I think this team has forgotten how to win.

Think about it. When's the last time the Bills had a winning season?

Wade's second to last season.

Winning is a habit and so is losing. Right now, the Bills have a losing habit.

45305[/snapback]

We need to buck this trend and damn soon!!!

45305[/snapback]

And just two games into the 2004 season gives little hope that they've turned the corner.

I haven't given up on this year's squad, but it's hard to see given their performance so far how they're significantly better than last year's model. Certainly the off season acquisitions weren't overly impressive. Coaching probably is better - at least on the Offensive side of the ball.

It would be great to have some meaningful games in December.

45305[/snapback]

Interesting thought JSP. I was talking to a fellow fan during the Raiders game, and I made the comment that although we have guys who can make some bigtime plays on both sides of the ball, it almost seems like they're playing "small."

Too many missed opportunities, but I gotta' believe that all of these guys haven't forgotten how to play their position. I'm thinking (hoping) that they'll breakout against the Pats, and the confidence will spread throughout the team. It seems to me that the players lack that right now.

Interesting thought JSP.  I was talking to a fellow fan during the Raiders game, and I made the comment that although we have guys who can make some bigtime plays on both sides of the ball, it almost seems like they're playing "small."

Too many missed opportunities, but I gotta' believe that all of these guys haven't forgotten how to play their position.  I'm thinking (hoping) that they'll breakout against the Pats, and the confidence will spread throughout the team.  It seems to me that the players lack that right now.

45317[/snapback]

I think this group has to actually win a game before we can say that they "forgot" how to win. :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

Interesting thought JSP.  I was talking to a fellow fan during the Raiders game, and I made the comment that although we have guys who can make some bigtime plays on both sides of the ball, it almost seems like they're playing "small."

Too many missed opportunities, but I gotta' believe that all of these guys haven't forgotten how to play their position.  I'm thinking (hoping) that they'll breakout against the Pats, and the confidence will spread throughout the team.  It seems to me that the players lack that right now.

45317[/snapback]

"Coming up small." Think BADOL mentioned that a couple of days ago, and it got me to thinking.... as did the "Empire Retro" broadcasts this weekend (right now they're showing the Thurman Show from the '93 Steelers playoff game)...

I started flipping through the ol' copy of Relentless, to see just how many of those clutch performances I could find from the goold old days, and there were even more than I remembered. Whether it was Freddy Smerlas blocking the FG in '88 so Norwood could beat the Jets in OT, or Kelly's dive into the EZ in '89, or Frank Reich and Kenny Davis stepping up bigtime in the 'Comeback Game', this team was loaded with guys who more often than not made the big play when we needed it most.

Now, until they prove me wrong, we've got a bunch of guys who can make the big hit on a first-down play in the second quarter (and then dance around to make sure everyone knows who it was), but when it comes down to THE play at the end of the game? When we need just one more defensive stop, or a clutch catch to keep a drive going? We've seen guys on other teams make plays like that, but where are OUR playmakers?

I want somebody with this mindset:

"We needed a big play. Somebody had to make it, and I didn't want to wait around for anyone else."

"When it comes down to it, when you have to make the big play, you make it. I just said 'Guys, I know we can do it, let's put it all together.' "

We used to have guys like that, but now I'm not so sure. I really, really hope they prove me wrong....

"Coming up small." Think BADOL mentioned that a couple of days ago, and it got me to thinking.... as did the "Empire Retro" broadcasts this weekend (right now they're showing the Thurman Show from the '93 Steelers playoff game)...

I started flipping through the ol' copy of Relentless, to see just how many of those clutch performances I could find from the goold old days, and there were even more than I remembered. Whether it was Freddy Smerlas blocking the FG in '88 so Norwood could beat the Jets in OT, or Kelly's dive into the EZ in '89, or Frank Reich and Kenny Davis stepping up bigtime in the 'Comeback Game', this team was loaded with guys who more often than not made the big play when we needed it most.

Now, until they prove me wrong, we've got a bunch of guys who can make the big hit on a first-down play in the second quarter (and then dance around to make sure everyone knows who it was), but when it comes down to THE play at the end of the game? When we need just one more defensive stop, or a clutch catch to keep a drive going? We've seen guys on other teams make plays like that, but where are OUR playmakers?

I want somebody with this mindset:

"We needed a big play. Somebody had to make it, and I didn't want to wait around for anyone else."

"When it comes down to it, when you have to make the big play, you make it. I just said 'Guys, I know we can do it, let's put it all together.' "

We used to have guys like that, but now I'm not so sure. I really, really hope they prove me wrong....

45595[/snapback]

Yep...those were some magic days. No matter how bad things seemed, you always felt like someone was going to make a big play. It didn't have to be the superstar. It could be anyone. Now you have to wonder if we have any player capable of making those game-turning plays that make all the difference.

Right on, Indy. Like Smerlas said after that blocked FG - "I had a strange feeling we were going to block it. It's just something about this team."

Or Kent Hull, after the 1992 AFC Championship game - "I've never been around a team that finds so many ways to win a football game. You can't coach it, and it's not bred. It's just a growing process. On this team, each individual player complements the other."

You know what team that reminds me of now, don't you? Did you have any doubt whatsoever that Vinatieri would make that FG in the Super Bowl, or that McGinest would come up with the big sack to make Vanderjagt's FG try that much longer in week 1? Just like our SuperBills, this version of the Patriots EXPECTS to win, and seems to come up with the big play exactly when they need it.

Dammit, I miss that. I want it back.

Right on, Indy. Like Smerlas said after that blocked FG - "I had a strange feeling we were going to block it. It's just something about this team."

Or Kent Hull, after the 1992 AFC Championship game - "I've never been around a team that finds so many ways to win a football game. You can't coach it, and it's not bred. It's just a growing process. On this team, each individual player complements the other."

You know what team that reminds me of now, don't you? Did you have any doubt whatsoever that Vinatieri would make that FG in the Super Bowl, or that McGinest would come up with the big sack to make Vanderjagt's FG try that much longer in week 1? Just like our SuperBills, this version of the Patriots EXPECTS to win, and seems to come up with the big play exactly when they need it.

45623[/snapback]

Remember this from The Natural...

"Losing is a disease."

Man o' man, do we have a bad case of it!

45623[/snapback]

You're right. I don't think the Patriots are near as talented as those Bills teams of the early '90s, but I think they have that special something that many fans misinterpret as luck. Can you imagine if this board existed in the early 90s? The Pats trolls probably wouldn't be around here, but if they did stop by, they'd moan about how lucky we are, and we'd tell them that it isn't luck. Now the shoe is on the other foot.

I don't think what the Patriots have is strictly luck. I think they have a winning swagger about them. That attitude is important to have.

The filthy stench of losing was brought in by Mr. Greg Williams.  It's a B word to get rid of. :rolleyes:

45743[/snapback]

Correction:

The filthy stench of losing came in here with TD.

We could have had Jack Del Rio or Tom Coughlin as a coach.

Del Rio: 3-0. Coughlin 2-1. MIKE FRIGGING MULARKEY 0-2.

Ever since we did Flutie wrong?!

You are one goofy MF, bharami.

Oh no, we have defied the magical midget! We're billsfanone!

45466[/snapback]

ITS TRUE! :doh: I BELIVE ITS THE CURSE OF THE MIDGETO :rolleyes:

( the red soxs fan know what I mean )

I agree that "90% of the game is half mental." (Yogi Berra) Winngin breeds the blelief that no matter what happens you can overcome it. Losing breeds an insidious self doubt. No matter what good things happen there is a nagging suspicion that it's all going to come crashing down. It's like a psychological inertia and accounts for the fact that teams that look better on paper still manage to lose while other teams with average talent manage somehow to keep winning.

The question is what do you do about it? With the inertia of physics you overcome it by the application of additional energy. It takes more energy to start something moving than to keep it going. Coaches have to do a more effective job of getting team members to execute and cut down on costly mistakes. Players have to concentrate more. But you can try too hard too (Travis Henry's fumbles two years ago and Josh Reed's struggles last season). Coaches that take over losing teams and turn them into winners really earn their salaries. While Buffalo's 0-2 start makes me pessimistic about the chances of making the playoffs, I think it's still premature to say Mularkey can't get this ship turned around. I think if Buffalo can get that first win we will start to be a dangerous opponent for teams that have us later in the season.