V For Vendetta

rockpile

It's not like I am a geek or anything, but I like Alan Moore, the writer (although he would have nothing to do with the movie). His ten issue mini-series for DC/Vertigo comics is about twenty years old and I remember liking it. So I dug through my archives (I save way too much stuff) and found the comics. I read them to get my bearings on the story again.

I have to say they did a very good job of moving the story into "today" (or the near future) so it was contemporary. I could nit pick some things and turn this into a comparison of the comic to the movie, but why?

The important thing is that the theme of the story was intact.

When you no longer fear death you are free.

You can kill a person but you cannot kill an idea.

People should not be afraid of their government, the government should fear the people!

Anarchy is not bad if people make good choices.

If the government is beyond saving, bring it down.

Last night I went to a free public preview at a theatre with a rather poor audio/video presentation. I found myself thinking about it all day. I wanted to clarify some things, so I went to a better theatre and saw it again tonight (gee, maybe I AM a geek). I just got home a while ago.

It is not as "dark" as I expected, but the acting by John Hurt and Natalie Portman (except for her attempt at a British accent) is superb. After Star Wars, I never thought Portman could be any good.

This is not the Matrix. This movie has violence and gore, but it is primarily political/philosophical - VERY heavy on dialogue, not non-stop action. It keeps you thinking, even as you leave the theatre to the Stones blasting Street Fighting Man.

8 out of 10

It's not like I am a geek or anything...

634222[/snapback]

Not even close. I knew nothing about the story (but am happy that it sounds like a god one) but I notice that (like the last Matrix movie) it is also showing in IMAX. Waiting to take a trip into the big city to catch it at an IMAX theatre.

It's not like I am a geek or anything, but I like Alan Moore, the writer (although he would have nothing to do with the movie). His ten issue mini-series for DC/Vertigo comics is about twenty years old and I remember liking it.  So I dug through my archives (I save way too much stuff) and found the comics. I read them to get my bearings on the story again.

I have to say they did a very good job of moving the story into "today" (or the near future) so it was contemporary. I could nit pick some things and turn this into a comparison of the comic to the movie, but why?

The important thing is that the theme of the story was intact.

When you no longer fear death you are free.

You can kill a person but you cannot kill an idea.

People should not be afraid of their government, the government should fear the people!

Anarchy is not bad if people make good choices.

If the government is beyond saving, bring it down.

Last night I went to a free public preview at a theatre with a rather poor audio/video presentation. I found myself thinking about it all day. I wanted to clarify some things, so I went to a better theatre and saw it again tonight (gee, maybe I AM a geek). I just got home a while ago.

It is not as "dark" as I expected, but the acting by John Hurt and Natalie Portman (except for her attempt at a British accent) is superb. After Star Wars, I never thought Portman could be any good.

This is not the Matrix. This movie has violence and gore, but it is primarily political/philosophical - VERY heavy on dialogue, not non-stop action. It keeps you thinking, even as you leave the theatre to the Stones blasting Street Fighting Man.

8 out of 10

634222[/snapback]

All that and a Guy Fawkes mask too! I can't wait to see this movie.

Rock, I had NO idea you are an old-school collector. We'll have to talk next time I'm up for a game...

My wife and I saw it last night. I walked out of that movie inspired and energized. One of the best movies I have ever seen regarding citizens shedding the fear that keeps their government in power. The packed theatre where we saw it stood up and cheered at the end. A powerfull indictment of a government that rules through fear.

My wife and I saw it last night.  I walked out of that movie inspired and energized.  One of the best movies I have ever seen regarding citizens shedding the fear that keeps their government in power.  The packed theatre where we saw it stood up and cheered at the end.  A powerfull indictment of a government that rules through fear.

635347[/snapback]

And using the "NATIONAL" media to promote the fears. Of course I know of one party that plays to peoples fear through the media. ;)

And using the "NATIONAL" media to promote the fears.  Of course I know of one party that plays to peoples fear through the media.      ;)

636153[/snapback]

You know ONE party that plays to people's fears? I can think of at least four.

But only ONE party is the voice for the 3 "National" news stations, and the ONE Major cable news station.

636223[/snapback]

Perhaps the most deluded and ignorant hoax being perpetuated today. So stupid it's laughable.