gimmics and band aids to fix a bleeding wound.

643046[/snapback]

The quote would have been more compelling if it had come from a GM with a history of going deep in the playoffs often and winning an SB occaisionally.

While, I think this qupte is generally true. I don't think I would buy a book entitled the AZ Cardinals Secrets For Playing Winning Football. I think that Peterson actually weighs down this truth.

All Peterson cares about is being .500 to keep arrowhead full. Thats his goal year in and year out. The Chiefs haven't improved in major need areas in a long while.

643048[/snapback]

Looks like TD is in disguise....May be Lamar Hunts wants it that way and

if Carl is given his wish, he will probably field a different team...

One thing though, every year the Chiefs are in the fight to make the

playoffs....but with San Diego and Denver also playing very well it has been

hard for the Chiefs make that extra step, considering the talent they have

on the O side of the football....Lot of that blame should go Trent Green....

TG puts up the #s, but I can never see him as a team leader to lead a

team....sort of a ROb Johnson.

Guest BackInDaDay

If your owner and GM are satisfied with a hard-nosed team that gives it their all each game wins their fair share, then you do what we're doing. Marv and Jauron have to establish a core of motivated players that will run through brick walls.

Now, if that's accomplished in a season or two, Marv must talk Ralph into letting him add the guys that can the team to the next level. TD burned Ralph bad, but he trusts Levy not to throw his money away.

TD burned Ralph bad, but he trusts Levy not to throw his money away.

643197[/snapback]

Does the above let Ralph off the hook just a little too much? TD sold a big bunch of tickets for Ralph by drafting "skill players" and throwing away picks that could have been used to develop a solid team on a project at QB.

Ralph sounds a little strange from time to time, but I find it hard to exclude him from any fault wrt the mess this team is in.

Guest BackInDaDay
Does the above let Ralph off the hook just a little too much?

643224[/snapback]

Oh brother. Thanks Bill, I'd never thought I'd see the day I was defending Ralph! 0:)

No matter what we think of the person, the quote makes sense!  Despite the "conservative" GM, there's no doubt they've been more successful than the BILLS! 0:)

643179[/snapback]

The quote makes sense as part of the story, but the real answer is balance. Success comes not from some addiction to always paying a bunch for the players to get the best (ala Snyder) or from throwing nickels around like their manhole covers (Bill Bidwill). Success comes from being careful about your buys in general but making the right choices at the right time to go get and cultivate some key players.

While it is easy to say nothing suceeds like success, it just happens to be true.

One ofthe reasons TD was such a pain in the butt was that a significant number of times he seemed to do just the right thing in terms of getting players at very conservative costs who easily exceeded what we paid for them in output (TKO, Sam Adams and Fletcher for examples). He also did not fear paying a big buck for a takeout bid to avoid a bidding war for a definiite Bill needs such as Lawyer Milloy even though it meant overpaying him. He, Modrak and the team also get some props for reading the market exceedingly well and taking some unconventional steps that worked out around the whole WM/Peerless activity.

However, despite a fairly provable record of a number of good economic and player assessment calls such as those listed above. He also did some fairly senseless things like extending Bledsoe and hiring HCs he felt he could control so they would never Bill Cowher him again that really killed this team.

The quote makes sense as part of the story, but the real answer is balance. Success comes not from some addiction to always paying a bunch for the players to get the best (ala Snyder) or from throwing nickels around like their manhole covers (Bill Bidwill).  Success comes from being careful about your buys in general but making the right choices at the right time to go get and cultivate some key players.

While it is easy to say nothing suceeds like success, it just happens to be true.

One ofthe reasons TD was such a pain in the butt was that a significant number of times he seemed to do just the right thing in terms of getting players at very conservative costs who easily exceeded what we paid for them in output (TKO, Sam Adams and Fletcher for examples). He also did not fear paying a big buck for a takeout bid to avoid a bidding war for a definiite Bill needs such as Lawyer Milloy even though it meant overpaying him.  He, Modrak and the team also get some props for reading the market exceedingly well and taking some unconventional steps that worked out around the whole WM/Peerless activity.

However, despite a fairly provable record of a number of good economic and player assessment calls such as those listed above. He also did some fairly senseless things like extending Bledsoe and hiring HCs he felt he could control so they would never Bill Cowher him again that really killed this team.

643362[/snapback]

You conclude that he read the market well.

However, many of his big name, big money acquisitions did not produce on the field to justify the big money invested.

Could be that TD had trouble evaluating talent - and overpaid dearly for under performers.

the chiefs are the oldest team in the nfl so how does what peterson says coincide with the team hes putting on the field?  A gm like Carl Peterson is not something I'd ever want.  He doesn't exactaly have the chiefs competing for superbowls or winning playoff games.  Not a great example. All Peterson cares about is being .500 to keep arrowhead full. Thats his goal year in and year out. The Chiefs haven't improved in major need areas in a long while.

643048[/snapback]

Where do you people come up with statements like this? I am quite sure Carl Peterson cares about being more than .500. 0:)