Goodbye Coy Wire

The problem with cutting Wire is that Lawyer Milloy's already been cut. So we'd have to sign two SSs.

622463[/snapback]

I think the traditional prototype of the SS is changing with the recent rules interpretation allowing receivers more leeway. Emphasizing the inside running game gains in importance. JMO.

I guess you missed the game when he broke the collar bone of the starting RB (stwart?) for Detroit a couple years back? That hit was solid and I do not care what his eyes look like when you bring it like that.  :)

622408[/snapback]

:D:lol:

My favorite CWAC response - bringing up the one single memorable tackle Wire had in a preseason game over two years ago against an ancient RB and somehow projecting that to the fact he is a great tackler/player. Even a crappy safety finds a tackle once in a while. The problem is sometimes the bad old opponents actually move around a bit - something which really works out Coy's high motor neck muscles as his head snaps back and forth trying to get a glimpse of the play as it whizzes by him.

I guess you missed the scores of other missed tackles and assignments he has consistently made every time he has been on the field his whole career. Marv will truly earn my respect if he cuts the strings on this one.

The key thing to me about the special TEAM is that this TEAM finiished ranked #1 statistically in the NFL the last two years in a row.

However, Coy Wire has statistically finished #11 on the # 1 ST squad.

Cut him and move on. Christ, even Fake Fat Sunny has to flush the toilet once in awhile.

621733[/snapback]

He is consistently double teamed, which means someone else is unblocked, that is very important.

And from what I saw he was always near the play.

If the price is right, keep him.

Coy Wire will never be a starter in the nfl again, or at least he shouldnt be. He's bad in coverage, he's not good supporting the run, for a backup he's ok, and his st's play isn't all it's cracked up to be. Angelo Crowell and Sam Aiken imo are more important to the st's. Keeping Coy Wire around cause he's simply on our st's is not a good reason. St's players come and go every year, and this draft is a good draft to get quality safeties. Coy Wire's production or lack there of can easily be replaced.

I know that folks tend to be extreme one way or another on the internet )in many cases to make up for the fact they cannot be extreme at all in real life because their boss or spouse might yell at them), but if ever there was a player where reality cried out foa more balanced nuanced view it is regarding Coy Wire.

He is neither as good as folks like GW/JG offered him up as beomg when they foolishly had to utilize him at a position he had never played at any level of organized ball.

Other the other hand, he is not as worthless as some claim he is never making a tackle and with no value whatsoever.

From watching Wire throughout his career as a pro, this is my sense of his play:

1. Minuses (we might as well start with those as I think he most likely will get an offer from elsewhere of a raise which I hope we do not match.

A. Horribly cast and misused as a starting SS. His coverage skills most linked from what I see to an inability to make proper reads as a safety were abominable.

B. A bit undiciplined at time with the hit making him look like a moden version of Kurt Schulz.

C. Never makes highlight reel plays we expect from an ST stalwart (and actually demand as we were spoiled by the presence of Steve Tasker.

2. Pluses

A. Good leadership skills as shown by him being designated by the intelligent and great coach Bobby April as an ST captain. He has been a stalwart in supporting local not for profits.

B. Has no fear of making a big hit (though as I mentioned has sometimes shown a lack of discipline about it that has led to some bad misses fortunately to little bad impact on ST).

C. Actually has more speed than folks give this white guy credit for and definitiely has that constant motor the Bills liked.

D. A lot of experience on ST which should not be discounted after we lost a playoff game onm the Homerun Throw-up cause young ST folks did not stay in their lanes.

Overall, Wire logged a lot of PT with an ST unit which was very successful. He appears to be a nice guy with character which is reasonably not to be confused with on field performance, but also should not be discounted on a team where charcter and sommitment were sometimes issues.

Can Wire be replaced with another player?

Yes, he certainly can. The fact that he has shown little production and a bunch of pass coverage mistakes as a position player and has made mistakes and sometimes shown a lack of disciplined play on the field (such as his rouighing the kicker penalty against Cincy a couple of years back) means a more solid player should be findble.

Has a credible replacement for Wire been suggested by anyone bitchin about him?

Not that I have seen (but I have not read everything).

Look, if Wire stays at little or no raise I have no problem with that. he has been an often used player on a very sucessful ST and that is simply the reality. If the market offers him a big raise then I wish him well and ask him not to let the door hit him on the way out.

However, if we can get him for about the same cap hit (particularly with the cap going way up) I have no problem keeping him and having the coaches work wuth him to impove the coverage part of his game if he pressed into service in his back-up role and to translate the leadership that he has shown on the team and in the community into consistent disciplined play and even a few plys worthy of the highlight reel.

He is no where near the player we originally hoped for, but certainly a part of this was his inappropriate usage on the GW led team (where both he an the on paper talented Raion Hill simply proved not be up to the Blaine Bishop performance needed from the SS in a GW D and the poor training and development he received at the hands of the GW led crew.

I think he can be replaced (unfortunately his replacement is not on the team as other ST stalwarts alteady have roles and folks like Haggan are not fast enough or Aiken is not hitter enough) Anyone can complain and whine about him, but the thing that would actually make a post of him useful is identification of a player worth t to pick-up to replace. his body will not be someone drafted because they have no experienc. Spending cap money on ab ST player is probably not the best use if funds, but if somone can identify a player who can actually lead and whose play on coverage and returns merits the occaisional highlight footage, then this type of player may be worth the exoenditure that Wore does not merit.

This thread makes me wonder why so many posters want Adam Archuleta- who has been living off reputation after one good year, he is VERY similiar to Wire, especially his coverage skills.

I know that folks tend to be extreme one way or another on the internet )in many cases to make up for the fact they cannot be extreme at all in real life because their boss or spouse might yell at them), but if ever there was a player where reality cried out foa more balanced nuanced view it is regarding Coy Wire.

He is neither as good as folks like GW/JG offered him up as beomg when they foolishly had to utilize him at a position he had never played at any level of organized ball.

Other the other hand, he is not as worthless as some claim he is never making a tackle and with no value whatsoever.

From watching Wire throughout his career as a pro, this is my sense of his play:

1. Minuses (we might as well start with those as I think he most likely will get an offer from elsewhere of a raise which I hope we do not match.

A. Horribly cast and misused as a starting SS.  His coverage skills most linked from what I see to an inability to make proper reads as a safety were abominable.

B. A bit undiciplined at time with the hit making him look like a moden version of Kurt Schulz.

C. Never makes highlight reel plays we expect from an ST stalwart (and actually demand as we were spoiled by the presence of Steve Tasker.

2. Pluses

A. Good leadership skills as shown by him being designated by the intelligent and great coach Bobby April as an ST captain.  He has been a stalwart in supporting local not for profits.

B. Has no fear of making a big hit (though as I mentioned has sometimes shown a lack of discipline about it that has led to some bad misses fortunately to little bad impact on ST).

C. Actually has more speed than folks give this white guy credit for and definitiely has that constant motor the Bills liked.

D. A lot of experience on ST which should not be discounted after we lost a playoff game onm the Homerun Throw-up cause young ST folks did not stay in their lanes.

Overall, Wire logged a lot of PT with an ST unit which was very successful.  He appears to be a nice guy with character which is reasonably not to be confused with on field performance, but also should not be discounted on a team where charcter and sommitment were sometimes issues.

Can Wire be replaced with another player?

Yes, he certainly can. The fact that he has shown little production and a bunch of pass coverage mistakes as a position player and has made mistakes and sometimes shown a lack of disciplined play on the field (such as his rouighing the kicker penalty against Cincy a couple of years back) means a more solid player should be findble.

Has a credible replacement for Wire been suggested by anyone bitchin about him?

Not that I have seen (but I have not read everything).

Look, if Wire stays at little or no raise I have no problem with that.  he has been an often used player on a very sucessful ST and that is simply the reality.  If the market offers him a big raise then I wish him well and ask him not to let the door hit him on the way out.

However, if we can get him for about the same cap hit (particularly with the cap going way up) I have no problem keeping him and having the coaches work wuth him to impove the coverage part of his game if he pressed into service in his back-up role and to translate the leadership that he has shown on the team and in the community into consistent disciplined play and even a few plys worthy of the highlight reel.

He is no where near the player we originally hoped for, but certainly a part of this was his inappropriate usage on the GW led team (where both he an the on paper talented Raion Hill simply proved not be up to the Blaine Bishop performance needed from the SS in a GW D and the poor training and development he received at the hands of the GW led crew.

I think he can be replaced (unfortunately his replacement is not on the team as other ST stalwarts alteady have roles and folks like Haggan are not fast enough or Aiken is not hitter enough)  Anyone can complain and whine about him, but the thing that would actually make a post of him useful is identification of a player worth t to pick-up to replace.  his body will not be someone drafted because they have no experienc.  Spending cap money on ab ST player is probably not the best use if funds, but if somone can identify a player who can actually lead and whose play on coverage and returns merits the occaisional highlight footage, then this type of player may be worth the exoenditure that Wore does not merit.

622641[/snapback]

Jesus Christ you must be the fastest typer of all time. Your post always seem very informative, knowledgable, and well researched but I have to admit I only read about a third of them because they are so freaking long. Don't your hands ever cramp up :) ?

Jesus Christ you must be the fastet typer of all time.  Your post always seem very informative, knowledgable, and well researched but I have to admit I only read about a third of them because they are so freaking long.  Don't your hands ever cramp up :) ?

622659[/snapback]

Not exactly. He/she is attempting to make up for having no opinion of worth with Stephen-King verbosity.

Would you ever really want coy wire on the field?

622487[/snapback]

There are a lot of guys on the current roster that I don't want on the field. Can they all be upgraded in one off-season? I don't think they can be. If the Bills have two free agents they want to sign at SS--both of whom would be better than Wire--then fine. Do it, assuming the value is there in terms of cap space. But if you're drafting a backup SS because you cut Wire . . . well, maybe that draft pick should have been put to better use than upgrading the backup SS. This team has needs almost everywhere.

Wasn't he not a CB before became SS, and didn't knock the crap out of people. I thought that was what he used to be cause I remeber i like him a lot back a couple years ago. I remember he lost his job to Clements or some because of injuy, right. If thats the guy I remember I don't see why he souldn't get a shot at the 3-4 D.

Guest BackInDaDay
Wasn't he not a CB before became SS, and didn't knock the crap out of people. I thought that was what he used to be cause I remeber i like him a lot back a couple years ago. I remember he lost his job to Clements or some because of injuy, right. If thats the guy I remember I don't see why he souldn't get a shot at the 3-4 D.

622841[/snapback]

This reminds me of the line in the Chris Rock movie, "I don't know if it's drugs you're takin', or drugs you should be takin'..." :)

Wire was a solid 1000 yard Stanford RB who converted to LB.

Due to his size and athletic ability he was considered a better pro-prospect at the safety spot. We drafted him as a strongside safety.

He's actually a pretty good backup Strong Safety.  Remember he did start I think 2 years before Milloy came to Buffalo.  Wire wasn't half bad. :)

621769[/snapback]

He also wasn't half good.