Has Moulds been cut? Deadline has passed,

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills can take their time with Moulds.  If they need the cap space, they can then cut him loose.

623812[/snapback]

Why take the time? Cut him now. It's not like the Bills are one player from a Super Bowl. Even so, he was there last year and he didn't produce much. The Bills need to rebuild (regrettably) and that means Moulds is not a part of the future. Let's face facts - the $10.8 cap hit for Moulds is ridiculous. Half of that can be saved when he's cut.

Cut him now and use that space to fill other huge needs - like both lines!!!!!

Here's a very good objective analysis on the Moulds situation.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/2006/03/0...our-downs/3727/

Why take the time? Cut him now. It's not like the Bills are one player from a Super Bowl. Even so, he was there last year and he didn't produce much. The Bills need to rebuild (regrettably) and that means Moulds is not a part of the future. Let's face facts - the $10.8 cap hit for Moulds is ridiculous. Half of that can be saved when he's cut.

Cut him now and use that space to fill other huge needs - like both lines!!!!!

Here's a very good objective analysis on the Moulds situation.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/2006/03/0...our-downs/3727/

624017[/snapback]

Again, there's no hurry. They can sign FAs NOW. If they need the $ to sign someone, they can cut Moulds then. They may get EM to take a pay may get something in trade. Why should they cut him NOW? To make you happy? :lol:

As a sort of respect to a guy who has served them for 10 years and who

deserves to get a shot early on in the FA, if he is not going to be in their

plans.

It would be the kind of thing they could do, but they don't have to.

What purpose will it achieve if they are going to cut him June knowing in

March that he was not in their plans...They did it to Drew Bledsoe, and also

wish they had done it to Travis Henry....I definitely wish they do it to

Moulds...

623948[/snapback]

In the case of Drew and Travis they were not in the plans. Their successors had already been chosen, it was a matter of how they would be shuttled off. That's not the case with Moulds. Marv said he wants to keep Moulds, so if they can afford to (especially now with the extra cap space), and a better alternative does not come up (and, as the article mentions, the pickings are slim), then it might be 'cheaper to keep him.' And as long as they can afford to keep him he can always be trade bait. I doubt they'll be out there shopping him, but if someone comes calling, especially approaching the draft, he might be useful that way.

I'd like to see Eric stay with the team. I don't think he's worth the cap cost, but he still draws the double-teams (whether he deserves them or not), and we need a solid 1/2 pair (even if Eric becomes the 2). That said, this is a business, and as much as I would hate to see him go, I'd hate more to hear that sentimentality played into when and how he departed from the team. If he's going and you can get value out of him, get it. If he's staying as a "last resort," so be it.

With the increase in the cap, Bills can resign Moulds, put some of the money in an upfront roster bonus, thus reducing his impact on the cap long term. He is a solid receiver who brings respect from opposing secondaires and acts as a mentor to younger receivers. I think there is a lot of sentimentality on wanting to keep Moulds, but he can still be a solid contributor for the next few seasons.

With the increase in the cap, Bills can resign Moulds, put some of the money in an upfront roster bonus, thus reducing his impact on the cap long term.  He is a solid receiver who brings respect from opposing secondaires and acts as a mentor to younger receivers.  I think there is a lot of sentimentality on wanting to keep Moulds, but he can still be a solid contributor for the next few seasons.

624344[/snapback]

A roster bonus would not reduce the long-term cap impact. In the long term, the money you pay a player is equal to cap hit. A roster bonus merely pushes the cap hit into some future year is all.

With the increased cap, there's less urgency to cut Moulds. You could do so if A) his replacement was already on the roster, or B) the Bills needed the Moulds cap space to sign younger, better players at other positions (such as Bentley), or C) if you had a younger player such as Parrish that you wanted to give a starting position to.

But barring one of these three things, it might make sense to keep Moulds for now. Not that I'm the least bit happy about paying him $7 million in new money for just one year of football. There's no way Moulds is worth that.

A roster bonus would not reduce the long-term cap impact. In the long term, the money you pay a player is equal to cap hit. A roster bonus merely pushes the cap hit into some future year is all.

Hummmm, here i thought a roster bonus was a non-amortized bonus, unlike a signing bonus. Wasn't the deal with Winfield's contract with Minny that he took his bonus as a roster bonus rather than a signing bonus because Minny had tons of space under the cap last year? In which case, wouldn't a roster bonus reduce long-term cap impact (at the very big cost this year?)

With the increased cap, there's less urgency to cut Moulds. You could do so if A) his replacement was already on the roster, or B) the Bills needed the Moulds cap space to sign younger, better players at other positions (such as Bentley), or C) if you had a younger player such as Parrish that you wanted to give a starting position to.

But barring one of these three things, it might make sense to keep Moulds for now. Not that I'm the least bit happy about paying him $7 million in new money for just one year of football. There's no way Moulds is worth that.

624365[/snapback]

Heaven forbid I actually kinda agree with you on something, but there's a first for everything I guess... :lol:

What's a pay may?

Its the smart thing to do.

Yes.

624206[/snapback]

"pay may" :lol:

"pay cut" is clearly what I was going for.

But, no need to do it til you need to do it...that's the SMART thing to do.

Hummmm, here i thought a roster bonus was a non-amortized bonus, unlike a signing bonus.  Wasn't the deal with Winfield's contract with Minny that he took his bonus as a roster bonus rather than a signing bonus because Minny had tons of space under the cap last year?  In which case, wouldn't a roster bonus reduce long-term cap impact (at the very big cost this year?)

I don't know whether you're right about roster bonuses hitting the cap 100% this year. What the original poster was suggesting was converting some of Moulds' base salary into roster bonus. So assuming you're right about how roster bonuses work, there'd be no cap consequences one way or the other. Either way, the full $7 million we're paying Moulds in salary hits the cap this year.

My point was that if you paid Moulds the $7 million now, but put off the cap hit for some of that money until later, you'd still get hit with the full $7 million over the long run.

Heaven forbid I actually kinda agree with you on something, but there's a first for everything I guess...  :lol:

It's a sign you're getting smarter! :lol:

Again, the timing on Moulds depends on when and if there is a roster bonus due. Usually, these bonuses are due in the first week of free agency and are the triggers for a club to decide whether they will keep the player for the season or not.

Moulds' cap hit is what it is (included the roster bonus, if there is one), and Bills can afford to sit on him for a while. However, if there's a roster bonus due sometime this week and he hasn't agreed to a restructure, then he will be cut just before that roster bonus is due.

As always, there's usually a big difference between the cap hit and the check that RW has to write.

Or a sign that you're having a rare lucid moment...rare for limp noodles, but it happens. :lol:

624507[/snapback]

Even a blind squirrel finds the occasional acorn.