Interesting quotes from Def coaches interview

stevewin

Perry Fewell

PF: We are an attacking defense. It's an aggressive approach. We are going to be getting up the field with our defensive front and trying to create penetration and trying to cause havoc. We are going to let the linebackers run. That's what they do best. There are times in the ballgame that you take a more conservative approach but for the most part we are going to go after offenses.

:D

George Catavolos

To have the corners that we have and to have Troy Vincent in the middle of the field is a good nucleus to work with. Coy Wire and Rashad Baker are going to get an opportunity to compete at the strong safety position.

Bill Kollar

What does Larry Tripplett mean to helping the Bills stop the run?

BK: He is a one-gap quick guy and we want him to wreak havoc in the backfield. But we're not sitting here saying we're going to end up stopping the run just because we signed Larry Tripplett. It takes all 11 guys that are on the field.

Can Aaron Schobel be a dominate pass rusher?

BK: I know he's had a lot of sacks over the last few years and that he plays hard. We're hoping that he can play even better than he has. I really liked him when he came out in the draft. I wanted to draft him in St. Louis. He's a pretty good player.

Not exactly glowing :D Didn't even use "high motor"... :(

Are you looking for some bulk inside to complete the guys you have?

BK: How our scheme is set up I don't think you need a guy that is 350 or 400 pounds to stop the run. In St. Louis we had a guy that was 280 pounds and they didn't run on him. You've got to play with leverage and you've got to run to the ball. It takes all 11 guys to stop the run. The defensive tackles get blamed for getting ripped but you've got linebackers behind them and you've got safeties behind them. It takes everybody to be in the right gaps, playing the correct technique and running to the football. If somebody does break out you want somebody there to track him down. But some teams feel opposite and want that guy there that is 350 or 375. We don't feel that way. We want our guys in good condition where they can play an entire game and run to the ball every snap.

Also more high praise for Jauron - consistent with what we've heard from players/ coaches throughout. Granted - some of it may be sucking up to the boss - but they could have just not said anything.

Def coach interview

Sounds good, but doesn't mean squat until it translates to on-field play. It all starts with the attitude and preparation, though, so I'm glad to hear the coaches saying what they are. I just hope this doesn't end up being 2001 all over again.

Bill Kollar, 17th Year in the NFL

BK: "How our scheme is set up I don't think you need a guy that is 350 or 400 pounds to stop the run. In St. Louis we had a guy that was 280 pounds and they didn't run on him. ....

We want our guys in good condition where they can play an entire game and run to the ball every snap."

Maybe this is a draft diversion, but I see it as a real clue the Bills are not looking for another big load who can't play every down aka Sam Adams. Ngata doesn't seem to fit the style of defense the Bills want. Aggressive and quick.

We'll see.

Bill Kollar, 17th Year in the NFL

BK: "How our scheme is set up I don't think you need a guy that is 350 or 400 pounds to stop the run. In St. Louis we had a guy that was 280 pounds and they didn't run on him. ....

We want our guys in good condition where they can play an entire game and run to the ball every snap."

Maybe this is a draft diversion, but I see it as a real clue the Bills are not looking for another big load who can't play every down aka Sam Adams. Ngata doesn't seem to fit the style of defense the Bills want. Aggressive and quick.

We'll see.

632924[/snapback]

Im starting to really believe the Bills asked Pickett about his weight. Rumors are that he is around 330lbs now. Maybe the Bills wanted him to lose weight, and thats why he left without meeting with reporters.

Im starting to really believe the Bills asked Pickett about his weight.  Rumors are that he is around 330lbs now.  Maybe the Bills wanted him to lose weight, and thats why he left without meeting with reporters.

633043[/snapback]

...and secretly went to mighty taco to eat away his worries. I had a friend there who ate lunch with him...

I like what I heard, that they didnt make schobel out to be a great defensive end and that he can be better, and realizing the importance of getting pressure with your dline. Taking a guess off these quotes Broderick Bunkley seems to fit the bill of the type of dlinemen we'll draft, he can be our version of tommie harris. You dont have to be a wide body to stop the run, just penetrate gaps and run to the ball and you can stop the run just as well. The old school type 330+ dt's we had were nice, but they were exactaly helping us get interior pressure. Also very pleased to hear Rashad Baker will get a chance to compete for the ss spot.

I like what I heard,  that they didnt make schobel out to be a great defensive end and that he can be better, and realizing the importance of getting pressure with your dline. Taking a guess off these quotes Broderick Bunkley seems to fit the bill of the type of dlinemen we'll draft, he can be our version of tommie harris.  You dont have to be a wide body to stop the run, just penetrate gaps and run to the ball and you can stop the run just as well.  The old school type 330+ dt's we had were nice, but they were exactaly helping us get interior pressure.  Also very pleased to hear Rashad Baker will get a chance to compete for the ss spot.

633059[/snapback]

My thoughts exactly. I think it's interesting that everyone has been saying or assuming that a fat DT is required to 'complement' the "fast 1 gap" DT - and Kollar comes right out and says they (or he anyway) think "the opposite". That's pretty significant IMHO