Pats Re-sign Neal

Patriots | Team agrees to terms with S. Neal

Thu, 23 Mar 2006 22:13:27 -0800

Tom E. Curran, of the Providence Journal, reports sources said the New England Patriots have agreed to terms with one of their own free agents, OL Stephen Neal (Patriots), on an undisclosed contract.

I was hoping to get him would've been a nice addition and a step closer in improving our oline. Looks like it's draft or nothing

Patriots | Team agrees to terms with S. Neal

Thu, 23 Mar 2006 22:13:27 -0800

Tom E. Curran, of the Providence Journal, reports sources said the New England Patriots have agreed to terms with one of their own free agents, OL Stephen Neal (Patriots), on an undisclosed contract.

I was hoping to get him would've been a nice addition and a step closer in improving our oline.  Looks like it's draft or nothing

640927[/snapback]

Fuuuuuug billsguyinmalta not happy. I was hoping for him as well.

It's just as well. He wasn't any good, him being a backup and all.

Don't 'cha know? That's why the Pats were going to let him go.

Marv would have just been wasting his time anyway.

He wouldn't have improved our team much, if at all.

He isn't that big a name.

[/sARCASM]

Best thing about this is the Patsies had to cough up some of their cap money.

Bastages! :lol:

No big loss.  The guy is almost 30 and has had major injury problems.  I don't get the love for the guy.  Is it because he was a Patriot?

640997[/snapback]

The patriots must love him. Actually he and Hutch were the major additions to the offensive line available in free agency. It would have been a huge improvement to sign either of them. Not the end of the world that we didn't, and in fact I couldn't have imagined either Seattle (although they did let Hutch go to the Vikings) or the Patsies letting either one of them go.

Marv just wasted more time bringing him in, Everyone knew he was only going to resign with the Patriots and he only came here to get the Patriots to cough up a couple extra bucks he is the third best lineman available this year and Marv is too old and senile to do the job and refuses to fix the OL.

or if he signed here

The guy is too old, has previous injuries that he hasn't recovered from or he is another cast off from the Patriots, he can't be good cause they know something we don't.

I guess I have to go with the first one for my response to this post

Marv just wasted more time bringing him in, Everyone knew he was only going to resign with the Patriots and he only came here to get the Patriots to cough up a couple extra bucks he is the third best lineman available this year and Marv is too old and senile to do the job and refuses to fix the OL.

or if he signed here

The guy is too old, has previous injuries that he hasn't recovered from or he is another cast off from the Patriots, he can't be good cause they know something we don't.

I guess I have to go with the first one for my response to this post

641095[/snapback]

is Marv your grandfather or something?

I have to think that Marv and company really preferred Wells to Neal -- and that they thought with such a lucrative offer they never dreamed that the Cardinals would seriously match it. Yes, we all know that the Cardinals had more than enough cap room to do so, but I think Marv was banking that Bidwell would be to stingy to do so. He gambled and he lost... Oh, well.

Patriots keep two of their own in Brown, Neal By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

After watching the door swing mostly outward in the first two weeks of free agency, the New England Patriots finally found a way to bolt it shut.

Neal

Brown

New England has reached agreement with a pair of its own unrestricted free agents, versatile wide receiver Troy Brown and starting right guard Stephen Neal, and the contracts could be finalized by Friday. Financial details were not immediately available, but sources confirmed Brown will sign a second straight one-year contract, and Neal is likely to receive a multi-year deal.

The retention of Brown is particularly significant given his longevity with the franchise, what he represents to Patriots fans, and the fact that New England has already lost a pair of revered veterans in linebacker Willie McGinest and kicker Adam Vinatieri, along with other key players.

Brown, 34, had considered retirement and had feelers from a few other teams, but opted to return for a 14th season, all with the Patriots.

What has Brown done for the Pats during a long tenure that has included three Super Bowl championships? A little of everything.

The former Marshall star, an eighth-round choice in the 1993 draft, ranks as the second leading receiver in franchise history, with 514 catches for 5,982 yards and 27 touchdowns. And that's despite the fact Brown spent most of his early career as a punt returner, didn't start a game until his fifth season in the league, and didn't record double-digit starts until 2000.

He has averaged 10.5 yards and scored three touchdowns on 244 punt returns and has 87 kickoff returns for a 21.4-yard average. In 2004, with the New England secondary decimated by injuries, Brown played in the secondary for the first time in his career and posted three interceptions. He played cornerback at times in 2005 as well.

Certainly Brown, who came close to signing with New Orleans a year ago, has been a player symbolic of the Patriots' grit and resourcefulness the last few seasons.

In Neal, 29, the Pats have retained a self-made player, a five-year veteran who didn't play college football, was a two-time NCAA wrestling champion at Cal State-Bakersfield, but who has developed into one of the league's top guards. Neal was the No. 25 player in the ESPN.com free agent rankings.

Neal rarely got on the field early in his career but has started all but two games in the last two seasons.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

Neal was dominated by Tim Anderson in the Pats blowout win at the Ralph this past season. Anderson had 7 tackles, a pass deflection and ran right over Neal to throw down the RB for a 4 yard loss.

But since he plays for the Pats, he's great. :blush:

It's slim pickings in FA and the work must continue to find real help for the OL. If not, go crazy on Draft day.

I have to think that Marv and company really preferred Wells to Neal -- and that they thought with such a lucrative offer they never dreamed that the Cardinals would seriously match it. Yes, we all know that the Cardinals had more than enough cap room to do so, but I think Marv was banking that Bidwell would be to stingy to do so. He gambled and he lost... Oh, well.

641112[/snapback]

Wells has way more upside than Neal, that is why he got the offer and Neal didn't. Marv made an attempt to get the guy he wanted and he knew it has not a sure thing because Wells was an RFA.

Marv did not gamble and he did not lose anything, we are in the same postion either way. i am sure he could have got Neal if he offered more $. Nothing ventured, nothing gained