Offensive Line

Fabini has been starting at LT for what, 9 years? He started as a rookie under Parcells and ever since then the only way they could sit him down was due to two serious injuries last year. I can't beleive that people are saying he sucks! Lets be reasonable ... he does not suck.

Yesterday half of the board was screaming to get veterans like Fabini and Runyon in town! Today half the board considers him "someone elses garbage" and doesn't want him.

The way I see it is if we are going to build a strong line, one that will peak in the next few years, then we need 3 starters on this years line to be quality players that are going to be here for 4-5 years. That means replace Bennie, find a center, and try to replace either Gandy or Villarial. Gandy may be decent at LG, or he may be our only alternative at LT this year? I expect Peters to return and get better. One of our draft picks needs to be plugged in as a starter. Our current depth is crap, but maybe Preston is ready to start? So it would sure help if we can find a quality starter from free agency.

I am not in favor of Fabini or Runyon because we are not close enough talent wise to bother with recycling old vets to fill a hole. We need to develop people with some upside, not 2 year stop gaps. I just wonder why we are not talking to Ashworth, Neal, or some of the younger lineman?

Agreed. He has one injury plagued year and all of a sudden he sucks and is over the hill. Jets fans are stupid so don't go by what they are saying. IF HEALTY, Fabini would be a servicable player for a good 3-4 years. People screaming he sucks because he was injured need to get slapped upside the head. I prefer Runyon anyways but also agree we need to get somebody just entering their prime like Neal.

Fabini has been starting at LT for what, 9 years?  He started as a rookie under Parcells and ever since then the only way they could sit him down was due to two serious injuries last year.  I can't beleive that people are saying he sucks!  Lets be reasonable ... he does not suck.

Yesterday half of the board was screaming to get veterans like Fabini and Runyon in town!  Today half the board considers him "someone elses garbage" and doesn't want him.   

The way I see it is if we are going to build a strong line, one that will peak in the next few years, then we need 3 starters on this years line to be quality players that are going to be here for 4-5 years.  That means replace Bennie, find a center, and try to replace either Gandy or Villarial.  Gandy may be decent at LG,  or he may be our only alternative at LT this year?  I expect Peters to return and get better.  One of our draft picks needs to be plugged in as a starter.  Our current depth is crap, but maybe Preston is ready to start?  So it would sure help if we can find a quality starter from free agency.   

I am not in favor of Fabini or Runyon because we are not close enough talent wise to bother with recycling old vets to fill a hole.  We need to develop people with some upside, not 2 year stop gaps.  I just wonder why we are not talking to  Ashworth, Neal, or some of the younger lineman?

632932[/snapback]

wait... so you dont want us to sign old vets that are stop gaps for 2 years, but then you want fabini? :D

Fabini has been starting at LT for what, 9 years?  He started as a rookie under Parcells and ever since then the only way they could sit him down was due to two serious injuries last year.  I can't beleive that people are saying he sucks!   Lets be reasonable ... he does not suck.

Yesterday half of the board was screaming to get veterans like Fabini and Runyon in town!  Today half the board considers him "someone elses garbage" and doesn't want him.   

The way I see it is if we are going to build a strong line, one that will peak in the next few years, then we need 3 starters on this years line to be quality players that are going to be here for 4-5 years.  That means replace Bennie, find a center, and try to replace either Gandy or Villarial.  Gandy may be decent at LG,  or he may be our only alternative at LT this year?  I expect Peters to return and get better.  One of our draft picks needs to be plugged in as a starter.  Our current depth is crap, but maybe Preston is ready to start?  So it would sure help if we can find a quality starter from free agency.   

I am not in favor of Fabini or Runyon because we are not close enough talent wise to bother with recycling old vets to fill a hole.  We need to develop people with some upside, not 2 year stop gaps.  I just wonder why we are not talking to  Ashworth, Neal, or some of the younger lineman?

632932[/snapback]

I agree with you, we should be going after younger guys and building the team throught the draft. I don't have a problem with Fabini or Runyon, however, if we can get one at a reasonable price.

Anything to make the line less offensive, stop gap or not.

Build thru the draft. But you still need a good degree of stability while young guys mature, especially if you don't want to be in a perpetual rebuilding mode. If Fabini has anything left, it'll be better than what we've had of late.

wait... so you dont want us to sign old vets that are stop gaps for 2 years, but then you want fabini?  :D

632956[/snapback]

No that is not what I meant.

I commented on how some people are saying Fabini sucks when in fact he has had a very good career and as a starting LT. Not a pro bowler, but a good starter for many years. We don't know what is left in his tank.

Given that, and the fact that we have so many holes on the OL, I don't think that signing old vet for is best for us. We have so many needs on OL that is time to put younger players with upside in there.

I don't want Fabini AND I don't think it fair to say that he sucks either.

Fans also wanted Mularky and Donahoe gone

They hired Juron and they want Mularky back

Marv doesn't sign a big name (Bentley) and he goes with a couple of smaller "Under the Radar" guys so they want Donoahoe back

633280[/snapback]

Don't be retarded. I don't think ANYONE has asked for Donahoe back.