Ralph the reason we can't improve quickly?

I was just reading about the improvements the Browns have made i.e. signing Ted Washington, Willie McGinest et al. and how they hope to make themselves competitive right away.

It makes me wonder: is Ralph the reason this franchise always acts like it lacks the resources to compete right away? I'm just throwing out the question. After all, what makes the Bills different from Cleveland? There's revenue sharing and a salary cap so everyone is pretty much on equal footing save for some more minor and secondary revenue streams that bigger market clubs have some advantage.

When you cut through everything, this seems at times like a cheap organization I think. People dance around it on these message boards all the time, but let's call a spade a spade.

I don't think this franchise has ever really wanted to invest in what it takes to win. You go back for example, to letting Chuck Knox walk away in favor of Kay Stephenson, or the Polian Littman squabbles. That pretty much defines the tenor of this organization and I don't think anything has really changed since then. It just happens to be 2006 and not 1983.

The Bills have spent to the cap limit EVERY year that there's been free agency. So thinking Ralph is cheap is so wrong, it's funny. Just because they didn't pay-out stupid signing bonuses to guys like Bentley and Hutchinson doesn't mean Ralph is cheap, and a lot of OTHER teams aren't getting all the best FA's.

I could be wrong and I have no knowledge of what happens at OBD. I'm just throwing out the question why there are no expectations for improving right away or why for example, this franchise always tries to cut corners in terms of its head coaches being among the lowest paid. I'm not expecting it to wildly overpay like Daniel Snyder. I'm just seeking answers to why there are few expectations for quickly turning things around, like there would be, for instance, in another market like Dallas.

I could be wrong and I have no knowledge of what happens at OBD. I'm just throwing out the question why there are no expectations for improving right away or why for example, this franchise always tries to cut corners in terms of its head coaches being among the lowest paid. I'm not expecting it to wildly overpay like Daniel Snyder. I'm just seeking answers to why there are few expectations for quickly turning things around, like there would be, for instance, in another market like Dallas.

642745[/snapback]

If signing players like TO means we're trying to win now. I'd vote every day to be a loser. I'd find it very hard to root for a team like Dallas. Sure they may win, but sometimes you have to wiegh the cost of winning against the cost of being a winner.

I was just reading about the improvements the Browns have made i.e. signing Ted Washington, Willie McGinest et al. and how they hope to make themselves competitive right away.

It makes me wonder: is Ralph the reason this franchise always acts like it lacks the resources to compete right away? I'm just throwing out the question. After all, what makes the Bills different from Cleveland? There's revenue sharing and a salary cap so everyone is pretty much on equal footing save for some more minor and secondary revenue streams that bigger market clubs have some advantage.

When you cut through everything, this is just a cheap organization I think. People dance around it on these message boards all the time, but let's call a spade a spade.

I don't think this franchise has ever really wanted to invest in what it takes to win. You go back for example, to letting Chuck Knox walk away in favor of Kay Stephenson, or the Polian Littman squabbles. That pretty much defines the tenor of this organization and I don't think anything has really changed since then. It just happens to be 2006 and not 1983.

642731[/snapback]

they signed a lot of old people . what makes you think that the signings will help them ? they have to play the game and win . so lets tell ralph to put the seats at $ 100 per seat and $45 to park .then he could spend a lot more money on players .seeing how free you are with ralphs money , you could send him a few thousand . i am sure he could put it to good use .

they signed a lot of old people . what makes you think that the signings will help them ? they have to play the game  and win . so lets tell ralph to put the seats at $ 100 per seat and $45 to park .then he could spend a lot more money on players .seeing how free you are with ralphs money , you could send him a few thousand . i am sure he could put it to good use .

642758[/snapback]

I'm not saying all these signings with outrageous bonuses i.e. Hutchinson, et al. are prudent. I'm just wondering why the Bills always act like they are among the "have nots" and can't figure out a way to compete right away. It's not like Ralph is like Kraft, who leveraged himself privately through the wazoo for a new stadium.

Perhaps the Bills are deciding to take a long term approach and not spend bad money after bad money like Daniel Snyder has done and continues to do. I'm just pondering all of this on a lazy Sunday.

I'm not saying all these signings with outrageous bonuses i.e. Hutchinson, et al. are prudent. I'm just wondering why the Bills always act like they are among the "have nots" and can't figure out a way to compete right away. It's not like Ralph is like Kraft, who leveraged himself privately through the wazoo for a new stadium.

Perhaps the Bills are deciding to take a long term approach and not spend bad money after bad money like Daniel Snyder has done and continues to do. I'm just pondering all of this on a lazy Sunday.

642764[/snapback]

how much money did did Pits spend ?cap has to count some place .

Is Jeffrey Lurie considered extravagent or the opposite  0:), don't know enough about him to know how he is viewed in Philly?

642755[/snapback]

Jeff Lurie and Joe Banner are HUGE tightwads.....I was in Philly when they first bought the team.....they were criticized all the time for not spending enough. If memory serves, they even got in trouble with the NFL for not using enough of the salary cap.

When you cut through everything, this seems at times like a cheap organization I think. People dance around it on these message boards all the time, but let's call a spade a spade.

642731[/snapback]

Cleveland signed Washington and Mcginest two guys at the end of their ropes. Sorry fella but Cleveland is a long way from being competative.We are a in a rebuilding mode face it guys, if we win 8 games be happy, I am happy with what the franchise is doping and getting these young guys could benefit us in the end. or we can shell out an ass load of money get 2 high priced names and still complain about how we only won 6 games. The only person in my opinion who was worth the money he got was Hutch. and there is no way the frugal brain trust spend that kind of dough. Everyone wants to win now thats the idea, but man lets bite the bullet and get back in the early 90's. Lets give Marv the chance to hang himself, we owe the guy that much.GO BILLS