Redskins sign Archuletta too...

ACor58

The cap can be worked many different ways...and there is no cap to hire coaches thus there will almost ALWAYS be separation between the bigger and smaller clubs.

626690[/snapback]

I agree with you, but the Redskins went from not being able to get under the $96MM cap to having a field day. There are lots of different ways to practice accounting...Worldcom, Enron, Global Crossing, Health South, Adelphia, etc.

I am questioning whether the Redskins are on the up and up.

You could put a cardboard cut out of him back there with Sean Taylor and still have the best pair of safties in the NFL.

626693[/snapback]

They might need a Sean Taylor cardboard cut out if he ends up in the clink.

I agree with you, but the Redskins went from not being able to get under the $96MM cap to having a field day. There are lots of different ways to practice accounting...Worldcom, Enron, Global Crossing, Health South, Adelphia, etc.

I am questioning whether the Redskins are on the up and up.

626694[/snapback]

Do the Redskins backload and shelve out a lot on their contracts, meaning more $ then other teams do? Im thinking they backload a lot and spread that out over other years...Im not a capologist by any means...but there must be something they are doing (legal or illegial) that is allowing them to sign players EVERY year.

Do the Redskins backload and shelve out a lot on their contracts, meaning more $ then other teams do?  Im thinking they backload a lot and spread that out over other years...Im not a capologist by any means...but there must be something they are doing (legal or illegial) that is allowing them to sign players EVERY year.

626698[/snapback]

they backload, simple as that......big bonuses (to get the player) that are spread out throughout the life of the contract with small salaries the first few years........when it comes time for the big salaries they either restructure or cut the player, taking the dead money hit........

the redskins benefited not just from the CBA extension (and the extra 10 or so millon that came with that) but also from lavar buying his way out of the deal......by giving them back 4M in signing bonus that is 4M that didn't have to hit their cap........that right there will almost pay for the first year cap numbers of archuletta and randal-el.......

rag on danny all you want for spending the cash, but he ain't cheating.......he's just working the cap and shelling out big bonuses..........

The accounting is done at the league office. Every contract is approved by the league ensuring that teams do not exceed the cap. The Redskins are just a team that makes big bets that the cap will expand faster than they can spend. A bet they almost lost!

1. Lavar gave them about $4 M in cap relief

2. They cut Matt Bowen (freed $2 M), Walt Harris (freed $2 M), Cory Raymer (freed about $950 K), Brandon Noble (freed about $1.5M), and Tom Tupa (freed $600 K). All told, that freed up about $7 M.

The above moves, coupled with the expansion of the cap by $7.5 M was enough to get them under the new cap in time. On top of that, they also approached a number of players, inlcuding Jon Jenson and Shawn Springs about restucturing their contracts to free up more cap space. Between those two players alone, they could have freed up several million dollars.

So, I have no doubts that what they've done is legit. Of course, you can question the intelligence of giving guys like Randle El and Archuletta so much cash.

1. Lavar gave them about $4 M in cap relief

2. They cut Matt Bowen (freed $2 M), Walt Harris (freed $2 M), Cory Raymer (freed about $950 K), Brandon Noble (freed about $1.5M), and Tom Tupa (freed $600 K).  All told, that freed up about $7 M.

The above moves, coupled with the expansion of the cap by $7.5 M was enough to get them under the new cap in time. On top of that, they also approached a number of players, inlcuding Jon Jenson and Shawn Springs about restucturing their contracts to free up more cap space. Between those two players alone, they could have freed up several million dollars.

So, I have no doubts that what they've done is legit. Of course, you can question the intelligence of giving guys like Randle El and Archuletta so much cash.

626765[/snapback]

Weren't they like 23 million or so over the cap at the beginning of all of this though?

I am sorry but the NFL really needs to look at the Redskins books. I would not be suprised if there is some questionable accouting going on in DC

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/foot...e.ap/index.html

626687[/snapback]

Don't forget: they're located in the place where money is printed and probably picked up all the Rigas' people who beat the wrap and are still in the accounting business. The city is awash in money, much of it under the table. :(

Weren't they like 23 million or so over the cap at the beginning of all of this though?

626769[/snapback]

At one time they were, but that was before all of the moves I mentioned and the expanded cap. I know that they reworked Mark Brunell's contract even prior to the Arrington release that reportedly saved about $2 M. The Arrington pay-back, freed up another $4 M. The released players I mentioned further freed up about $7 M. So, right there, that is: 2+4+7+7.5(cap expansion) = $20.5 M. I haven't heard the particulars on the negotiations with Jensen and Springs (among others), but if both players, say, converted their base pay and roster bonuses in 2006 to a single signing bonus that could be spread out, then the team could have saved as much as $3-4 M per player.