ESPNews Reports

More stuff...

Negotations have broken off about half an hour ago. Players said the deal is dead. Gene Upshaw is headed back to Washington DC, and unless someone wants to be a "hero"...he's leaving and its not going to happen.

Someone get the razor away from Danny Snyder!

Interesting thing was just said though...mentioned that while 2007 is probably going to be "uncapped", there is no doubt that a salary cap will exist in the NFL when a new deal is reached...whenever the hell that is.

That ticks me off. Even if the talks are going nowhere today, and the deadline was extended until tomorrow evening, why the hell is Upshaw leaving. Stay there and keep negotiations going. Take a break when you have to, then go back at it until tomorrow when it is completely over.

Too much freakin' posturing. :lol:

This is what KFFL.com reported, after reporting the above story:

NFL | Labor talks to resume Sunday

Sat, 4 Mar 2006 14:40:19 -0800

Updating an ongoing storyline, the Associated Press reports the NFL and NFLPA agreed to resume talks Sunday, March 5, after the two sides broke off talks Saturday, March 4. "No progress has been made, but we expect more discussions to take place before Sunday night," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said.

and in news that really matters, pat tillman's case has been reopened as a criminal investigation...

ok back to news about greedy players and owners who can't agree on how many billions to shift here or there...

This is what KFFL.com reported, after reporting the above story:

618215[/snapback]

What a bunch of fuggin pansies. heres gene upshaw..."waaah, i'm taking ym ball and going home." then 5 minutes later. "Can you guys play tomorrow?"

Fugg Gene Upshaw (mostly), and fugg the high revenue owners.

What a bunch of fuggin pansies. heres gene upshaw..."waaah, i'm taking ym ball and going home." then 5 minutes later. "Can you guys play tomorrow?"

Fugg Gene Upshaw (mostly), and fugg the high revenue owners.

618220[/snapback]

Dont try to blame the Players on this one ......They will not talk until All money will be included in Salary cap ...........so tell the Greedy 5 to take one for the NFl and agree to all money made go into the pot to be counted period. Once thats done this Cba will be done in an instant ......... :lol:

Dont try to blame the Players on this one ......They will not talk until All money will be included in Salary cap ...........so tell the Greedy 5 to take one for the NFl and agree to all money made go into the pot to be counted period. Once thats done this Cba will be done in an instant ......... :lol:

618249[/snapback]

Why exactly are the players entitled to a percentage of all money? As for the owners it is important that they keep an even playing field. I also think that Kraft made a good point about the fact that he paid for his stadium, as a few others have, while others have had stadiums handed to them by their host cities. What is a fair percentage of overall revenues that they should be sharing? Does Kraft make a good point in saying that if he has to share all of his revenues then shouldn't other owners share in his stadium costs?

Why exactly are the players entitled to a percentage of all money? As for the owners it is important that they keep an even playing field. I also think that Kraft made a good point about the fact that he paid for his stadium, as a few others have, while others have had stadiums handed to them by their host cities. What is a fair percentage of overall revenues that they should be sharing? Does Kraft make a good point in saying that if he has to share all of his revenues then shouldn't other owners share in his stadium costs?

618327[/snapback]

Moreover, shouldn't players also ASSume some of the debt like the owners do? And, maybe the players can throw in their appearance fees into the kitty also, since they want to discuss ALL sources of revenue.

618327[/snapback]

They are not entitled to a % of total revenues it at all. They have no right to a certain level of compemsation at all.

However, they do have a right to organize as the NFLPA if they choose to or to decerttify the NFLPA as their bargaining agent and instead simply negotiate individually in the free market if they choose to.

The owners also have a right to bargain individually in the free market if they choose to OR in our society they have the right to offer financial inducements to the players to form an entity such as the NFLPA to negotiate with the team owners.

The players assert no right whatsoever to receive a % of the total revenue. However, as Americans under our system they do have a right to accept or reject an offer from the team owners to bargain together as the NFLPA or to reject any offer that they do not judge meets their hoals and instead negotiate in a free market.

Do you object to any of these rights?

That ticks me off. Even if the talks are going nowhere today, and the deadline was extended until tomorrow evening, why the hell is Upshaw leaving. Stay there and keep negotiations going. Take a break when you have to, then go back at it until tomorrow when it is completely over.

Too much freakin' posturing. :lol:

618207[/snapback]

Upshaw leaving does move the negotiations forward as best as I can tell from the press reports.

Yhe actual negotiations occuring right now are between the majority of the owners who are willing to accept a deal that the NFLPA wants which will give them around 60% of the total gross receipts.

They are at odds with a minority of owners apparently comprised of folks like Dan Snyder who have more $ than anyone and will not take the around 60% deal apparently because he refuses to be pushed into something even if it guarantees him big profits since he already has $ to burn. In addition the minority party of owners apparently has folks like Jerry Jones driving it because in addition to being rich he simply objects to being pushed into anything (even if it gives him a lot of profits.

Ny leaving town and declaring things over Upshaw gives the majority faction of owners more leverage to try to beat down folks like Snyder and Jones.

They are not entitled to a % of total revenues it at all. They have no right to a certain level of compemsation at all.

However, they do have a right to organize as the NFLPA if they choose to or to decerttify the NFLPA as their bargaining agent and instead simply negotiate individually in the free market if they choose to.

The owners also have a right to bargain individually in the free market if they choose to OR in our society they have the right to offer financial inducements to the players to form an entity such as the NFLPA to negotiate with the team owners.

The players assert no right whatsoever to receive a % of the total revenue.  However, as Americans under our system they do have a right to accept or reject an offer from the team owners to bargain together as the NFLPA or to reject any offer that they do not judge meets their hoals and instead negotiate in a free market.

Do you object to any of these rights?

618338[/snapback]

I don't disagree with any of those rights at all, in fact it makes me proud to be an American where we have these rights!

I was simply saying that a lot of people seem to think that the players have a god given right to that money and all of this is the owners fault. I think that some of the owners are being short sighted, greedy and are letting their testosterone take control of their decision making process. The players better be careful not to get too short sighted or greedy like some of the owners, or it may just come back to bite them in the ass.

Upshaw talking about never going back to a cap if the current CBA is not extended is very short sighted. I understand the posturing he is doing and he is trying to put pressure on the owners to get their chit together. But if the cap disappears so too does the stability of the strongest sports league in the world. It may be nice for the top players who WILL get paid, but the majority of the players will not have that luxury. The NFL has grown stronger in terms of revenue and popularity because of the level playing field. Take away that levity and you'll soon have the league losing small market teams and fans. A smaller number of teams means less players, less viewers and less revenue.

The tide turns again. I'll believe it when I see it, although the quotes from Upshaw, if true, seem very promising.

NFL | Labor deal getting close?

Sun, 5 Mar 2006 06:32:39 -0800

Mark Maske, of the Washington Post, reports the NFL's labor negotiations took a dramatic turn overnight. Participants said the two sides were close to completing a deal. Gene Upshaw, the executive director of the NFL Players Association, said via e-mail early this morning that the parties had scheduled another meeting in New York and were "now in the area where we will get a deal. I think it may be there. It comes down to a few final points." The talks ended yesterday with the owners offering 56.6 percent of an expanded pool of league revenues to the players as compensation under a salary-cap system. Upshaw had dropped his demand that the players receive at least 60 percent, but he would not specify exactly what percentage his latest proposal called for. Owners have said they could complete a labor deal with the players without finishing a revenue-sharing agreement immediately. The compromise might be a provision in the labor deal to limit the amount of money that teams can spend above the flexible salary cap. A labor settlement would push next season's salary cap as high as $108 million per team and would alleviate the salary cap crunches being experienced by many teams.